Register now to get rid of these ads!

giving the jercury a face lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glassguy, Dec 9, 2004.

1. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Dave,
    thanks for those progress pics !!! That was about time ! I surely missed your input regarding your Merc here but as we can all see it's on a good way !
    A friend of mine has a '64 Impala and he wanted the car to be shiney black and it was a real pain in the ass for the painter to get the body that straight...so I know what you are going through,very,very time consuming if you wanna do it right...keep up the good work,it's definitely worth all that "trouble" !!!

The bike looks good too ! Like that front(?) FL fender used for the rear.Classic Bobber style.What hardtail conversion is that ? Is it a section from an old frame or are they availalble this way like they are for Triumph's ?

2. glassguy

glassguy

its a santee weld on from j&p. worked out great very easy!! the back fender will be cut to a differnt shape.. ill let fred answer any questions about it he will be on later today

3. glassguy

glassguy

for those that dont know the car this is what it used to look like

4. =mike=

=mike=

Hey man , I lost your email from our chat , but I did find that whole thread about my old car . . . good side shots & everything . did you see it at all ?

5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Sweet looking I like the scallops.

6. glassguy

glassguy

hey mike... i did find that the next day and saved it.. i only saw the car from the back and thought it was a 2 door..then i saw the rest of it . that is hands down the best 4 door merc ive ever seen..this one was a 4door too!!

7. Bryan

Bryan

Looking good!

I love the stance, too! I remember from an earlier post that it's not bagged-how did you get it that low?

Bryan

8. glassguy

glassguy

the front is cut coils, and frame c'd for upper control arm claerence. but its getting dropped spindles now... the rear is shackles flipped, springs dearched 3" , 6" blocks, c'd frame , and raised floor tunnel.. with air shocks.. it actually rides pretty nice and i tow a trailer with it.. it will ride much better in front with the new spindles and modified lower control arms.

9. I never would have guessed that. Did you build your merc? I would love to see some pics of the build or at least an explanation of what was done to it. Looks like the doors were lengthened or were coupe doors used or ??????:confused:

10. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Dave,
    The merc is really coming along considering all of the side projects you've been getting done. Fitchburg is deffinately within reach. I'll cruise over there with you in my sedan!
    Hey, where's the new roadster? I didn't see it in any of the pic's.

11. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Is that engine in the background the new one that's going in?
    What's the plans for your trans, are you sticking with the auto or are you hooking up the third pedal again?

12. glassguy

glassguy

i dont have any of the consruction shots in the computer yes i did biuld it , if you have issue 13 of magneto magazine theres lots of progresss pics , and theres some in issue 1 of kustoms illustrated... those are coupe doors , and a coupe roof cut in 3 pices for a real fastback look. spliced 1/4 panels

13. glassguy

glassguy

yup thats the new motor goin in next week!! for now i have too leave in that damn gay automatic, but im searchin high and low for another 5 speed, that auto took all the fun out of it,,,, keep your eyes peeled for me! oh and no progress on the "roadster" i think its movin back to brads house....

14. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Wicked bad Merc man! Good luck with the blocking...after blocking my '59 Cadillac straght to paint it shiny balck, I know exactly what you're going though! Keep up the great work!

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

God, you are fat, a lot fatter than you sound on the phone.

I love your car, I can't wait to see it painted.
    I'm gonna post some pics of my '54 tonight, it's done, except for the rub out.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

16. glassguy

glassguy

ok peaple i need your help!! when this rehash started the plan was to paint it sam barris green, then i decided black was the only way to go coz i paint every thing black, nad i think it looks the balls. and it matches the chopper and i dont feel like painting that over..now today im reading a post about sams merc, and im goin insane i want green again!!! whatta you clowns think??

17. glassguy

glassguy

can anyone photo shop this dark green met. ??

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dark Green sounds real swell.

19. glassguy

glassguy

hey nads dont wait too long to buff that out !! if you used urothane it gets to hard to buff.. most ppl do it the next day, when i painted that black 50 ford i waited 2 weeks befor i buffed it and it took for ever to get the shine coz the clear was just to damn hard..

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It'll be done tomorrow.

21. =mike=

=mike=

okay man , you know what I think !

wocka wocka wocka

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Paint it black. Do the same color scheme you had before with the gold scallops. It looked way to good to change and will look even more kick ass with shiny paint.

23. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Hey Dave,
    there's a very special look about a rubbed out shiney black paint job but as you know for sure,the body must be super straight as you can see every little wave.
    You know that.Well,dark green sounds pretty cool too !!! Either way,your Merc will look bad ass but I believe the dark green will make your Merc even more outstanding.I even dig your Merc as it is now,black and gray primer,full of dust etc.What I wanna say,your Merc will look bitchin' no matter what color you are going to paint it...it has THE look by that awesome chop and that mighty cool stance...

And =mike=,I know you're watching this.Did you find any pics of the other black Merc yet ? Thank you.

24. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I find that hard to belive that YOU of all people are changing your mind about the black? ...NOT

Until the color, whether it's black, green or pink is on the merc for a month it won't be final. And even then it will have only been final for a month!

25. HoldFast

HoldFast

sorry it's a quicky...but here's a dark green...

26. glassguy

glassguy

ok i couldnt wait for you guys.. i did a test panel, green it is!! this color will have a little more copper pearl in it when i paint the whole thing. it will probley look black at night. the body might look straight at nite as well...

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Yea I know, an hour was toooooo long!
    It almost looks black in the pictures now. Is the copper pearl going to lighten it at all, or will it stay that dark? Either way, it's going to look killa as they say!
    The Million Dollar question...How long before you get the other side done and the whole car shot?

28. glassguy

glassguy

im goin like hell now! i wanna be layin the paint down by wed nite march 30th come hell or highwater..bring your work clothes

29. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

dave - go green! you'll have a southie ghetto pass...!

30. leadsled53

leadsled53

Dave,green all the way,plenty of black mercs out there and they look killer,but green will really stand out,now stop changing you're mind and get er done