Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Generator smoking???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty Dug, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I just had my generator in my flathead tested. It's 12 volt negative ground. Bought a new regulator as that was my problem. Now it's charging. The problem is when the key is off the generator started to smoke. I turned off the battery switch and checked all the wiring to make sure it was correct and it was. Has anyone had this problem before? Like everything else electrical there must be a simple fix but I just don't know what it is...

2. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I think the points (if it has them) are stuck in the new regulator, making the generator try to run like a motor.

3. vegas

vegas

Yup! The voltage regulator contact points are sticking...did you"polarize" the system prior to starting it?

4. vegas

vegas

For some reason, I am on #3 voltage regulator in my coupe because of the same problem...always scares the $#1+ out of me to see part of my car start smoldering like that!

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

According to the instructions that came with the regulator I touched the field wire to the battery terminal to polarize. Is that correct?

6. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

If the generator cutout is sticking, ditch the voltage regulator, get a new one. I had a voltage regulator, less than 24 hours old, burn up my good generator while the truck was parked.

7. vegas

vegas

If that's what the directions said...I think different applications tell you do do it in different ways. Mine says touch "armature" to "battery".

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks for the help. When I was installing it, without the cover on, I dropped it which resulted in closing the battery contact. Corrected that and it's fine now. Never too old to learn something new. Thanks again.

9. vegas

vegas

Glad you got it fixed in the "pre-fire" stage! :D

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Yeah, It's a damn good thing I didn't just install it and turn off the lights and go inside last night.