Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas treatment for the winter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Oct 4, 2011.

1. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Here in the great north east winter storage is closing in on us. What do you guy use in you gas tank for fuel stabilizer? With all the ethanol in the gas it can cause problems. My model this spring I had to take the carb a part it was all gummy. I have a off topic motorcycle that I just payed $350.00 for cleaning and rebuilding the carbs the shop blamed it on the gas.Just wondering what others do. Thanks Joe

2. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Quite a bit of discussion if you search the forum. Majority appear to use Seafoam additive, get it at most auto parts stores. I get mine at NAPA.

3. MRTS33

MRTS33

Run it dry. Drain the gas and use it in the snowblower.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

drive it ! ......................

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used STA-BIL for over 30 years with good results. :)

6. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Add Sta-bil,fill tank completly to the top. Run your engine long enough to get it into your carb. This has worked fine for me the last 19 years ! Car is stored for 6 months. Tank still like new inside.

7. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They make a new Sta-bil for ethanol gas.

8. CruZer

CruZer

Another vote for Sta-Bil.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This is important. Lots of our customers when I was in the boating business were using Stabil and it stopped working. The new gasolines have a whole nuther set of issues that the old Stabil didn't address. I don't know if the new Stabil is any better, but if they say it is for ethanol gas that seems to me that they acknowledge the problem and have a new product to combat it.

Ethanol gas is just one problem after another.

Don

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I will catch hell for this... but Marvel Mystery Oil is a very good fuel stabilizer at about 1/4 the price. I use it in every thing I own that has a "carburetor" on it as did my father and grandfather. I have run thousands of miles in my Hot Rods, Jeep, mowers, chain saws etc with absolutely only positive issues. There are those that will call it "Snake Oil"....they are entitled to spend their money how ever they'd like.

11. LUCAS- ethanol treatment, STA-BIL for ethanol, or my favorite- SEA FOAM, oh and dont leave the tank empty, fill er up :cool:, TR

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Pretty much like the above listers: Stabil or Seafoam. But I also have always added about 4 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil with it. Run the engine for about 5 min. to get it all through the system, and your done.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

13. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Stabil Ethanol Treatment and also a product called Startron. Both seem to work pretty good.

14. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Thanks for the info guys...I used marine sta-bil this past winter but probably didn't fill the tank enuff. Had a lot of problems this past spring !!!!

15. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

I don't know about those other products, but I just started as an area distributor for BG Products over here in the UK. BG's CF5 fuel additive will stabilise fuel stored in the tank and also has a corrosion inhibitor to protect internal parts from corroding due to trapped damp and condensation etc.

Modern fuels start to go 'off' in as little as 90 days, so stuff that worked for your Dad back in the day, might not work so good with modern fuel. Over here we only sell it to Auto repair shops, I don't know if its the same for you guys.

L.P.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011