Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas Tank Sender and Vent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Mar 20, 2017.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I am converting a larger gallon tank and am wondering which direction the float arm should point for minimum gauge bounce from fuel sloshing; front to back or side to side?,..Should I just get the float in the center of the tank and call it as close as its going to be the calmest area? Gasket neoprene or cork? Vent now is a tube that goes from tank to filler neck just below vented cap..Is Cap vented equal in and out or restricted in one way? Is it best [performance wise] to use non-vented cap and separate vent?

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Seb,

On most tanks isn't the orientation of the sender determined by the hole pattern built into the tank? For example when there are 5 holes in the sender, isn't the pattern such that there is really only one way to set in the sending unit? With regards to the gasket--I believe you need cork or some other material impervious to gas.

If nothing else--I got this bumped into play again.

Hope this helps.

Pete

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I used this on my last build and am very happy, they come in different lengths and ohms to please most any build. Keeps the up and down gauge slosh to a minimum. This particular one is from the Fuel Safe website
    [​IMG]

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks for reminding me about the hole pattern..I crawled into the trunk and figured out that the float in current tank is about in the center of the tank with the sender mounted at the extreme front of tank in the old fuel fill hole at slight angle, pretty sure I put a bend in the arm to keep the sender in mid travel...New tank is taller and fill area is at more of an angle so will just put a little more bend in the arm..I am looking into the floatless sender [thanks S Dip], Tanks has them, checking if they will tolerate being mounted at angle..

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the new tank should have baffles in it

6. I had one of those aluminium tube senders, it has a little float inside with a magnet in it. Mine it would stick and give false readings, but that was 10 years ago. Hopefully made better now.

7. The vented cap in my understanding vents equally. Out as gas would expand on a hot day. In to allow air in as fuel is removed.