Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting discouraged

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicfins, Nov 5, 2008.

1. classicfins

classicfins

Hey everyone. Once again life has kicked me in the nuts and got me down and out. Last year I had to sell my '26 roadster project to keep my head above water, and this year the same thing is happening again. My internet business is slow, as are a lot of businesses right now, so I took a full time job with an ATV suspension mfg and now things are slow there and not getting many hours. Bills piling up, past due, you know the bit.... I've been gathering a few parts for my RPU project and can't seem to find time to work on it, and now need to sell what few parts I have gathered up to help pay bills. I've already sold a car, 4 wheeler, a couple of my old boats, and now will probably have to sell my hot rod project. Crap, I'm getting tired of this cycle. Sorry for whining, but shit I needed someone to cry too other than the wife. LOL Ok, I'll be quiet now. Time to surf the threads some more. Can't do without my daily dose of HAMB. Long live the HAMB! :D

2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

My friend, just keep a positive attitude. With the love of a good woman and good health you can go beyond what's happening in the present. Good Luck, you may be down, but you are definitely not out.

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

Not exactly there yet,but i havent worked any overtime at my job in over 2 months now and this time last year i had to call in sick to get a day off.I havent had to sell yet ,but im sure not buying either.I hope the end of this economy slump is close ...

4. i sell cars all the time to make ends meet. they are just cars. i have one car i will never sell but the rest are always up for grabs. family first life sucks sometimes but family is always more important than a car. that is what makes us men.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I'm sure this slumped economy won't peak until 2015.

6. 3 years tops all will be back

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

I think the world ends on Dec 21, 2012.

8. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

my wife and I just said "#uck it". If your going down go down in style....We just started a solid surface restoration business and went every dime we had in debt. If you are gonna win, win big, lose, lose big.... If we win I get unlimited hot rods, if we lose, some creditor gets an old rusty 63 galaxie. I put my faith in God and He will see us through it. Don't get discouraged, keep the faith and great things will happen. :)

9. James427

James427
    BANNED

Did you part out that 69 Charger?????????

10. Ya, I've watched things go too around me and it just seems a great time to "downsize" as they call it.
    One thing you got to be glad of is that you dont have an absolute ton of stuff weighing you down.
    I think little guys will fair better than large businesses. More manuevering room.
    Keep your chin up. They cant hold a good man down for too very long.Good time to look around and ask a lot of questions. Be nosey. Poke your head in your friends shops and talk to people. You'll find a lot of friendly advice from older guys whove been where you are at now...

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Get rid of the credit cards. Cut them up.
    Read Dave Ramsey.
    Build up a savings account. Just for things like this. I got fired in March. Between April and July, we had two root canals (paid for out of pocket), the rear end in my daily blew up, and we had to replace the entire heat and air system in my house. I also bought a new computer and pro camera for my new life as a freelance writer. Didn't have to sell anything to do all that. I'm not bragging or anything like that...I'm pointing out that the hits can (and will!) just keep on coming, and if you're not prepared, you're screwed. Always plan on getting screwed. Being prepared for it will be the difference between taking it dry or having some Vaseline.

Then get yourself a Plan B, and the framework of a Plan C, so when A goes away, you can fall back on the other. My Plan B was freelancing. Every man needs a Plan A, B and C.

It'll get better. I totally understand about needing support and just needing to vent.
    I've been where you are (just this year), and pulled through, so keep your attitude positive.

-Brad

12. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

I have always been the source of what some people call habitual bad luck. There is a darkness that follows me. I am the optimist with no end. I see the world as ever changing opportunity. With every problem there is inevidably a solution. And with the right guidance there is you to solve it. Before you had what you have, you wanted it and through coordinated circumstance and calculated response you gained it. And before that so did some one else. And without it again you will be driven to gain once again, and you will. The tide rolls, and so do we.

13. Yea, been there. Topless Ford had some good advice. The main thing I want to say is that there are a lot of us who have had to sell off our "stuff" when things get tough. I have gone broke more than once, and yes, it sucks big time. However, you do survive and there are always more cars and motorcycles to be had. That is part of the fun. Remember you own the cars, they don't own you. God is really the one on control and He will see you through.

14. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

I broke my ankle in may. My wife had to have an emergency hysterectomy the month after. I took her to the hospital while I was stuck to a cane. My oldest daughter was assaulted at school. Broke my arm and have permanently lost 20 degrees of motion on the 4th of July. Lost my grandfather to cancer. The second one the same way in 10 years. Had to sell a lot to pay the bills. And it was stuff I really didnt want to get rid of. But my family loves me and I am on the way into finishing this year probably better than any in my life. But in no way will it be easy. But I am up to the challenge. I am given the ability to overcome, as we all are, but only with persistence....and a little crying on the hamb.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next to that, having a wife who thinks cash has an expiration date and who also tears up a car every time I get cash rat holed for a piece of equipment or one of the projects isn't all that bad.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I have had almost enough cash stashed for a new wirefeed and something gets torn up or craps out around here.

16. ChrisDidIt

ChrisDidIt
    from Santee, CA

it sure sucks classicfins. i m in the same situation as you are where i m pretty sure i will have to get rid of my beloved 52 :( . my wife was in a narly caraccident last year, we had to pay medicalbills with taxmoney and the guy who caused it´s insurancecompany are still playing runaround w. our lawyers etc. i hate to let the car go since i spent a lot of time and money to build it to keep it. but as friends of mine constantly reminds me, there are plenty of old cars out there still and when things are lightning up you can always get another...

17. I think alot of us, myself definitely included, are learning some big lessons this time...my screenprinting and embroidery business is slow as most of my customer's businesses are slow...in the past we have been recession proof as everybody used to up their advertising budgets in order to bring more business but this time it's different people have no available credit and they are scared...I have a couple of my "stashed" projects for sale and my Riviera which I thought I would never sell...oh well it's all replaceable and means nothing next to family and your health...good luck everybody and prayers sent to those who need it!

18. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....

I've sold plenty of cars to make things right.
    There's always more cars.

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

I thought i was the only one that had that problem .Everything in my household goes in cycles of breakin.Washer ,dryer,water heater ,Lawyer ,wifes $200 alternator on her latemodel ,etc. Just about the time i replace one another conks out ,then it starts all over agian .Its like someone knows when i have a little money saved for hotrod needs and then takes it away from me.The family comes first no question ,but it would be nice if i had my turn more than i have lately .I have pretty much had to give up racing ,just simple because i cant afford to fix what i break like i used to ...

20. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Come to michigan we've been dealing with it for years.....and it's going to get much worse real soon,

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Amen.

22. Sometimes you have to hunker down and or re-invent yourself. I've been with the same defense contractor since 1981, been through about 6 name changes but I'm still here and just got a promotion and 10% raise. Which is good since I just shelled out $1600 to have my chimney relined and I have a 20 year old in college.

I'm also a believer in keeping fingers in many pies, I have a side machine shop business and do work for other people in their shops when I'm slow with that. That's plan B.

Plan C, which I have yet to deploy is private tutoring. The soccer moms in my parts are very happy to shell out $60 per 45 minutes to have their kids tutored for just about anything. I'm equipped to handle math, chemistry and physics. I have a brother who does just math tutoring, nothing else.

So, I'm sure most of us have hidden talents that can be turned into cash. Some areas of the country are better than others and I've heard of people applying for jobs and asking for less than minimum wage just to get the job! Which is shocking as shit to me.

My advice, work on yourself to look as good as possible. Which is big in getting hired, or not getting hired. Take a class at your local high school, be more computer literate, learn spread sheets, enroll in a degree or certificate program in something. There's money out there, just find a way to scoop it up.

Bob

23. Kerry67

Kerry67

I feel that bad luck happens to me as well. Fortunately, the economy has not affected me too bad yet, however my work has slowed way down and if something did happen where I lost my job, I would be screwed with capital "F".

Keep your head up, it'll get better hopefully when "W" is out of office.

24. classicfins

classicfins

No, it belongs to a buddy of mine. I just talked him out of the motor/trans. Poor thing needs someone to do something with it. It's getting in pretty bad shape.

25. classicfins

classicfins

Thanks everyone. Just reading these words of encouragement and advice make me feel better. Ok, off to work. How's that go.... I owe, I owe, so off to work I go! lol

26. James427

James427
    BANNED

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by James427 [​IMG]
    Did you part out that 69 Charger?????????
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "No, it belongs to a buddy of mine. I just talked him out of the motor/trans. Poor thing needs someone to do something with it. It's getting in pretty bad shape."

To me, there is a HUGE opportunity missed right there. Instead of snatching the engine out, I would have bugged him for the whole car, cleaned it up and sold it. Seems to me that there would be some decent profit in doing that over and over again. I'm sure there are cars near you that are not your cup of tea, but wanted by lots of people that are willing to pay good $$ for it. That's what I do to pay for ALL of my car fun and then some.

27. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

x2.

28. What he said. www.daveramsey.com best move you can make.

29. i just got home from the dentist from having my teeth cleaned $215 for a hour in the chair. that gets paid before you leave the building. i'm self-employed and not showing any signs of slowing down. i service and repair food processing equipment (at the production level) and still remember during past hard times my dad (had grocery stores) saying "people have to eat!" i keep my fingers crossed daily.

30. Kerry67

Kerry67

I like Ramsey too.......But if he REALLY followed Ramsey, he would get rid of everything including every car & part he has. I still believe you have to have something in your life to take your mind off things and not worry about money and work your whole life. Maybe quit buying parts and focus on fixing & detailing what you already have. Gotta have some pleasure in life as well. Easy for Ramsey though........He's rich. Granted, he went through tough times but that does not mean everyone can do what he did and come out like he did.