Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gene Winfield Is My Boss...Here's Some Fun Factoids...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Winfield Rod&Custom, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

I am looking forward to meeting him at GNRS this upcoming one.

One question... Will Gene be doing any workshops out here on the east coast? What a great experience that would be!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I met Gene at KKOA Led Slead in Salina, what a great guy. Always has time for you even being as busy as he is.

3. Talked to Gene at SEMA this year had not seen or talked to him in years.
    It was like yesterday he came around the booth and started taking about how I was and how was my family.
    Gene is the very best.

4. Sundt Productions

Sundt Productions
    from Arizona

I had the honor of working for Gene at the Canoga Park shop on the Bladerunner vehicles...

We were all so impressed with Gene's skills and talent, and the things he taught to us every day, we nicknamed him, Dean Gene of Winfield Tech...

All the very best for you, Gene, I will always remeber those days with pride and a smile...

5. Devin1

Devin1

Met Gene a couple years ago at a workshop in Dartmouth,we chopped a top on a 65 Buick.He has been in this area a few times since then..Gene is truly a legend and one of the GOOD GUYS!!!!:):):)

6. Original57

Original57

The wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Gene at So Cal Speed Shop's open day back in June. What a class act. I asked if it was ok to get a photo with him and his response was "Only if I can get my photo taken with your pretty wife". Of course, I said yes. Who says no to Gene Winfield? Come on........ :cool:

7. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times at shows and talking with him at my booth. I did a portrait drawing of him that he loves! I was pumped when he signed the original drawing, which I will never sell. He has interesting stories and is fun to be around. Hope to see him next year at some venues again! Great guy!!:)

8. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read this post, as I was drinking my morning cups, of coffee, Doh! The guy really is a human dynamo. One of the nicest guys I have ever met.The energy this man has will blow you away, If you have ever met him.His mind is going a million miles an hour, and his body seems to perform like Superman on steroids.He truly is one of my greatest inspirations, and if I ever start to slack off,I think What would Gene do? Get at it! Thanks Gene, for making me look forward to many more years of building.(I hope)

9. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

He gave me the shop tour this June.I felt guilty that I was taking to much of his time but he insisted on showing me practically everything and answered all of my questions. A pioneer;a craftsman;and a true gentleman.

10. * Never smoked, Never Drank and Never had a cup of coffee... 82 must feel really old if you never did anything like normal bodymen do....

11. Gean always greets you like a best friend.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I've met Gene and he seemed like a genuine person..
    No candy, No Coffee, No Smokes..?
    Dam..Im not worthy

I broke most of the rules when I was younger, and some of them that I liked, Im still breaking.:D:cool:

13. waynenoogen

waynenoogen
    from Sacramento

Had the opportunity to work on the new Gene Winfield DVD which was released when he was down at Mooneyes last week. You can see the trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2tQTeWnHFw with some great clips of Gene.

14. I stopped by Genes shop on a whim last year driving home from Ridgecrest. He wasn't there but i got the nickle tour that was worth 25. Got some great pics and some fun stories. I got the opportunity to meet Gene earlier last month at the Bo Huff show. He was very nice and signed a poster for me.

15. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Here's my story I was at mooneye's walking around and I seen Gene walking around getting his photo takin with a bunch of people he was very nice about it so i didn't get close to Gene looked to busy anyway about 20mins later Gene walks up to me and starts talking to ME !! I felt like little kid looking at his hero! Man that was so kool !!! nice's guy I ever !!

16. ronk16

ronk16

I never had the chance to meet the man I call my hero. Gotta make it out there!

17. Grumbler

Grumbler

And just to rub it in.....full head of thick hair! It's just not fair.......

18. MistShift

MistShift

There's times when I'm confronted by an issue on a car, I sit back and think "What would Gene do?" I think it through twice and try to do what I think he'd do... works out great!

19. abc123

abc123

I've never met him but I've read about him since I was a kid in the '60s and his name was in the magazines and on AMT model kits. I'm planning on going to his open house on Oct. 13 in Mojave, CA. Can anyone provide any details about the day there?

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What always stikes me about the "true greats" of this hobby is how down to earth and friendly they are, always willing to take time to talk with their fans. I put Gene, Norm, Chip, Bill H, and lots of others in that category.

That Monster Garage episode of them working on the 54 Chevy was TV worth watching. A group of true professionals confidently and quietly going about their job with no drama, just pure raw talent and years of experience.

You could put all the Johnny come lately's who have shows on reality TV today in a barrel, and they wouldn't equal one Gene Winfield in any respect whatsoever. Guys like him are the real deal and we can all learn from them.

Don

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

But he does drink milk. A true gentleman.

22. I met Gene the first time in Paso Robles and at Sherwood park in Paso, also at Hot August Nights, always the gentelmen and class act. Then we moved to West Virginia and of course I brought my 50 Buick with me and joined the Ohio Valley Street Survivors . To make a long story short I went to Lima Ohio to a car show and Gene was there so I walked up in a West Coast Kustoms jacket. Gene said I know that jacket and asked me if I still had that Buick.
    This year I bought some Caddy tail lights from him, but first he said take them with you and see if they work or not. Now that to me was a nice thing to do, but that is the Gene I know. Hope he has many more years of fun and salt flats speed runs.
    Rick Clyne

23. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i just found out Gene will be part of Voodoo Larrys motorama section at the chicago world of wheels this march i cant wait!!!

24. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Gene for president we know he gets thing done.

25. roaddog

roaddog

i have been very lucky to attend a weekend workshop,(Moncton N.B. Canada)the man is amazing to talk with.he takes the time to answer your questions and is really cool and down to earth.i can't believe the amount of energy he has also.there might be alot of supposedly reality television but there is nobody that will ever compare to this guy.he has been coming here to the atlantic nationals for the last 3 years,and he has plans to keep on coming.the show lasts for 4days and he is there from early morning and dances long into the night.he doesn't drink coffee or alcohol or smoke but he sure loves the lady's and maybe that's what is keeping him young.well i leave here on wed. and flying over 5000 miles to be at his open house next weekend,i am really looking forward to it.here we are in front of my pontiac.

Attached Files:

26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I got meet, talk to, learn from and hear his favorite joke last weekend at his class at Mercury Charlie's in Austin. Man was it great. "Everyday is a school day"

27. I moved out here to the High Desert of California a few years ago. Shortly after I got here I was exploring the area and passed Gene's shop. Being still young I really did not know who he is. I stopped in looking for info on where I may find a 1940 Ford Coupe. He was very friendly and chatted wit me for a while. While in his office I saw pics of vehicles I fully recognized. HOLY COW! Not long thereafter I went to one of his workshops at his shop. He lives less than 10 miles from me. It takes a ton of reserve not to make myself a nuisance. I need to take the hood from my '40 up to him for some louvers come to think of it. What a super cool old gentleman.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cannot emphasize this enough, if you are a pro car builder, amateur car builder, tinkerer, or whatever, and you have the means, take both days of one of Gene's classes.

You will learn more in 2-days than you'd believe, if I told you. The man is amazing. He will answer any and every single question you could possibly have, with the patience of a saint. He won't just show you, either, you will do it too.

Be prepared to be a bit embarrassed that he can out work you 2:1+, regardless of your age.

29. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I met Gene and some other builders by chance at the DF/W airport . I went and said hello . He greeted me like a life long buddy ,got everyone up for a picture. He is a true class act.

30. cc51

cc51
    from So Cali

I was at the starting line at El Mirage in May, I turned around and there is Gene taking taking pictures of my vintage MiniBike/Sidecar. Needless to say I was blown away! We talked for 20 minutes, It was great! He wasn't racing that day, Just walking around with his camera around his neck. The thing that suprised me was the amount of young people who recognized him. I will be at his open house this weekend!