Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass question.....mines frosted.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brewsir, Mar 7, 2010.

1. brewsir

brewsir

I recently scored a 56 chrysler that sat under a eucalyptes tree for the last 30 years or so and the glass is pretty foggy on the outside. I have tried 000 steel wool with rubbing compound,vinegar,glass cleaner,brake cleaner all to varying degrees of success. but the white milkiness on the glass seems to come back. Anyone fixed this before that can offer real advice and not just theory???

2. If the glass has been etched by acid, you might have a big problem.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

BETTER throw out a wanted ad for windshield,did the same with 53 chevy and spent more on trys than on new glass.

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Ok, if the glass is stained ,u can wet /dry sand paper graduating to finer grits. If the fog is on the laminate film theres nothing u can do.u can use as patterns .any good glass shop can cut them for you (flat glass) front &rear curved glass will have to be replaced w/another

5. brewsir

brewsir

Ok cool..it's stained on the outside...so work up to what ....2000 grit then polish?

6. Ob1

Ob1

Cerium oxide on a felt bob mounted to a variable speed buffer motor. Make a paste of the cerium oxide with water. Spend a few minutes working the paste into the felt, sparing apply to the glass. Power up the buffer to a medium speed and work on the frost, occasionally dipping into the paste as it spread on the glass and bring it back into the work area.

Worked auto glass for 5 years...

7. pitman

pitman

{Cerium oxide} Any sources for this magic stuff?

8. Ob1

Ob1

There is a large online auction house...

9. If you can't find it from an industrial supplier, Eastwood sells a windshield polishing kit, probably the same stuff.
    If you didn't clean it good enough before starting, the tree goo is still down in the crevices of the rough surface, so clean it really well first.

10. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Gemstone and Lapidary Supply houses like Graves Supply handles fine abrasives. Cerium oxide is the one used for softer materials like glass. Here is the link.

http://www.gravescompany.com/polishin.htm

11. pitman

pitman

Fergit the Oscars, the man delivers a gem!:D
    Huzzah!

12. mikemo

mikemo

I just ordered new back glass for my Shoebox, but not before I wasted a lot of time and money trying to remove that frosted glass issue from the old one. Because the glass is tempered it would not respond to sanding, polishing kits or anything else. Good luck with yours though.

13. Ob1

Ob1

Tempered will polish, it is harder to do, and you have to watch out to not overheat it. Not something I would try with a drill-mounted bob though. Spray bottle is good to have around as the paste dries.

Best to remove the glass, that stuff gets everywhere!

14. what model is the Chrysler? Hardtop or?

I might have that w/s..give you a screaming deal..and save you some trouble.

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

the cerium oxide will work.do'nt let it get hot ,use plenty of water .but it will take for ever and small areas at a time .start with 1000 grit with water like your sanding a painted surface ,wok to finer grit to polish .it will take just about anything off the glass and leave it smooth