Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas gauge help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by belair, Aug 19, 2017.

1. belair

belair

1958 Apache, new gauge, new sending unit. All works fine when the unit is out of the tank. Move the float, the gauge needle moves accordingly. Sending unit is physically grounded-touching the truck. Put it in and no joy. Needle either stays at E or goes all the way past full., or dances as I work the ground wire.
    I'm guessing it's the ground. How do I get a good ground, (using the original harness at the tank) and any other thoughts? I know this is as simple as a rock, but I must be simpler. Thanks for thelp.

2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If it "dances" when you move the ground wire I would start by checking to see if the terminal on the wire is tight and the ground location is clean.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. belair

belair

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Run a new ground wire to a clean bare metal spot that is grounded. It is probably losing ground even though it looks like it's making connection. Doesn't take much corrosion or rust to screw up a ground, sometimes you can't even see it with the naked eye. I've got a light, TS/Parking light, on my semi that fits tight in the bulb socket, but every once in a while I have to take it out and scrape the contacts. Even though it's touching, it isn't making connection.

Big Block Bruce and belair like this.

5. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

My latest gauge set, Autometer, I believe, instructed me to run a separate ground wire all the way from a lug on the sender to the terminal on the gauge.

Gary

Big Block Bruce likes this.
  6. On my '50 Buick I ran a ground from one of the sender mounting screws/bolts to a CLEAN spot on the frame.

Ben

7. belair

belair

Thanks guys. Will get on making a better ground.

8. I would think you could put a ground wire under one of the sender mounting screws and the other end to the frame. But you have to make sure the dash/ gauge is grounded also so that means a ground wire from the frame to the dash or gauge itself. OR like said before just run a ground wore from sender to gauge.