Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Give me all your tips for hanging Model A doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keeper, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

I have mangled mine up pretty good trying to go it alone. What are your tips for aligning your doors? I am working on a 28 Sedan. Pics welcomed (or should I say needed)!

2. alchemy

alchemy

The body is bolted solidly to a nice frame, right?

Make sure your pins are tight but not rusted. Ream for oversize pins if needed.

Install the body hinge halves. Then run a long rod through them to verify they are in line. When you have adjusted them so, hang the door on them and bend the doors hinge halves to move the door into place. The thick forgings of the body halves shouldn't be bent, but can be scooted back and forth, or spaced out a bit with a shim. The door halves can be heated up and bent. They are forged.

If you find the doors can't be adjusted because the opening is skewed, you may need to use shims under the body bolts in front of or behind the doors to bring one end of the body up. Like, if the door fits nice to the cowl, but hangs low on the back edge, a shim under the bolt right under the front door post should tilt the back edge of the door up.

3. Duke

Duke

I had to add shims under the body blocks to get my doors to hang right.