Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelman77, Dec 12, 2009.

1. wheelman77

wheelman77

I want to build a gasser and am working with a 1951 Chevy Biz Cpe. My general question is what should I be considering when I want to convert to a straight axle?

I have heard that an axle from a 1947-1954 Chevy pickup will fit well - anyone ever go this route?

Thanks for any input.

2. brocluno

brocluno

Most gassers built on the cheap in the old days were pick-up or van axles. Before you start with axle install ideas, need more info on the rest of the build?

Most small blocks are lighter that the six. Big blocks are not. So how much spring you need and how much travel you need are factors.

Will you be boxing the OEM frame? Removing the OEM crossmember? What kind of engine support will you use? Motor plate, side mounts w/o crossmember, side mounts with crossmember? Are your headers fender well or in frame? Are you keeping the fender liners, or going daylight across? Doing all new 2x4 box frame? What kind of steering?

One of the reasons to go axle is so that a high strung motor can be serviced including dropping the pan without problem. The other reasons are axle center line location (wheelbase - as in subtle mods, like move both front and rear axles forward and inch or so without getting caught in tech), weight reduction, positioning the center of the crank as high as allowable (IIRC - 24"?), to get rapid rear weight transfer, etc.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009