Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects garagefind/ survivor 40 coupe build. FIRED IT UP!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by joel, Sep 26, 2014.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

2. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

nice work...subscribed...

3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hose is a nuisance, Sam, but I got sick from spraying Delstar with catalyst in the early 80s. I bought this equipment right after that. I think the full face mask is a bigger nuisance than the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I have used both the self contained and the supplied air. And I think each has it's own place.when we did graphic work on large trailers and motor homes l used the battery pack, but when I clear I always used a supplied air system with a full face mask. The only down side with the supplied air was I felt all dried out, as soon as I was finished and got a drink of water I was fine. When we cleared we mixed 5 gal. of clear in a pressure pot and shot it that way, no need to fill the cup.
    Isocynates are cumulative in the body and when you get to much of them you get senticized to them and you have a really hard time breathing. At that point all you need is a whiff and you will go into gasping for air .

5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good info. I wonder how many non- professional painters know/understand this.

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have to wear a face mask when I am in the shop these days. Too much paint fumes and dust in the area. My asthma just kicks my butt.

7. greaser

greaser

I have the SAS pump and hose, and sometimes get the hoses tangled, but would rather deal with that, than having health issues from the paint. Lately, I've been using a painters hood (with fresh air supply) and a painters (cartridge) mask under the hood. The air circulating inside the hood is somewhat refreshing, and the mask is probably redundant, but I feel it adds a little more protection.

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. greaser

greaser

No problems with visibility wearing the large lens type hood. Also the hood is large enough to accommodate the mask.

10. patterg2003

patterg2003

Joel. I took interest in your comment about your sensitivity to the isocynate hardners that came with the Delstar. Delstar single stage with hardener was my paint of choice as it always turned out nice. I had a reaction and it was not bad but enough to make me wary. Urethanes use the iso hardeners. Does the air fed mask help avoid the reaction symptoms of using the paint with hardeners?

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely! You should cover your skin and wear nitrile gloves when mixing also. One reason I’m trying to use HVLP guns is less over spray in the air.

12. patterg2003

patterg2003

Joel. Thank you. Good point on avoiding paint and the skin. I wear the nitrile gloves plus the Tyvek coveralls to keep the paint and paint environment. If the pressurized breathing system helps then that would be a good way for me to go.
    Glenn

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I received the pump parts about 10:00 today and was able to put 3 coats of surfacer on.
    [​IMG]

14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looking good.

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 coats of k38 on right rear and back on for blocking.[​IMG]

The left side is ready to spray.
    [​IMG]

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Alright ! now you are getting back up to speed!

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The weather is warmer and it's easier to warm the garage enough to prime. Here are pix of the left rear blocked and ready for sealer and the right is getting the last coat of surface, final sanding, then sealer.
    When they are sealed, they get stored someplace and I finally go to work on the body.
    IMG_0840 (800x454).jpg IMG_0841 (670x800).jpg
    It's the best I can do
    IMG_0842 (800x479).jpg
    ready for the last surfacer

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It is amazing how much work even a brand new fender requires to get it "just right" for painting. We have been enjoying the warmer weather here also. It takes longer for the fan to suck the warmth out of the shop now.

19. Do you have to scuff the sealer before color then because you are waiting so long?

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I'm looking forward to this summer.

21. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I will sand with 360 or 400 wet. I thin the DP 74 like a sealer and use 2 coats; I don't sand through that way. On the body, I will apply color about 12 to 24 hours after sealer and no sanding in between.

22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finally got the rear fenders finish sanded and sealed. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Now it’s on to the body,after moving some stuff.

23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fenders ,doors and running boards are stored way. I'm removing the headers so I can prep the lower cowl. There is a lot of re-masking to do before shooting more prime on the body.
    IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0927.JPG
    I'm making some cardboard plugs for the window openings so I can clean better between stages.
    IMG_0928 (800x600).jpg

24. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made them. Post #8, on the first page of this thread, has a picture. The flange plates and tubing ( J bends, U bends ) came from Speedway. I had the design in my head since I was 18. When I started the thread I had a small digital camera and I didn't get many pix. My phone changed all that a couple of years ago.
    Here is a couple of pix when they were first installed.
    DSCF1349 (800x600).jpg DSCF1350 (800x600).jpg

RODIST likes this.
  26. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

A good part to warm up on!

28. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started the masking process by making the rest of the cardboard cutouts for the windows. Today I worked on the truck.

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I’ll catch up a little bit. I have about 4 hours masking and at least 8 sanding, but I put some DP on the drivers side cowl up to the body seam. IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    Tomorrow I’ll be able to add some filler.

RODIST likes this.
  30. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER