Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting the stank out of old seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbmopar, Feb 23, 2008.

1. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

i've got a split bench froma 72 new yorker i think will work in my 55 Dodge truck.....i can only assume it will be on the stank side, i've only towed the car home a couple of weeks ago.

Any tips on getting the stink out ? My in-laws bought a nice set of captains chairs from a GMC Surfari van that had a hint of cigarette smell, they hosed them down, scubbed them with some form of cleaner and let them air dry in the sun for a day or two, and that seemed to make them happy.

Just diggin into the collective conciousness here......:D

Thanks,
    Derek

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

what would you want to get rid of the smell? thats the best part

3. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Maybe not, i'd rather be known for the look, not the " phew " !

4. Go to the pet supply store,buy pet stain remover.Here it's called nature's miracle.Get's rid of animal urine smells so well that dogs can't smell it again. it's cheap too.;)

5. Use Febreze - not sure about the spelling.

Leave the windows down when you park it so air can circulate.

Doesn't take all that long to clear it up.

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I actually had to sell a car because my brother in law had an irritable bowel syndrome incident in the passenger seat of my car. I probably should have just gotten a new seat but the car somehow seemed "tainted" after that. He tried to clean it but nothing got it out. I sold the car and my sister eventually divorced him. It seems that neither of us could put up with his shit.

I think Fabreeze would do the trick for you though.

7. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Now that is some funny shit!

8. Weasel

Weasel

Ask momma - momma always knows best.

Try baking soda - work it into the seat and leave a couple of days, then brush out For stains hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore works wonders - rub it in. Let it soak for a few minutes and then dilute and rinse with water. Let it dry. It may ned a second application for stubborn stains.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My mom gave me a couch years ago, but I didn't realize her pets had gotten all over it.

I never even set it in the house, I left it outside for someone to pick up. It got rained on for a couple of days and that was followed by a week of bright hot sunshine. It brightened right up and smelled clean and fresh, I had it in three houses after that. :D

10. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

No pun intended.

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I use one of those Ozone makers. Then I spray it all done with an industrial deoderant. We run a used car biz, so we deal with all sorts of odors.

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Put it in an enclosed area with an open pan of bleach (don't get any on the fabric, of course)...leave it there for a few days.

Otherwise, remove it & put it in bright sunshine...

13. Old used car salesman trick. If it's not too bad, a couple of Bounce fabric softener sheets under the front seats. If it is too bad, while they are out, scrub them down with Lysol in HOT water and suck it out with a shop vac. Do it 2 or 3 times and then let them air dry.

14. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH THERE MAN ! :D:D:D

15. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

excellent ideas ! all of them are great !!!

I'm geared up now... i just need some sun...FOR GOD SAKES PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, awesome ideers guys !

Derek

16. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

That Febreeze stuff really works. I put a roof on a truck for a Hog Farmer, that smelled
    like shit inside and out. Steam blasted the outside and Febreezed the Hell out of the inside. Amazing, but it worked overnite. Did it again the next nite. His wife could'nt
    believe it. Saw it the other day and it looks and smells like shit again.

17. BigChief

BigChief

Seeing how you guys get about three less days of sunshine than old Rottenchester NY, your two sunny days are scheduled for July 1st and September 12th 2008 with an unexpected fluke day on December 2nd as a reward for the strength of the loonie against the American dollar. Your welcome. Now break out the sunscreen! :)

-Bigchief.