Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gene Winfield Wow what a nice guy(metal class)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by temper_mental, Feb 13, 2009.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I meet Mr Winfield today at the Auto Rama wanted to check on the car before it started . My wife and I spoke to him for a good thirty minutes. What a nice guy. He helped me out with some power plant questions for her Mercury and signed my trunk deck. He also told me about a metal class he puts on in Midland, TX (same week as roundup) if you are interested, I'm passing the number on call Jack Mclean 432-349-8210 .Also gave me pointers for the Texas Mile about suspension priceless.That made my day very nice person .
    Larry Whiteley

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very nice guy, indeed! ...And he can certainly talk your ear off! :D

Malcolm

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I attended his workshop in TX in '06. It's a great experience and worth it.

4. I attended back in October of 2007. Definitely worth the time, money, and experience! I would like to attend another.

Gene is the master of all trades KUSTOM.

I met Lanny Erickson at the class I went to. He owned and now owns again the first car Gene ever did a fade on. He showed me some build pics and present state of the car. Neat guy.

An amazing experience all around. FLT-BLK (Tyler), 67ImpWagon (Phil), and I couldn't quit going on and on about how kool it was to have attended. We were amped for weeks. Tyler even won the aluminum blister Gene made during the class.

Killer time.

See also: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219158&highlight=gene+winfield&showall=1

and

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217808&highlight=gene+winfield&showall=1

Reverend Jake

5. Rusty

Rusty

Man, I hate to hear they moved the dates of the school.

Roundup cant be missed. Gene is a cool dude for sure

Rusty

6. Gene was on a panel discussion a few years ago at the NHRA Museum. He talked about how he used to drop axles by cutting them and welding them back together. When he was stationed in Japan, he met a body man that made a fender for a Buick, from scratch. That is where he learned a lot of his technique.
    I've had a chance to talk with him in passing through the years in conjunction with the museum, Fathers Day Swap Meet and the GNRS. He's usually pretty busy.

7. 52lomofo

52lomofo

he's coming this way in july likely his first time on the east coast of canada he's gonna be at the atlantic nationals in moncton nb only 2 hour drive from me but worth it :)

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Don't miss the custom car & hot Rod gathering being put on at his place near Mojave,Ca along with customizer Larry Watson Oct 11.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Cool! I'll be there.

Yes he is probably the NICEST and most amicable car-celebrity I've ever met. Which is really incredible considering all the things he has done in the custom car world, drag racing, lakes racing, car clubs, military, etc. He's done it all! And he was nice enough to chat it up with me about my stupid projects. He saw my Chrysler and asked, "1957 New Yorker?"

"Yep! "

"What's that grille - '57 DeSoto?"

"Sure is!"

"I put one of those on my '56 Mercury."

"Yeah I know." :D

He grinned back. :D Made my day to have a hero of mine think my project is cool!

And he also told me to attend his metal class, so I guess he's a pretty good business man too, haha.

Attached Files:

10. I met him this weekend as well, very nice guy.

11. I took Gene's class at his mojave shop a couple of years ago. It was like hanging out with an older buddy who just knows everything. Too cool! really learned a lot.

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I got to talk to him today. Asked him some questions about his next Texas classes. He took the time to write down the dates and places for me. Super nice guy in my book.

13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

For all you DFW guys. We are going to host a metal class with Gene in the fall at our shop. I will keep you informed as we get some things firmed up.

Some time in the fall or spring we are also going to do a paint class with Gene as well.

Neither one of these should be missed.

14. OlDad

OlDad
    from Fargo, ND

Reverend Jake mentioned Lanny Erickson. Who is he? When I was in junior high school in Moorhead, MN a Lanny Erickson came to town (early '60s) and opened a speed and custom shop. I used to ride my bicycle down there and hang around now and then. I had a chrome bull nose on my bike. I had painted it Dodge red with a cheap electric spray gun and hand painted white scallops on it. Anyway, Lanny went on to become a member of Moorhead's police department although I believe he kept the custom shop going too. I always wondered what happened to Lanny. Could this be the same Lanny Erickson?

15. I was PM'd a few weeks ago from a fella who was asking the same question.

eugene vik wrote: "i have seen that name before and see you met him

did he ever have a custom shop in Fargo ND in the 60's????
    if so I have his business card in my album from when I was a kid
    of course then i was amazed by custom cars and now finally get to own some of them
    thanks eugene vik
    ada mn"

I don't know for certain, but I suspect he is the same guy. He told me where he was from, up North, but I don't remember which state.

I will contact the guy who is working with Lanney restoring the 56 chevy that Winfield faded. He's now in Texas.

I'll get back to you guys.

Reverend Jake

16. 51Cards

51Cards

He's the Best of the Best. Some folks could learn A LOT about Rodding Attitude and Manners from That Man.

17. OlDad

OlDad
    from Fargo, ND

In the case of Lanny Erickson. Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN are border cities, separated by the Red River. Eugene and I are talking about the same Lanny Erickson. Fascinating.