Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This has to be one of the best threads on here in a long time.Keep us up to date on the progress.All the best to Leland and family.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. skoh73

skoh73

Loving the thread from the first post! Tell Mr. and Mrs. Leland they have a "hello" from Wisconsin, and a great big "atta boy" for getting her back underway. You, sir have been herefore dubbed St. Cabong for your efforts above and beyond the call of duty in regards to helping a fellow hotrodder. God bless ya, and PM me if you need any Photoshop help in order to help anyone make up their minds on paint.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I look forward to these updates! What you and Leland are accomplishing with his car is really great! Pretty darn cool!

4. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Very cool thread Cabong. I look forward to the progression of this relationship between you, Leland and a great car. I work with/for a great "experienced" (elder :) car guru. The cars and the work are great but the chance to hang around with folks that have done so much and are willing to share their memories and knowledge is incredible. Cherish this time and opportunity. It is indeed special.

olpaul likes this.
  5. Very rarely do I read a thread start to finish any more, but this story really tugged at my heart for reasons that wouldn't add anything to this thread.

I really appreciate your attention to detail, the explanations, and documentation.

Threads like this are in the minority, but the real jewels that I love to stumble across. Kudos to most all those who have replied, staying on-topic, courteous, and respectful of the owner, builder, and process.

Really a great thread. Thanks for sharing.

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It'd be way cool to get it back to the rodded-up 6-popper / stickshift again & toss that bellybutton setup to the curb !

7. George

George

circumvented?;):eek::)

8. Enjoying the story very much. A "hello" from southwest Missouri. Thanks for keeping
    us up to speed on your work. Looking forward to the big conclusion.

9. cabong

cabong

Okay, before going any further, I want to express a huge amount of thanks and gratitude to my pal Nick, for all the work he is doing. I don't know if he realized just how long this fence really is, or how tall. Kidding aside, Nick is a master with the rod and torch, and without his expertise, I know this endeavor would have had an entirely different outcome. I truly did not foresee the extent of the ideas and subsequent fabrication neccessary to make this all happen. Mind you, I'm not complaining for second, I'm just glad that Nick is here, and will not let me shortcut design or implimentation for the sake of time.
    Here we have begun to spot in the gravel shield (pan) to the fender extensions. Simple right???? Not hardly. The pan defines the bottom of the grille opening. It must be the proper distance from the Pontiac grille bar, which must be the proper distance from the Chev eyebrow, and both must be the same. They must be parallel, and also dictate where the Plymouth grille extensions are positioned, which must be even with the fender extension fronts, and snug to the headlight bezels (should they be chromed......BRAIN BRAKES!!!!!!!!!), and the pan must set 1/8" below the bottom of the grille extensions. Get the picture???

[​IMG]

I cannot believe what it took to make the pan work. It is narrowed, reshaped, extended to the rear, and fit to the bumper. It must be strong, as it will support the hood latch and several other brackets for grille and parklights. This will be accomplished with an inverted saddle from the bumper brackets. WAIT, OIL CAN!!!! GRAB THE TORCH AND HAMMER, QUICK. I can't tellya how many times that happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lords of Lead have blessed us again. Everything is spaced proper, parallel, and even. It's amazing how the many pieces all seem to fit.

[​IMG]

Now the bumper brakets start to take shape, but not tonite....... Now this brings up another kudo. My buddy Nick and his brother own a business, which requires full time work. This means that all the time spent on Lelands leadsled is done at night and on weekends. And remember, it was Nick's '40 Plymouth sedan delivery that lead me to Leland and this great piece of Winfield history. No complaints, we're just glad it has worked out this way, and that it's all coming together so 50's correct.

[​IMG]

HEY YOU, STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, just caught someone trying to steal one of Leland's big 'ol Olds skirts. Lucky for us he wasn't real fast, but he sure was slow. Back in the day, I culda snagged a 4-spd in less time. Not that I ever did, mindya........

[​IMG]

I'm get'n a tad ahead of myself, but here's another thought. Originally, aftermarket '55 Pontiac taillights were used. They really did not fit well, both physically and asthetically. So we're trying to come up with a '50's alternative. Below is a mockup based on using a rounded, but vertically straight lens. It is actually a Lee lens from a '54 Chev, turned backwards, just for the picture. The other option is having the buldge out, but wider of course. I think the straight look fits. What do you all think. If anyone needs a set of '54 Lee's, lemme know.

[​IMG]

Okay, time for football!!!!! But stay tuned, as I plan on doing a wee interview with Leland later today. Your gonna love this guy!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  10. cabong

cabong

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/br...rt=3&o=2&_suid=138894889029609931251433676065

I thought the full photo of the front would better show the fit of all the pieces. Bumper holes will all be filled, using the bolts that Nick modified on his lathe.

When coming up with the individual parts to use, we pictured what the frontal view would portray. Never, did I realize what we had done. When viewed from above, every piece on the front end has the same peak, and the same angle . All lines are parallel. Even the headlight shrouds match the bumper end protrusions. This answers the earlier question about the bumper choice, and also, the ridge running along the bottom of the '55 Ford bumper matches the ridge on the rear bumper, the '51 Merc.

11. Man this thing is moving along nicely! Some Winfield fades are really gonna light up this car. The lead gods are truly upon you, I've never seen parts go together like that. Keep on keepin on man.

12. Squablow

Squablow

The '55 Pontiac tail lights were in there during the original 50's build, or during the purple repaint? If they're original to the first build, I think it'd be a shame to change them. The grille and paint is a different story, since it was never finished

13. Torchie

Torchie

I agree with Squablow to a certain extent , but having said that....
    I view this whole car as an unfinished survivor custom. As long as you use "Period" correct parts who can really fault you for making it look better. (Although I am sure someone will.:D). You are not talking about changing the metal work at the rear. Just the lense. Correct?
    What does Leland think?
    To me that would be the determining factor.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Torchie.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

Ouch!
    (But then again, the R&C Dream Truck got its V8 transplant in late 1954.;))

You might find some inspiration from the 216 group linked in my signature.
    Here's one for starters. (Build thread HERE: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=19145

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

You're making awesome progress - I feel like a slacker , lol !

16. cabong

cabong

I'm not exactly sure when the Pontiac lenses wenton, but it was pretty early on. Problem is, they just don't fit. I mean they set at awkward angles, and seem to abrupt for such a smooth rear. Back then, there was not any access to the methods we have today of making lenses. The bodywork was done when the quarters went on, along with the flipside gas door. Leland is fine with the smooth look, and I'm sure Gene will concur. We thought about 50 Pontiac units, and even 50 Ford, but they too seemed like an afterthought, and did not with the lines. Imagine the Moonglow with a set of round taillights. Ouch!!!!

17. Awesome thread, work and story! For paint, get inspiration from the covers of the hot rod books of 1957-58. A fade would be awesome (what is Leland's favorite color?), but maybe a solid color, maybe with scallops, might fit the era a bit better.

Too many leaders and visionaries are passing on without sharing their stories. Get his before it is too late.

---
    Sent from the pits of dispair app. Wirelessly, of course.

18. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Nice work everyone, that looks so much more... correct.

-W

19. Finally got home from the bar to see the images full-size (smartphones are great, but only go so far). Great call on the bumper/splash pan/grill/upper grill shell combo. It looks perfect.

You obviously don't need too much opinion from the bleacher seats, but I'll throw out another vote for a six-banger; just seems more correct and results in one fewer SBC out there. Not sure about the taillights; if you don't keep the ones that are on there, make sure you pick ones that are peaked like the headlight doors for balance and consistent theme. I think you'll want SOME chrome on the headlight trim, maybe just a little around the "edge" of the headlight door, where the dark purple paint is located.

20. raymay

raymay

Could you show us a better full picture of the rear of the car with the current taillights and your 54 idea which does sound appealing. Interested in seeing how the light shapes flow with other lines on the back of the car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

great ! but it was easier to see your work on larger pictures ! :(

22. DtroitDinosaur

DtroitDinosaur

Subscribed! Keep up the great work.All the best to Leland and his family. Watching from East Tennessee.

23. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

How bout a picture of Leland and his family? It is really great on your part and all your buddies to bring this custom to life.

24. 55 Pontiac tail lights are simply round, best I can tell. Seems as if something more curved
    like Packard might go with the lines.

Here's a pic of a 55 Poncho.

[​IMG]

55-56 Packard........lights go with fins............

[​IMG]

25. DRD57

DRD57

Every part of this story is cool. I'll be watching this unfold.

26. cabong

cabong

I updated my post #129 with larger pictures

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ya know Bruce... a set of '56 Chrysler lenses (just the lenses) would look really cool in there...you'd have to reshape the opening a bit, but they'd be period correct...!!!

R-

28. I'm cheering for ya. Great work.

29. Squablow

Squablow

I suppose if you can come up with a different lens that fits in the current hole with little or no changes to the bodywork, that wouldn't really hurt the historical value. But I'm still against modifying the quarters to change the tail lights. Think about how bad it felt just taking some old lead out of the front fenders!