Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think pre HAMB, Ford Barn and Brookville, it was not much of an issue to admit owning a glass car. Actually I'm quite proud of my Wescott body and despite my acknowlegement of what B-ville has done for the car world I'm not sorry I didn't jump on that bandwagon.

2. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

Me too! I've just ordered a set for my coup :D

loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  3. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

What size did you order? Mine are 15" x 4.5" and 15" x 8.5". I also have a set of 15" x 7" for fun. Are you taking the fenders off ?

chryslerfan55 and Baron like this.
  4. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

I'm going 15" x 4.5" and 15" x 7" wanted to go 8.5"s at the rear but didn't quite work. I'm staying with the fenders but want to lower the back end a few inches. The 7"s centralise the tyres better in the fenders than the current wheels and should give a little more clearance

5. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Sounds great , we will definitely need many pics once they are installed. I mounted my tires on the floor, because most tire machines grab the wheel lip and leave a hell of a gouge. Watch your tire diameters for clearance, but also factor in the size as opposed to the scale of your ride. It all makes the car look great.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

I'll post some pix when fitted. The lowering will take a bit longer as I need to modify the exhaust first

chryslerfan55 and Splitbudaba like this.
  7. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Have FUN!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

IMG_2443.JPG IMG_2439.JPG Found more pics of the frame and suspension. IMG_2426.JPG IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2423.JPG

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ex wife had a sh-fit when I bought a 'glass body. (1970 project later went to steel, found a body from a friend, no thanks to her)
    That ex had some hare-brained ideas... Thank God and Greyhound she's gone!

Your project (and Daveh, and DDDenny, and a few others on here) are testimonials to the Glass Car!
    Gibbons started with fiberglass body parts in 1954, (thanks, Highlander...I thought it was '55) almost long enough to be 'TRADITIONAL'!
    I get itchy just thinking about my unfinished roadster...:eek:

10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

IMG_2561.JPG IMG_2562.JPG View attachment 3579835 IMG_2555.JPG Got some work done this weekend, right door is hung after much cutting and reshaping, still needs final trim after latch and window gets installed. Now for the left!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  11. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

That's looking great, all the hard work will be worth it when it's done! The stance is perfect
    My new wheels were delivered yesterday and I'm hoping to get them fitted tomorrow :D

12. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

13. Jibs

Jibs

^^^^^Very nice, wheels make the car.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  14. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Outstanding, love the look, wish we could cruise into a local car show together. We would get some stares!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

That would be very cool! I went to a local breakfast meet yesterday nice to see this one there:

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

Also very nice '28 Tudor (sorry to hijack your thread again!)

IMG_1911.JPG

chryslerfan55, Tjompen, Baron and 5 others like this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Very Nice, glass doesn't make me itch. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Tjompen and loudbang like this.
  17. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

IMG_20170807_0556587_rewind.jpg IMG_20170807_055643_burst_01.jpg It's been awhile, finally have full use of my left thumb after the table saw incident. Started the pedals and master cylinder install. Here are the results.

18. shortypu

shortypu

Love your choice in wheels.My glass car has same combo but 10'' in the back.You have done a great job building this one,great look . IMG_4227.JPG

19. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Love the look, I think I have the same rear tire size, but went with the 8.5" wheels to get that puffy tire look from the 60's. How do your front tires feel on the road? I want to go with a dirt track look someday. Grew up at the Reading Fairgrounds dirt track, with the flatheads and 30's Ford bodies. Miss those days!!!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. shortypu

shortypu

I wanted the deeper dish 10'' wheels but I love how your tires look on your wheels.These front tires actually drive great and are easy to turn.I had pretty much the same combo on my 33 pu for over 8yrs and put a lot of miles on them with no problems.I had great tread wear out of them too.I like the way you mounted the seats into the chassis.My seats are bolted to the rollbar which is bolted to the chassis. IMG_0041.JPG IMG_4197.JPG

21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Been watching your build. Really like what you are doing. Looks great!
    SPark

22. dinglebarry

dinglebarry

Some folks are fortunate to have a orig steel body for their rod.
    Many go thru great length to restore them. I'm not getting pettiness to run down a viable alternative choice. Some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

drum.jpg Getting back on the coupe, just ordered a rear Buick style brake kit from John's Industries. Nice folks! Should be a straight bolt on deal. Kit matches my quick change back spacing, register, big ford outer bearings, and bolt pattern. Looked at using real Buick stuff, but since I have a glass body (the horror) and don't give a rat's ass what other people think, I took the easy way out, not to mention the safest. Here's the drum, looks a lot like the original!! A trip to the glass beader and it will match the fronts perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  24. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

They're gonna look very cool through the spokes!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

IMG_2350.JPG
    Yep I made them send me that pic before I placed the order. Here's the front, very close to original. How's your ride? IMG_2413.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  26. daveh1932

daveh1932
    from UK

There's nothing nicer than a deuce hiboy with finned front hubs, that looks spot on. Mine's all cool thanks, collecting a few bits and pieces for some tweaks over the winter and driving it as much as I can. I got chatting to a guy at the local shopping centre last weekend when I took it for a spin who is building a cool T bucket

27. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Received the Buick/Ford rear brake kit from John's Industries, great people to work with. Parts were boxed well, no broken fins, brakes went on my quick change in 15 minutes per side, with no mods. Love that! 1.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg The look is just what I wanted, with no clearance issues. Now I know I'll be able to stop whenever the need arises. Thanks John's Industries, worth every penny!!!

28. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

c.jpg w.jpg Decided to make a trans tunnel, with a parking brake mount over the weekend. Used 4 1/2" plastic drain pipe to make a mold, and laid up a tunnel panel. Used a steel driveshaft loop to contain the driveshaft, weld to the frame crossmembers and give me a good place to mount the parking brake handle (Lokar). All went well, three coats on the aft section so far. Will put 4 coats on the entire tunnel.

29. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I just read through the entire thread. I am extremely impressed with your vision and the wide range of skills you possess. You know what you want and then you make it happen! Not many people can do that!
    Your '32 is beautiful now and will be more beautiful when finished.
    Please keep sharing your pictures!
    I am subscribed !!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app