Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Conder, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Conder

Conder

I contribute to this magazine as much as I can. I don't own a single piece of it. They don't pay me. I've been offered free full page adds for my shop, but if you ever see an add for Conder Custom in Garage Magazine it's because I paid for it.

I have first hand knowledge of what it takes to build a multi-faceted project like this magazine and I tell ya cousin, it ain't easy. I also know Dan and his crew have been getting a lot of pressure lately to nip and tuck our magazine. (yeah, I said "our") It seems some heavy hitters are pokin' around and lookin' out of the corner of their eye at this little hot rod that just rolled into the parking lot. They're trying to CENSOR it. To smooth it over and make it a little more...y'know, "TASTEFUL". They're hittin' GARAGE where it hurts, in the wallet.

If you've ever been freaked out by a patch holder on a metalflake panhead, a hot chick with a jacked up straight axle '55 that'll run you "anytime, anywhere" or some wiry little teenager with a spray can and a candy red lowrider Stingray...If this stuff makes you nervous, it's only because you don't KNOW THEM. When you meet 'em, they ain't so "freaky". This is the job of any good magazine.

I'm posting this to openly challenge Garage Magazine to stick to the original plan. I can open any automotive publication anywhere and get "this guy built this car with this stuff and here's how". I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I need a hell of a lot more than that, but if I am that's GREAT! That's why I'm part of this culture. Garage started kind of fluffy, but it's headed to (but not there yet) that etheral dreamworld of no rules or limitations. A place where the salt flats and compton and flatblack and metalflake ENHANCE your world, NOT PIGEON HOLE IT. So fellas, (to the music of "it's a grand ol' flag") can ya do it? Can you hold up inspite of chicken!@#$ advertisers waffling and publishers telling you what to print and doe eyed hobbiests complaining? I can tell you this. It's hard, but it's worth it.

Git after it boys and girls, I triple dog DARE ya. - Sincerely, the C.C.A.S.C (Concerned Citizens Against Stagnation and Cornism)

p.s. Spanky Spangler is my new hero.

2. brewsir

brewsir

Hell ya..I coughta glimpse of the new issue at the swap meet Sunday and I gotta tell ya ...it ain't what any other rag is....I like the manly influences,pinups,coooolness,to hell with the mainstream...don't be the guy in the commercial getting crunched by the bigassed beer can. To hell with PC crap....keep it up and I'll even subscribe (my only sub if I do)

3. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

i been pickin up that mag at the local hastings book store and love it ... sent in my subscription today.... only magazine i have ever subscribed to.

4. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

GARAGE is the ONLY publication that has even attempted to give us any support,promotion of our work, and behind the scenes help on different levels....
    That INCLUDES any airbrush, ART, "scene", illustration, sculpture, "kulture", etc etc mags....any of the so-called "Roth" art books, lowbrow books, pinstriping books, ......NOTHING......

(Susan/Ashley-THANKS for your help also a few years ago...)

So if it means scraping together a few bucks we don't readily have for an ad, Stoner & Raquel have our sincere efforts.

It may not be the answer to their total dilemma, but our hand will be extended to them.

Johnny Ace & Kali

5. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

FUCK YEAH, CONDER!!!!
    I contribute to garage aswell.. Its not a "cookie cutter" hot rod mag, its real.... and I feel good about it, kinda warm and fuzzy, in a Rico sorta way!..

Don't back down Stoner...

6. caddyman65

caddyman65

I love the mag just as it is..my wife loves it too... DONT CHANGE A GODDAMNED THING!:mad:

7. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

I am currently a subscriber to Garage. I only did because of its "cool factor". If they change it, I will let the sub run dry, and watch the magazine fall like American Rodder did after they lost the bikinis. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Subscriber since day one. RULERS.

9. Brad S.

Brad S.

Anyone know where I can find this in the Norte Houston area?

10. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

check the website www.garagemagazine.com or tower records, barnes and noble.. oh, but your gonna have to wait a week or two cause us subcribers get it first.. so sign up..

11. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I appreciate the emotion, but telling them to throw the finger at things beyond their control to make the magzine happen is like telling you to swear off all income just to focus on building the baddest cars possible or swearing celebacy to run Playboy magazine so you can be at the top of your concentration. Business and creative journalistic freedom DO NOT scratch each others back. Just curious, but if you are so well connected why did you make this challenge on an open forum? I would think you could bring your direct concerns right to them rather than ambiguously challenging their direction and bowing to "the man". I'd be interested as to what magazines are pissing on Garage's Wheaties because I have a hard time getting anyone to even acknowledge that the "lifestyle" magazines exist on my end. I like them all (yes, all) for one reason or another. Garage is at the top with Hop Up and DICE. Saying it's headed in the direction of where American Rodder started to where it crashed is a huge leap. When Garage starts using crack whore biker sluts in wigs standing (or photo shopped) next to the shittiest cars they could find (like American Rodder eventually did) I'll have to concede you called it.

12. Conder

Conder

You're looking too fast. Read my post again. I never said any other magazines were "pissing" on anything. I never said anything of what you're saying. How could you say that? What are you saying, that I said something you said that I really didn't?

I publicly challenge you to make sense.

13. Spoon

Spoon

Subscriber here too. Love it!
    That article on Mo Pittle at Ardovino's Desert Crossing was great. I sat there after I red it and just had one of those moments... "Why didn't I think of that?" Resturant, bar, roadside Inn. Briliant. I've gotta go there some day. The pictures are great too. Garage is an awsome dreamers book packed full of great ideas and insperations. Perfect format. I enjoy reading through the adds for the Mom and Pop shops too. No Good Guys shit to put up with. I hope they never change.

14. b32roadster

b32roadster
    from Carlow

I Love it , it's 1 of the KOOLest mag's keep up the good work guy..

15. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

16. ALLISON

ALLISON

Hey,
    as another contributor to the mag since the begining, or second issue I guess, I thought I would add my Two cents. I think the mag has changed into a pretty good one from what it was in those first few. I remember thinking when I got the very first issue and was being asked if I wanted to get involved that it kind of sucked and doubted it would make two more issues. It was to much "lifestyle" and way to much fluff for my taste but now I think it has a pretty good balance and always "looks" great.
    I dont consider it "our" mag like alot of the other guys that have been involved, its Dans, they pay the bills and its thier necks on the line if there are problems as far as I know. I know there have been problems over the last year or so and people in the loop have changed, those guys all had other gigs of thier own to do. Like alot of other contributors, I put my time into each issue but but with Dan and Raquel, I think it takes ALL of thier time.
    I would be against changing much it also but if it HAS to change to survive, well you gotta do what you gotta do. I have noticed that some of the other mags, not nameing names, have changed to look a little more like Garage and seem to put Garage down as much as possible. I think the real problem is in distribution, does anyone else find it impossable to get anywhere, including places that are carrying it? Thats a problem that needs to be fixed, when it takes so long to get an issue I think people out of the loop think it is gone like with CK Deluxe. I would hate to see that happen to Garage.
    Hey, is Dan on here somewhere? When is the wedding? I like those little meatballs!
    Dan, thanks for involveing me, I think the mag is great the way it is and will continue to be involved and support it even if it has to change to survive......

17. I too have been a sub since issue #2. Like all mags, some issues stirred me, some didn't. I loved the moonshine stuff, but not into the artsy stuff. No biggie, cuz they are and it's their mag, so even if I don't dig it, I read it anyway. Guess what, I LEARNED something. That's a rarity!:D

I like it, because it covers a gamut, and it brings to light stuff I normally wouldn't read about.

PS, I still would like to build the 4B someday...

Jay

18. Conder

Conder

My whole life's a "rally cry" man, you should see me when I take out the trash! For the record, that quoted reference had NOTHING to do with other magazines. Attempted censorship and advertiser queeziness is actually happening to these folks from organizations OTHER than the rest of the automotive press. If you think that's okay, (which I'm sure you don't Jim) then don't read Garage. I hear land in North Korea is cheap! But the roads suck.

And for heaven's sake, my rant was NOT about the right to have a picture of a cute chick standing next to a car.

19. Conder

Conder

Good point. It truly IS a mission on Dan and Raquels part. BUT, I think you should change for a GOOD reason, fitting in is not "surviving". Why start a magazine with this approach just to wind up like everyone else?

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I'd hate for it to change, but you gotta admit it's tough to have a car magazine you gotta hide with your collection "Big 'Uns". ;)
    And as far as advertisors go you have to be on their end when the nut jobs call and harass them for advertising in a "smut rag". I say that because I got the letters when I was at Goodguys that you would not believe after they ran an ad with a girl in a ONE PIECE bathing suit next to an old car. They said they would NO LONGER pass such SMUT on to thier adult children.
    I can see how that stuff would affect Garage trying to sell and ad and ultimately threaten their future

21. Garage is my #1 favorite. The most original and damn coolest.

It doesn't surprise me that censorship in any form whether subtle or blatant is creeping into the scene they focus on. The pencilnecks that voted and are pandered to by our current Presidentcy can be blamed for some of it.

J :mad: el

22. i think its a great mag. i just thumbed through a couple of issues and didnt see any smut. lookit all the mags that fill the news stands now that have taken after maxim and such. compare those contents to garage...almost makes garage seem like boys life. garage's problem is it isnt main stream and the rest of the worlds problem is they wanna be our keepers. i'll never understand that mentality. if im not hurting you mind your own goddamn business. i'll keep buying it till it starts to suck. (err..if :D)

23. ~E~

~E~

Hey- where do I send my dues to join this C.C.A.S.C. ? I'm against cornism too. I also enjoy Garage. Nothing wrong with a challenge.

24. Spike!

Spike!

If I may ask...What happened to David Perry? Is he no longer a part of Garage? I happen to like Garage. I think by not contributing myself I've helped make it great. Ha Ha Ha...

Spike

25. There is obvious pride and attention to detail put into the layout of GARAGE. A little light on content, but the current issue is a vast improvement and definitely headed in the right direction. It's my favorite magazine, other than TRJ for sure.

The crap "old school" magazines should take notes from these upstarts.

26. ALLISON

ALLISON

From what I hear, Perry wanted to be less involved and to get paid. You can't blame a guy for that but i think that is why you don't see him in the picture anymore. I do have one question though, who is trying to sensor Garage? I think I missed what ever the original Hubb-bubb was on this. Some one fill me in if there actually has been an attempt to sensor or change the magazine and by who. As for the girls in the mag I agree with some of the other posts that there are much smuttier main stream mags out there than Garage whos sole purpose IS softcore smutt. Girls and cars go together like cookies and beer, I mean milk.

27. cole

cole

new issue is a classic ass kicker, Jason Jesse can rest in peace now.

great Job !

28. I happen to enjoy garage.
    I have all issues up to #7, thus far. I must check with 55olds88 from whom I buy my "US culture" mags from, here in lil' ol' New Zealand, what is the latest available here.
    I also have a few Goodguys magazines which I enjoy reading. I enjoy a good read as well as viewing the eclectic collections of cars, their owners and also the "sweetie" which every now and then is thrown into the equation.
    Cars with attitude, and owners with attitude, did I mention chicks with attitude?
    Rodding takes all sorts and there are magazines that cater for all tastes.
    Having an ever increasing pile of magazines that cover 6 decades gives me the opportunity to flick thru them from time to time and view various styles.
    I like what I see in garage and long may it continue. I enjoy a magazine that catches you off guard and makes you think at the same time!
    I enjoy the raw beauty of garage and the other similar publications, we know what they are, as well as the profiles of various people that are part of the culture.
    Based upon what I have seen so far, I want to see more off the cuff photography, dynamic shotz of cool rides and also learn about others who share the passion and drive for what this is all about.
    No frills, tell it how it is and if there are those who don't like it, plain and simple, don't buy it!
    5c worth from a reader in the Southern Hemisphere.
    Cheers,
    Cruisin' :cool:

29. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

To Garage...if you are reading...
    I have always been happy w/ Garage. The photography is what keeps me going. It's excellent... I am not as interested in the "way of life" type shit, kinda getting redundant. What is the "regulation cuff size nowadays, and bangs on girls have to be how long and what color, and which parasol is correct for this show...? Anyway, I am a subscriber and love it. Have never been dissapointed with a single issue. Fashion is a big part of today, and doesn't make people something they're not. I just looked through the new one I got in the mail today, and I must say, it is the best so far. Great mag, and don't change anything (except for the "cuffs + pomps")... but that's just me, and don't let corp. B.S. dissuade you. Keep on rockin'

Erron

(ps, hate mail can be pm'd to me) Get a haircut and some pants that fit, (unless you're still growing?)
    Yours truly,
    Erron

30. plus12

plus12
    from Nor Cal

Did Jason Jessee die, or are you referring to something I'm clueless about. I haven't bought an issue of garage in three years, I think I have 1 and 2 so I can't say shit about how they are now.