Register now to get rid of these ads!

'glass Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordguy78, May 30, 2009.

1. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I just found out that Scott Rods is producing Fiberglass Henry Js. I know the old term "steel is real" but these are pretty neat. They sell a gasser or prostreet kit for these. Has anyone on here ever built one of these kits? If so, how was the quality of it? www.scottrodscustom.com

2. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I think that is a good thing.Most of the Henry J's i have looked at are parts cars at best because of rust.I know everyone has a different take on steel vs glass.But the glass ones are cool too....
    They make a great looking gasser too!...

Steve

3. cool..an easy way to skip all the usual henry J rust repair....it says "call for pricing" I'd love to know how much a body with bare frame will cost. I don't know why they do this stuff...just post a bare-bones price for us po-boys.

4. rick finch

rick finch

I think it's a cool idea too...who cares if they are glass!

5. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Way cool...Always dug Henry J's...:D

6. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Click on the Winter Specials. It gives the price of the Henry J body.
    Bill

7. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

If it wasn't for glass bodies this hobby would have died years ago. I owned one glass body numerous years ago and disliked the body as the wiring was alot of work, etc.... Now saying this, who really cares if it is glass or steel, go out there and have fun.... I looked at one at the Hot Rod Reunion in Columbus 2 years ago which was being displayed in the flea market, it looked pretty good....

8. chevy3755

chevy3755

there being made in Ohio also..............

9. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i seen one in this months hot rod mag.i think it said $5500 for the body.

10. I think its cool looking
    But I still like mine better
    [​IMG]
    It is also for sale 10,000.00:D

11. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i wanted to buid i henry j gasser.i act.bought one but wasnt able to get it out of the guys backyard.so i bought my opel kadett instead.i thought i would past some pics.i also through one of don moyers pics.in{he helped me build my car.

Attached Files:

12. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

oh an i just painted it.strato blue flake.it didnt come out bad for my first time flaking a car.it only cost me $75.00 to do it{$20.00 in flake $55.00 in hardener and reducer}i had some old clear{at least 7 years old}my frieand had a gallon from work s&m autobody gave me the black basecoat and my friend don gave me some.050 crushed glass to put on it on the last coat of flake.oh yeah i also painted it in a tent that i bought from tractor supply.

Attached Files:

13. Half glass Henry J
    [​IMG]

Billet motor . . . goes fast.
    [​IMG]

That's trad, is it not?:cool:

14. If some body bought this one I would buy a glass one and build a gasser this time.

15. henryj429

henryj429

I built mine from a rusty steel body, and that's exactly how I'd do it again. I wouldn't even know where to start with chopping a glass body. I'll stick to steel, thanks.

16. pastlane

pastlane

Henry J's came rusty right from the factory. As much as I hate rust repair it's a fact of life here. My welder doesn't have a setting for fiberglass so I'll have to stick with steel.

17. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I have a Steel 51.. its also a little rusty.. and thats the Challenge.. The Glass version would be a last resort like the Willys Coupes.. they look well done though..

18. saltracer

saltracer

[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]
    tried to post a picture of our on again- off again project.

19. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

[​IMG]

I thought I would post a pic of our latest glass Henry j body, it has my new gluein glass and smooth firewall.

Scott/ScottRods

Attached Files:

20. C.Sweeny

C.Sweeny

Very cool.

What is the wheelbase requirement and chassis width needed?

21. My buddy has a 51 Henry J for sale right now if anyone is interested ,Let me know Gary

22. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have been saying for ten years, "if someone would make a 'glass j, they would pop just like the willys did"
    i have two, one is a straight '60's street gasser and the other will be a drag racing gasser, when i finish it.
    both are steel and after all the welding and work that went into them, i would rather have had a 'glass one. just wish i could afford one.

23. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here' a picture of one of our Henry j fiberglass race bodies that I built and painted for an exhibition wheelstander that myself and Carl bilski of Sandman motorsports built,it has a blown and injected 540 bigblock chevy in it for power, and the body lifts hydrualicaly from the rear, it has my one piece frontend and my lift off race doors. it will make its debut in the spring of 2010 at nostalgia events around the U.S. you can see the build pictures of it at the website,www.scottrodscustom.com

Seeya!
    Scott/ScottRods

Attached Files:

24. storm king

storm king

I saw Scotts stuff at the Hot Rod Reunion in BG, and it was nice enough. Better than a lot of glass bodies I've seen. I remember seeing some introductory pricing in a magazine before that and it seemed a reasonable deal.

25. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

i like the flat black one sitting with the yellow one , cool looking ride loved those since i seen one in HOTROD in the 80,s

26. Hemi Allstate

Hemi Allstate
    from Kentucky

Looks like a great way to build a lightweight drag car. Mine is about half glass now. Front end, and doors are 1960s glass and quarters are current replacement parts. All took a lot of work to fit an straighten.
    I hope to finish it this winter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  27. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Hemi Allstate
    That thing looks just plain baaaad, I like the setback!!
    Nice work!!!

Scott/ScottRods

28. Hemi Allstate

Hemi Allstate
    from Kentucky

Thanks Scott,
    I have owned the car for 40 years and I am giving it a make over.
    Really like the Henry Js that are now offered in all glass. I hope to see more of them racing as a result.
    Here is an inside pic.

Mark

Attached Files:

29. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Nice Car HEMI ... ..I have a 51, and will be a while before its done, but its getting there...

30. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I always had a pipe dream of making my own "new" car. But it would have to be an enclosed car. I always liked the Henry J. Maybe some day when I win the lottery I'll build me a new fibreglass J :)