Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GASSER OR TAIL DRAGGER? 38 Chevy Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amadeus, Mar 14, 2013.

?

GASSER or TAIL DRAGGER

Poll closed Mar 24, 2013.
  1. GASSER

49.0%
  2. TAIL DRAGGER

51.0%
  1. You can probably figure out my vote;):D:cool:. If it was set up for gasser mode and you have the driveline it should be easy to decide. And anodder ting:eek:, a 37-8 Coupe in gasser mode does not have to have history to be cool. Although an original race car is sure an eye catcher and conversation piece.

2. amadeus

amadeus

Here is a shot of the front and rear, I think rear is an early chevy.
    Unfortunate that the ladder bars are long gone but the crossmember/ safety loop looks well made.

Attached Files:

3. amadeus

amadeus

Attached Files:

4. amadeus

amadeus

Attached Files:

5. amadeus

amadeus

Hi Eli, I'm gonna shuffle some cars around to take the pic. I should have it Done by tomrrow.:)
    Again, thank you!
    JW

6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Ya! This thing is definately an old drag car. Do you have any history on it? It would be easy to mock up and make some replacement ladder bars for the thing. The safety loop definately looks well made. Is the rear end a possi? Can you get a rear shot of the diff? It looks like a 55 chevy rear end to me from the pic.

I think that this thing deserves to be brought to its former glorry of an early drag car!
    Jay

7. amadeus

amadeus

Here's a quick shot of the rear end:) I think you might be right, 55-?
    I was looking for the "P" stamp on the third member but did not see it..

Attached Files:

8. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

9. Oh god, really? You need to ask? Gasser !!!

10. amadeus

amadeus

R.Seghi ; Sent you a PM:)

11. I personally think that they look good either way but... if it were mine I'd slam it!

12. cosmic12

cosmic12

Need I say anymore?

Attached Files:

13. amadeus

amadeus

Hello Eli !
    Will this work?

Attached Files:

14. amadeus

amadeus

Gorgeous!
    Such a beautiful car!

15. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

What you have is a rear end out of a 55-57 chevy. They used these rear ends later too. Don't discount these rear ends. These were the same rear ends that they used in 409 cars with a 4 gear as well. They are not overly strong but can handle a beating if they are built right. Now with that said I wouldn't beat it if it had a big block infront of it launching it at 4500rpm, but a healthy small block I think you would be ok for the street. Does it have a possi unit?
    Jay

16. amadeus

amadeus

hello Jay,
    I haven't checked it for a posi or spool, no matter which way this goes ; I will replace that rear the engine Im planning on running(supercharged SBC 4spd).
    I dont think that 55-57 rear will handle that much HP and I dont want to sink too much $$ into it.
    when I first got the car I tried searching for an early Olds/Pontiac Rear end but the ones I found were usually pitted/hacked and
    incomplete (missing drums,backing plates,etc).
    Seems that The cost of building one of these early rear ends is very comparable to a stout 9''. Finding a good 9.3 Posi and housing is the problem.

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I agree. My car originally had a 57 Pontiac rear end in it all its life and when it came to Canada the one brother that owned it sold the rear end to his brother and they threw a stock 55 chevy open end rear end. lololol

Long story short I ended up building up a 9 inch for the chevy. Stout and Poundable!

So what way are you leaning man?
    Jay

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Perfect! I'll get on it ASAP. Got any color ideas?

19. amadeus

amadeus

Hi Eli,

I was thinking of doing a candy green or blue as a gasser :) or you can play with the color you see fit;)
    Thank you so much!
    Best,
    JW

20. How about leave it the way it is, PATINA. Spend your money elsewhere.

21. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

So are you going gasser?
    Jay

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey JW, regarding the photoshop,
    Here's a before
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and after
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I wanted to give it some color but had problems, (probably me) but here is what it could look like with a rattle can paint job.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. amadeus

amadeus

Eli,
    that is great! Definitely gives an idea of how it will look!
    Thank you so much for your help:)
    I have a friend that has a spare set of aluminum slots,I think it will be fun to put them on and see how it will look just for s*ts and giggles! The wheels that are on it now are just to roll the thing around.
    Thank you!
    JW

24. amadeus

amadeus

Hi Jay!
    I think so,
    I also had several people asking if I will sell the car (people that want to keep it as a Gasser).
    As much as I want a low and chopped 38; Im probably just gonna buy another car to do that.
    The car just has that "soul" that some Hambers have mentioned..

25. amadeus

amadeus

Hi Robert,
    Unfortunate that the previous owner decided to "street Rod" the car at some point and added a stupid fuel door from some foreign car turd (see pic) and blend the rear fenders;therefore the Patina is only half way.
    One of my car club bro. owns a custom paint and body shop and is willing to help me out (plus, a great way to learn body work and paint) . The body isnt really bad at all,the right front fender has "crunch" area" that isnt as bad as it looks.
    JW

26. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Nicely chosen man! Like I said sometimes the car just tells you when you look at them what direction you should take them by looking at where they have come from. This thing has drag racing history of some sort and that is really cool. OahuEli did a hell of a job showing you what it could look like. Now make sure that you post your progress. PM me with your forum post when you start building it. I will for sure follow along man!
    Jay

Here is the one that my 70 year old father picked up in the fall from his childhood friend of 60 years that passed away. This mostlikely will be his last hot rod type of car that he ever owns. I wanted to make it into a gasser but I think he is getting too old now and too set in his ways to take it in that direction.
    Jay

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      412.7 KB
      Views:
  27. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Oh ya man! By the way don't use the ugly 1938 chevy taillight. Pick something that sits flush with the body line of the car. I personally can't stand 38 tail light.
    Jay

28. amadeus

amadeus

Beautiful Car! That is very nice,Im sure he will enjoy it!

29. OLLIN

OLLIN

Just saw this, Cool car man!

30. amadeus

amadeus

Thanks Ollin!:D