Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gauge question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCtattooer, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Building a Model A, and I had the thought of putting a couple of diagnostic gauges such as oil pressure, temp and vacuum along the firewall to give me a better view of whats going on while dialing in the engine. My question is this. If I connect 2 temp or oil pressure gauges to the same sender, would they be accurate, or would the resistance of the extra gauge cause both to read inaccurately?

Sorry if this had been covered before, but if it had I certainly couldnt find it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

probably would affect it, since the sender acts as part of the gauge circuitry (it's a voltage divider)

you could put a double pole switch next to the engine gauge set, so you can switch the sender connection from one gauge to the other.

Or use mechanical gauges...

SCtattooer likes this.
  3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Always liked mechanical gauges better. Had a set of electric gauges that would change readings depending on the charge of the battery and fluctuate as the regulator cycled the generator.

SCtattooer likes this.
  4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You can always build an electronic circuit that will alternate the sender unit to each gauge.

SCtattooer likes this.

5. You need dual gauge senders (e.g Stewart Warner 82503 for temp gauge)...they are popular in the marine industry where you have dual bridges.

squirrel and SCtattooer like this.