Register now to get rid of these ads!

Georgia based hot rod builders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johndee138, Oct 27, 2010.

1. johndee138

johndee138
    from Atlanta GA

I just received delivery of a 1937 Ford 8 (like an Anglia) from New Zealand. I would like to update the running gear and drivetrain to something that will keep up with modern traffic and stop in a reasonable distance. Im in Atlanta and am looking for some input as to who and what might be the best way for me to realize the possibility of making this little Ford into a daily driver. It's way too cool to just to use on sunny Sunday drives to the park. Im not looking to build a tire smoking gas hog, just a nice dependable economical 4banger restorod.

2. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Welcome to the H.A.M.B! I'm sure someone is going to ask anyway, so...got pics? Sounds like a very cool project!

I'm all for improved driveability, but are you serious about daily driving it in Atlanta? I get nervous driving any nice car in Atlanta traffic, and that has nothing to do with my car...its all the idiots on the road. Hopefully you don't plan to do a lot of inside the perimeter driving with something like that.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I know a guy down here in Griffin, (about 40 miles South of ATL) actually 2 different guys that could do this job. Get back to me if you are interested, although I'm sure there are others who can do the job.
    If you want to stick to 4 bangers and rear wheel drive, and not a lot of specially machined conversion work, it's gonna be either a 2300 Ford or some sort of Jap or Ford Ranger pickup for the drive train. Might even consider using frame and all the drivetrain from a small pickup. Just do a lot of measuring and figgering before you jump ionto anything!
    I do somewhat agree about ATL drivers, but that's what we buy insurance for!
    Dave

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

got pics? sounds cool

5. kma4444

kma4444

Shoot me a message as I might be able to help you. I'm in the Conyers/Covington area

6. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Almost any small pickup truck in the last 30 years might have a 4 banger power train. That certainly includes some of the Japanese trucks, but there are trucks from Ford, GM and Dodge that could have appropriate drive trains as well.

There are also a few small cars that have rear wheel drive drive trains.