Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gear problem/any thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onelow48, Dec 5, 2003.

1. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

I got this rear in a swap. I poped it open and found that the axles and spider gears were welded together. All I am
    after the the ring/pinion. The all mighty 323. 411's gota go. I tryed a sawzall lost 4 blades. Any thought's?

Attached Files:

2. old beet

old beet

JUNK.....OLDBEET

3. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Thats what I thought. Do you think a torch would hurt the
    integrity of the gears. I have very little money in the rear, any vaery little in my pocket.

4. old beet

old beet

What kind of rear end? Where are you? What gears ya want?......OLDBEET

5. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

I'ts a gm 7.5/8 rear. It came out off a Camaro, they also came out off s-10 older ones. I trying to get some highway
    gears. Right now the rear I am running has 411's. I have a 3 speed trans and my tire is 25.8" tall.

6. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

O soory! I am in Maryland.

7. old beet

old beet

Sorry yer so far away. I bet some guys near you would like the 4.11s. Maybe trade someone......OLDBEET

8. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Thanks for looking out! Just got a call from a freind. He
    has a set he going to bring over, he's not sure what they are, but he knows the 75/8.

9. jerry

jerry

take BBFH and a chisel and split the housing off the carrier.

jerry

10. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

I was going to try that. the axles are welded and their is no way to get the ring gear out. I was going to have a freind try torching it out. I may have found a set? If that doesn't plan out I my just start going to yards and start poping off covers one @ a time.

11. jerry

jerry

after you bust the housing apart you can torch off the axle away from the gear set and slide the ring gear off the end of the torched off axle. just needs some creative desruction to get to where you need to be.

jerry

12. Torch it apart where the axle tube meets the housing, then beat the axles out?

If you have no luck, I think I have access to some airplane gears for that rearend. Drop me a note if you need to.

13. bustingear

bustingear

Welding the Spyders is poor mans posi and an old stock car trick. It makes for better handling out of those corners. Tried it myself and liked it....until the weld snaps. That happed to me and I ended up with a T-Bone in my side and getting clipped so bad it bent the front frame rails.
    bustingear Dallas

14. sawzall

sawzall

tank

what gears are you wantin?? I have a posi rear axle out of a 79 camaro thats a 3.08 ratio.. maybe the entire axle would work??

I have been hanging on to it for awhile and may not use it for some time..

shoot me a pm or call

15. Jeffie James

Jeffie James

yeah i got a thought, see what you need to do is, take that rear hold it over your head, shake it a little and if the gears dont fall out, throw it outside in the junkpile. that way we wont be tripping over it in the garage.