Register now to get rid of these ads!

Get out your thinking cap, I could use your ideas.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

My scanner is down or I would draw this out and scan it in so I'll try my best to describe it. Lay the strip on the edge of a workbench with a piece of angle iron layed in side it and clamp it down nice and tight so it won't move. Get 2 pieces of 1" x 2" pine and clamp one on either side w/ C clamps about every 8-12" on the flange you want to bend down. If you have any C clamp vise grips put a few of them on there and crank the sucker down to where you want it. The angle iron should keep it put while the wood will allow for an even bend without marring the metal. Basically I think you'd be able to make a break. If the C clamp vise grips don't offer enough leverage cut some angle iron to add extra pull.

2. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I got ya! I got ya! My concerns are:
    1. The thickness of the angle will add to the height as it will sit on the wood.
    2. The warping that will more than likey happen when using my plasma to cut the unwanted flange off ( it would be minimized if welded or secured to the new angle prior to cutting).
    3. I planned on powder coating these to match the truck, so all my welds and warps will have to be metal finished. The more ideas the better. All will be taken into account.

3. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Are the wood planks custom sizes? Or did they come in a kit?

4. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Take the two outside wood floorboardes, run them through a tablesaw to change the clamp down slot, only on the outside edge. Redrill mounting holes on the wood and the cross member, use two "normally" middle runners on the outside runners. No bends and moving the mounting holes "inside" will support the runners. Simple , easy.

5. I would use a thinner angle. That's all I had on hand. My sheetrock supplier has some nice thin angle, hat channel, regular channel, or you could have something bent up.

The flange only has to be enough to spot weld to (3/8" or so). Your wood will be undersized to allow for expansion anyway so it could be just shy of the strip and height would not be affected.

If you rosette weld it, drill your holes in the bottom piece and damage on the top will be minimal.

I cut my piece on the bandsaw.

How will you be attaching it to the bedsides?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I really don't plan on it. I have a frame I built to raise the wood and the bolts should hold everything in its place.