Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gasser Gasser Gasser!! The Adventures of the "Strange Bird" Blown Nailhead Falcon.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuckles Garage, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Any updates on "Strange Bird" or the tow rig?

2. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

The Strange Bird and I are featured in the new Hotrod Havoc 4 video coming out on Nov 20th!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_H_D5gSpw-Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_H_D5gSpw-Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I have been working on a hotrod that I'm delivering to the SEMA show next week, haven't had much time for my own stuff. As soon as I get back, I plan on tearing the Strange bird down for paint, and getting a 460/c6 and a 9" stuffed in the Fairlane Wagon tow rig.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I am totally buying that!

4. Muttley

Muttley

Will you still be posting updates here on the HAMB now that you are world famous or are you going to forget about us common folk?

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I'll have my people call your people......

6. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

i'm calling EPA....

7. Muttley

Muttley

I'll clear my calendar.

8. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

The Strange Bird is getting an all new Transmission/Axle setup for the upcoming Hotrod Havoc 4 premier. Coan Transbrake TH400 manual valve body, Art Carr 3500 stall fabricated torque convertor, All kinds of HD bits for the internals, 3.89's, spool, wheeeee! The switch pitch thing wasn't working so well.

Video update coming after the premier on the 20th....stay tuned

9. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

sweeeeeet

10. First, like the Nailhead, my mind has been blown. Second, I can't get over the fact that you only paid $200 for that thing to start with, I can only assume that the rest of the car that wasn't visabile in the picture was complete swiss cheese. Regardless, witha $200 two door falcon, the only logical thing to do was stick the nose in the air and cram the baddest mill in there that you could find. It's incredible. Now I just wanna drive fast all day.

11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Hahaha.....actually there were only two small rust areas. There was some small rot on the drivers rear wheelwell and in the passenger quarter window frame. The car still had all the futura trim on it, which I sold for more than $200. I also sold the Engine and trans for $150, and the radiator for $50. The car actually paid me $200.

Did I mention that I only paid $800 for the motor? It was a drag boat motor built 30+ years ago with all kinds of tasty unobtanium parts. Never fired.

I sold some of the rare marine bits off the engine and bought the Littlefield blower from a friend of mine for $700. The blower was his dad's spare from an old drag car he ran. It too was built 30+ years ago and never used. Sometimes you blessed with good stuff for a good deal.

Ricky Bobby said it best......... "I wanna go fast!"

12. Damn this car just gets more bad ass by the day!

13. Awsome. And i thought it was already pretty serious....Love it.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I give it 8 full passes before you smoke this transmission too.;)

15. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks man! I'm a fan of Shakey Puddin too!

16. Dude, you scored big time on that deal, I had a car pay me once, twice actually, paid $500 for it, totalled it, insurance gave me $1200 to keep it, i fixed it for $200 and sold it for $1000. it was an '89 honda. haha.

I love that little falcon though, I would love to do something like that down the road. So many gas cars are larger sedans, but those little ones, man they can GO.

Fine work my friend. I'll have to order a shirt sometime soon.

17. car turned out mega-bitchen...very similar to one of my earlier builds, '60 Falcon with hilborn injected 389 Poncho motor...we talked at Stoke's Ranch last spring

18. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i remember your car! i really like it! my avatar is from that show lol

19. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I remember! I would love to see pictures of it sometime.

20. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Well........Got the car ready for the Hotrod Havoc pemier, and it rained so I left it at home. Lame.

Anyways......I did get a chance to give the transmission a mini-shakedown around the shop. Transbrake seems to be working well, but the convertor I had Art Carr make for it is REALLY loose. I'm going to have to have them re-do it. I need to get used to the reverse pattern shifting, if you listen to the video you can hear me throw it in neutral....thats not good to make a habit of.

My sticker guy came by and did some vinyl on the car as well. I wanted to get a visual of the lettering before I commited to the real deal. Don't worry......there will be NO vinyl on the finished product haha.

Video:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSeiNxTUjMQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSeiNxTUjMQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

21. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

were dose's the coverter lock at ?
    mine locks at 4200 .but there is really no place out on the street's to hammer it that hard. or keep the motor up that high for that long .so it always feel's lose and slushy. on the strip it works great because your foot is thru the floor. sure this is not what's happing with your's ?

22. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i agree.

man, that car is just getting cooler and cooler. with the lettering it looks right out of the 60's, good job man.

how do those new gears feel?

23. I actually like the saying with the vinyl.

Great video!!

BloodyKnuckles

24. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Its supposed to be a 3300-3500 stall, but its locking at around 4000-4200. Brian, the gears made a huuuuuge difference, let russ know the transbrake works fine.

25. Muttley

Muttley

Hide the women & children, the Strange Bird is loose...........HAHAHA. That thing rules.

26. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

hey chuck .my car won't even shift from 1st to 2nd unless that conv is locked ..does your's act the same way ..?

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's just plain awesome. I'm curious what this thing is actually going to put up as far as numbers in 1/4 or 1/8 mile strips. It's definitely seems like the power is there but I could see that fucker getting squirrely but that's half the fun!

28. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Its manual valve body...shifts when I tell it to.

The power is definitely there, I just need traction. Everywhere I have to test it has dusty old roads. Only three short blasts so far since I've had it running. The first time was all dusty. The second time was for the Hotrod Havoc 4 shoot, and the transmission was slipping badly, and then grenaded.
    Third time, crappy dusty roads. I need to get it on a track soon. It's making me crazy.

29. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Damn!!! cant wait to see the video of it on the strip

I need to finish my buick so I can build my blower motor

30. edweird

edweird

my buddys got one just like yours that he bracket races. its called FREE BIRD.