Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gas Welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Dec 11, 2018.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Since I've had such a good response from my thread about tig welding and a defibrillator I've been searching for an alternative. Has anyone on here ever heard of or has a Meco N-Midget welding torch? I spotted it on a recommended site called Tin Man Tech. It looks like what I am looking for to continue tacking my Hot Rod chassis together. Before I spend the money I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one? Thanks. Gary at Cornhusker Rod And Custom

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Gary,
    No experience with that model but I’d suggest going with a used set of torches.
    They last forever if taken good care.
    Nowadays it’ll be plenty easy finding a good used set on Craigslist or a local auction.
    A lot of old tradesmen are giving up the ghost.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I've already got a regular sized torch set but it is to big and awkward to use in the close quarter work of tacking a chassis together. I need something with more finesse.

4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I've heard of the Meco Midget, it is not available around here but it seems to be popular among people who want a small light weight torch for sheet metal work. I'm not sure how thick metal it can handle or if heat from welding thicker metal becomes a problem for your hand at the distance from the flame (if I recall the tips aren't very long), but assuming it can handle the thickness you need and your fingers don't get BBQed it may be a good choice. If possibly, try one out before you buy.

5. squirrel

squirrel

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

1B1B25BF-F5F9-4914-A2FE-116EA8701F34.jpeg 695C8983-AA5F-4C60-9526-4FF556E62ED3.jpeg View attachment 4124738 My 50 year old Craftsman set still serves me well, but I did pick up a smaller handle along the way.
    The Harris Model 19-2 is 12” OAL with the check valves and I find it much more handy and less tiresome than that old Craftsman.

Jitterbug likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

rockable, Crazy Steve and pitman like this.
  8. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Welding thick material takes a lot of heat. You'll need a torch head that can flow enough for a big tip.
    I have a Henrob/Cobra gas torch that I enjoy using on thin stuff. I tried it once on some 1/8" thick angle iron using the biggest tip that came with the kit (#3). That tip wasn't big enough, or the torch handle couldn't flow enough to fuel it. The heat would conduct down the steel as fast as the tip could supply it. It took a long time to get a puddle formed, and the whole piece was scorching hot. You need a tip big enough to overload the steel with heat and form a puddle before the rest of the part sucks up the heat.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Dyce and Hollywood-East like this.
  9. I have the same Victor Blue one has, it's done everything I've asked of it.

10. I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one left that still knows how to gas weld(not brazing). The kids at work look at me like I’m nuts when I get out my torch tip. They get the cutting head, I keep the welding head locked up. I still use it to weld exhaust together.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I use mine to weld up a new set of headers every once in a while. It works great on exhaust work. Heck, they used to build airplane and motorcycle chassis with a torch!

Driver50x likes this.
  12. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Something must be wrong. The Henrob is supposed to be able to weld up towards ½" steel. I have one too but I have not tried welding anything very thick, I only have small tanks that can't (or shouldn't) supply enough gas, I don't have the heat shield so it would get a bit hot to hold it, and I simply haven't needed to. I have welded steel around 1/8", probably using tip number 2. Size 3 I only used for the initial regulator adjustment.

13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

While asking a similar question in another forum, I am now banned from that forum since I was told to buy a mig and do it right.
    I had my own opinions on what was right.

pitman, GuyW, Montana1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I've been known to tack exhaust tubing together with the mig, then gas weld it with the torch.... :)

15. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Check with your Dr. And see if you can one a MIG

16. I have an assortment of large and small torches that I have acquired over the years. The two small torches I use, both I like equally well for welding sheet steel up to .100 in, are a Smith aircraft torch, and a Gloor. I used these torches extensively for welding tubing on homebuilt aircraft.
    I also have a Cobra as well as a large Victor torch (which I have had since 1970), both of which are heavier, but they work equally well for welding sheet steel, using the smaller tips I purchased when I bought these torches.
    I particularly like the Cobra (Dillon MkII) cutting attachment for cutting sheet steel with a minimum of warpage. Since purchasing a plasma cutter, I don't use it as much as I used to, but the Dillon torch has done an excellent job for me over the years. Here is a link to a video on what the Cobra can do.

I am still using the original Victor regulators I bought in 1970 for all these torches. The only improvements I have made, are to install the anti blow back valves and an adapter to use the smaller diameter hoses with the small torches. This lightens the amount of load on the hands and improves the flexibility when working in tight areas.
    I will post pictures on request, if it would be helpful.
    Bob

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like my Henrob. Its mostly used for cast iron

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have Vector's and a Meco Aviator Jet
    This picture give a good comparison.
    9d667504012ccfaadf2a8f747f606db5.jpg

Jitterbug and GuyW like this.
  19. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Damn.... That's an impressive demo! Never seen one... But I sure think I'll be looking into that setup! I have a nice hypertherm 600 plasma, But Geezuzzz the consumables are about $75. A set of 5/5 a complete set....

20. I have two of them that I was lucky enough to find in auction boxes. I originally thought they were a gimmick until I started using it. For welding they recommend using 4 psi for both oxygen and acetyline, and I find that they work extremely well at this setting for most jobs that require the smaller tips.
    Bob

HunterYJ, Hollywood-East and G-son like this.
  21. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

What gauge/thickness is the chassis metal?
    What will you finish weld with?

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Man that Meco does look like the ticket, and not that much money. Great XMas idea for myself!

23. Where did u find it?

24. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I have a Meco Midget myself and I love it....so nice and light. I got mine from Tinman and bought the lightweight hoses and extended tips. I really like the extended tips for 2 reasons. I am able to hold the torch kinda like a pencil and it gives me so much control and if you are torch welding aluminum it gets you away from the heat.....recommended

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

John: The chassis materials are 3/16th flat plate and 120 wall DOM tube welded to 10 gauge boxing. After I finish the fabrication and tacking the chassis together it is finish welded by a certified tig welder that has welded my chassis for almost 30 years. He only finish welds and is not interested in the fabrication of a chassis.

26. squirrel

squirrel

might be a problem keeping things clean, if you tack with a torch....???

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got a Midget, and a Cobra, as well as a regular torch set up. The Midget's great for doing sheet metal. Especially if you have a lot of it to do. The light weight, and small size make it a pleasure. The Cobra works great, cutting is amazing, but for long weld time, it's heavy and a bit awkward. At least until you get used to it. Good for aluminum, too, as the gas exiting it doesn't have the force of a regular torch, so it doesn't blow out the puddle.

j-jock and HunterYJ like this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Gary, took this from another thread about heart and electric welding stuff. The thread title is " Anyone have or use a Henrod 2000 torch?". I think they are now called a Colbra DHC 2000!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I had one of those Henrod torches, I didn't like it. Guess I have used the conventional torch so much, that it was not comfortable for me.

30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Normally I get a tight fit on the components when I'm fabricating a chassis and I've just been sweating the parts together with very little filler rod. I don't know if the Mico or Henrob are capable of doing that?