Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Its coming Its in a pile of parts right now. Weeded a anglia out the door yesterday. Need to get rid of another car or two and have room and time to start. My goal was running in spring. Now later summer .....I hope

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ummm......easy there Turbo.
    By "Monstrosity" I meant fucking awesome.
    And by " see the bottom of it" I meant when you crank a huge fucking wheelie with it.....
    Looking back,I can see how my post could have been misunderstood,but seriously,lighten the fuck up.
    I guess I should have just said: " Me likey!Want see more wheelie and vroom vroom!"lol!
    And did it seriously come in under the 10% rule?If it did that's fucking awesome,and I don't get why more guys didn't totally exploit that angle.....probably cause of the serious amount of work and re-engineering of the driveline,clutch linkage,etc I'm guessing..?
    It TOTALLY looks like it's gonna be worth the extra work though!
    What are you planning for wheelie bars?

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Oh........ Well now I feel a bit embarrassed. I have had ALOT of major run ins with guys on here and I totally thought you were busting my chops. I apologize.

Well, I think I will run short sprung bars. I'm shooting for 67-68 kinda deal and I believe they were running them by then. Been watching my Jackson Bros videos hehe.

4. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Oh and yes I had room to spare on the 10% rule. I have really been surprised at the amount of work it has taken to do It though.

5. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

You know?..I think I will start one later today. See how it goes. It's kinda only fair considering the amount of lurking I do.

6. Dang brother! You been keeping this all to yourself? Thanks for spread'n the love, nice job keep it up. The majority of these cars were built like this back in the day, meaning, in someones home garage. I appreciate these cars as much or more than the ones built in some pro fab/chassis shop, so take some pride in your work, and keep us updated. Ric.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

No problem brother.:)
    That's surprised the hell out of me that there was room left over.
    I agree that the amount of work involved was probably what held people back....I would probably be too lazy to tear apart a working racecar for all that work too...:)

Definitely get that build thread cranked up man!Thats some pretty hardcore shit you're building and I think it's a safe bet that you are going to have a pile of guys following your build....I know I can't wait to see that thing run!

Scott

8. Great thread guys. I have learned a lot from it already.

Alright guys, please help me out with some gasser info on this one.

What is the deal with 8 lug rear ends?

I assume they are heavy duty truck rear ends used for their strength. I have seen several pics (like below) of cars back in the day running them and would like to know when they first started to appear and when they went out-dated and were no longer used?

One of the reasons I'm asking is I just scored this Lynn Quick change pictured below. It uses the ford truck bells and has 8 lugs hubs.

Anyone help a guy out? Thanks...

Attached Files:

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm pretty sure the S&S Willys ran one of those rear ends til around '64,but I could be off on that by a year or two.

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

As the horsepower made leaps axles started breaking. Floating axles are easier to change "if" they broke. Seems like there were more of them used in the early 60s? Cool piece.

11. CGkidd

CGkidd

Sweet build Bean Dip...

12. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

you could pull the axles for flat towing--- even SWC had tow bar brackets...

13. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thank you! The home built aspect is what I'm really trying to run with. There are many things I'm doing that I know aren't "by the book" what you see being done by todays big hitters, but I feel that by following what makes sense to me and what my abilities dictate, that in the end a certain authenticity will be added. Thats what I keep telling myself anyway.

I'll start a thread tonight. Might help me stay motivated through winter when it's tough to crawl out in that cold ass garage.

14. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks Scot.I really surprised a lot of guys when I traded my T "Lil Red" for this car. It was a show quality,top of the line race car. Pro built by a friend and fast. I knew I was losing big time on the trade, but did it anyway. Thing was it just wasn't right for me anymore. After I ran at Meltdown in 2012 I had to have a gasser. I always loved them, after that I was obsessed with them. Their just a perfect fit for me. Wish I would have done this from the start. Would have saved myself soooooo much money and effort.

I'll kick off a thread tonight. Looking at about 6 to 8 months before it will be race ready. It will be a match race car so won't be happy until I can hold my own. Sub 6's in the 1/8 is my goal so I have some work ahead of me.

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I love the 8 lug axles, and I'm guessing
    6 & 8 lug Americans and Halibrands are slightly cheaper too.

I agree they seem to be gone by the mid sixties, at least in the magazines collection I have.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

16. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thank you!

17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

These went pretty cheap and with tires http://www.ebay.com/itm/HALIBRAND-MAGNESIUM-WHEELS-/171143097321?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&vxp=mtr&hash=item27d8ec6be9&nma=true&si=wYRGoleVZMnnio%252Bbq5UD5r8WmME%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 , it was local pickup only though. There's also always widened/reversed steel wheels.

18. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Now I'm going to have to wait for updates with everyone else:D
    No more sneak peaks.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

19. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL! Nahh...you're still part of the inner sanctum.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love the build threads too, but I didn't do one for my gasser, as I've seen some threads go astray, and get downright nasty comments by some users. I finally gave in to pressure from some friends and posted a little on my Falcon gasser. I was surprised when people wanted to see more, so I posted some pictures after the fact.
    Like you, I was just hesitant to put the car out there for all sorts of different people to critique, but it's actually turned out to be OK afterall.
    I'm looking forward to viewing your build thread!

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

1971BB427---i saw one of your posts ,i think it was on tilt front ends, i like the ingenuity and at the same time the practicality you show in your builds and would enjoy your build thread...

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks! I did do one afterwards, and I post things on it as I do changes or upgrades.

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks! I think it will definitely keep me motivated.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah we all love build threads, get it done !!!
    Personally i've never encountered any negative people but obviously they are out there, constructive criticism is something i've always welcomed myself.

25. 1971BB427 - Love the BBC in the Ford, thats gotta shake people up. Watching your build!
    As of last night, one of the shit starters is banned from the HAMB. Guess who.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

You just made my day.Good riddance to that clown and all the shit he tried to stir up.
    People like that are why so many of us have a hair trigger these days.

Scott

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  27. What caught my eye was a closed thread last night, just looked and wasn't able to find it. The usual crap, no contributions, negative comments.
    Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!
    I'm a little more inclined to post now. My 57 isn't 100% period correct..yet. It's a slow process but someday its only going to have vintage stuff on it. I personally think that it's far better to build your brothers up than tear them down. Langy-I agree that constructive criticism is good also. Ryan said on page 1 that shit talkers don't have a place here. And thats good enough for me

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm with ya.There's too much to be learned here to waste time chirping.
    In the short time I have been here I have learned more detailed information about engine,chassis,trans,wheel and tire setups,fabrication,design.....it's nuts.
    Fellow HAMBers are just about the most generous bunch of guys I've ever met,too.I just had an extremely hard to find Australian Falcon rhd steering box DONATED to my A/FX project recently!

Now I just need to get one of these projects running so that I can get out to the Meltdown Drags etc,and actually say hello to a bunch of you guys!

Scott

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Now that raises a great point:

Can we see some examples of how guys have mounted their front ends,and what they fabricated for hinges,travel stops,etc?

If I should be starting a separate thread for this,just let me know,but I think it fits right into the "gasser" line of discussion perfectly.:)

Scott

30. yes it does fit well into this thread