Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's another pix of the moonlighter in it's hay day just to keep ya'lls blood pumping until we start the rebuild[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a AWESOME picture Quain.

4. this will be great to follow, please keep us all posted.. Thanks for sharing

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene Cromer is planning to be at the Gasser race at Greer drag way November 17 if anybody would like to meet him in person. If you have a car that you would like to race you have to be approved for period correctness first just let me know and I tell you where to send pix's for approval.

6. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

This is an awesome build...I love seeing a local legend still out there doing what he loves. I can't wait to see the finished product. Here's a shot of Gene's Willys at Paradise Drag Strip in Calhoun, Georgia. He's running against Robert Nance.

[​IMG]

7. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

How cool is it that he still has that car after all these years! Give em hell Gene!

And I have to say, that Valiant is Bad A$$ also.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a great picture!

9. 3day

3day
    from UK

brilliant picture!

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Update Tomorrow Thursday Oct.-25th at around 3 oclock will be the big day. As most of ya'll know Cromer has already got the chassis from the willys in his shop and has done a little work on it. A camera crew (Darren Gray and Mike Piper) and I are headed to the secret location tomorrow to remove the body from the old shed where it hasn't saw daylight for years. This is cool to me because the last time I saw the moonlighter out side of that shed was around 1968 on the drag strip in Spartanburg SC. Mike and Darren will be videoing and taking pix's I will post them as soon as I can. Thank's for everybody's support on here. Word's can't describe how excited I am to be a part of this.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  11. AHotRod

AHotRod

I can't wait to see the unvailing of the Willys brought out into sunlight once again.

12. I'm pretty excited that Gene is able to be evolved with the resurrection of the Moonlighter and look forward to seeing the photos,,Gene really is a great guy and although I have never met Quain I have immense respect for the man that talked Gene into rebuilding the Willys.

I sure Gene is following this thread so I'm looking forward to seeing you at J Ed's in a couple of weeks. HRP

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We will get to meet in a few weeks I plan on coming to J Ed's I think Gene is planning to be there too. I was there last year and really enjoyed it a lot of history has been made there.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Great pic, great thread !!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Well they removed the Moonlighter today and actually sat it down on the original chassis. It was an awesome thing to see! I asked Gene how it felt to see the two back together. He just smiled and said "the old Moonlighter sees sunshine once again!' :D
    Here's a snap of Gene and Quain looking at the interior.
    [​IMG]

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

They have got to be excited, I know I'am .... was someone taking video?

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You will have to fuss at chevydeucewagon (darren Gray) he did the videoing today LOL. I can't wait to see it should be ready in a few days, also a lot of pix's I guess he just sent us a teaser.

18. Quain, have you ever asked gene why he called it the moonlighter?

19. Just wondering.

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene's wife named the car. In around 1963 Gene like most racer's back then had to have a regular day job to support there family. So building and working on the car came late at night so when he finished the car he didn't have a name for it (most car's had a name back then). His wife Ruth told him to name it the
    moonlighter because it was built under the moon light. He has Ruth's full support on the rebuilt how cool is that to still have both sweethearts after all these years.

Mtn Goat and Frank Taylor like this.
  21. Tom Norman

Tom Norman

Gene Cromer and this Moonlighter Willys are the things legends are made of. just like Frank Spittle, I watched this car run Shuffletown and Greer back in the Day. I'm telling you guys Mr Cromer and his Willys are Hall of Fame stuff.

22. You got that right! :) HRP

23. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

this will be an awesome build!!!!

24. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

looking good!! were you guys able to use the door hinges i sent you??

25. elgringo71

elgringo71

I told gene about the door hinges but he hasn't seen them yet. I am going to bead blast them and see what I can do with the the pitted area before I give them to Gene or Quain. There is a gasser meet at Greer, South Carolina the 17th and I planned on giving the hinges to them there. Thanks for the help with the hinges. I can't wait to see Gene get the Moonlighter on the track again.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Is there a link to the meet

27. elgringo71

elgringo71

28. edweird

edweird

found this pic from jackson dragstrip.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool stuff, Gene's car looked very clean back in the day!

30. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon