Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas Gauge reads 1/4 to 3/4 only

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, Mar 30, 2014.

1. I have a 12V '56 Chevy gas gauge in place of the 6V one in my '53 Chevy. I also put in a new sender and tank. I ran a separate ground wire to the sender. All worked perfectly for a year. Now, for no reason, it reads 3/4 after a fill up, and reads 1/4 when AROUND empty. My Dad's '56 had this problem, then he put in a digital dash (Dad's old, but not old school), now the robogauge reads correctly. Was this self fix a coincidence, or did some wire jostling correct a wiring problem at the gauge? What should I be looking for?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Maybe the float has a "pin hole" leak.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Somebody rammed a siphoning hose in the tank and bent the gauge arm.

4. This sender has the plastic float. If the arm was bent up, it would still go all the way to "E". If it was bent down, it would still go all the way to "F". That's assuming that I've left the car somewhere that this could even happen. Seems like the sender is sending half of the signal, or the gauge is only reading half the signal. Why would this even happen?

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Because the tank was allowed to sit dry until dried gas is all over the rheostat windings.

Try cleaning it off gently.

Does your state have ethanol in the gas?