Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Geeeze Louise what were you thinkin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Boul, May 6, 2015.

1. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

It's always a new day with the old car projects. The latest is: I'm trying to locate a intermitant squeak / squeal at run spead. After checking everything I could think of I made my mind up to let it "fly apart" and then i'd fix it. Well one day after a 20 mile run it (squeal) was really persistent. Soo much so that it was doing it @ idle...Now I had it!
    Noise was coming from the front of the generator no problem bad bearing...Wrong!!!
    Turns out that someone, at some point, decided to make (couldn't tell at this point) a long nose generator from a standard 8.5" inch one. I chucked up the armature with intentions of machining the snout to accept a double row 5305 and solving, forever, front bearing failure. Well the thing had about .030 runout and was way undersize at the fit. The only way it could even be assembled was to machine the front support fit completely off and redrill the front support to relocate the long bolts! What were they thinkin???
    Regardless a good "repair" was impossible the way it was done and the result was a ruined armature and big bearing 38-39 style front support. Note: this can be done... 8.5" to 9" but it requires two armatures and a good machinist or one armature and a very good machinist. See below!

IMG_1005.jpg :

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. lowlinc

lowlinc

Thinking im having the same problem as you, but in my daily. Going to check it in the AM and rule it out