Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage Security...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, May 17, 2009.

1. my shop is right beside my house, and within in my fence and the yard is habitated
    by 12 medium /large mutts that love me and my family and rabidly HATE everything else that moves and breaths. .. by the time i get woke up the baster offender will be dead or getting there in a hurry and I wont have to feed the dogs that day.
    coures there is my 10guage ithica road blocker scatter gun that i have loaded with
    flechette and buckshot rounds.

2. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

thats awesome!!!!

3. psyco50

psyco50
    from Pomona,ca

4. Sean

Sean

[​IMG]

My security guard, Zeus. 155 pound Mastiff. Warning, he eats and poops alot though...

5. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Shoot them bury them 12 foot deep the lazy cops will only dig 6!!

6. sololobo

sololobo

A common theme in garage thefts is usually, lack of basic security, and thinking daylight guards things, or inviting strangers into your stash area, some basic common sense stuff can rule out a lot of thefts. I liked your snake sign idea Hellraiser!! Tweakers are one of the main problems and they love rural areas, both to manufacture their poison and to steal from less suspecting folks. Can't leave the keys in the switch anymore kids!! ~Sololobo~

7. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Nothing like a flock a wiener dogs to put fear into people with their razor sharp teeth.;)

We had an attack wiener dog at the shop for years, seemed to work.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

8. Kerry67

Kerry67

IF your ever decide to evict your Dobie, he can come live with me.

9. GTS225

GTS225

For those of you building or upgrading a detached garage/shop; When you lay in the pipe for your electrical run, lay it in an extra size larger. Pull in a run of multi-conductor cable at the same time, and you can then use it to wire up an alarm panel in the house. The stuff in the shop is just switches and sensors anyway, unless you're adding some horns and lights, but those are electrical loads powered in the shop.
    Most of us here know how to wire up relay circuits, and it wouldn't be hard to use an old numerical pad to act as an entry key or arming setup.
    I'll have to do some searching, but I seem to recall something about ultra-low frequencies being disabling to the human body. If I recall correctly, they caused disorientation, nausea, involuntary bowel movements, and unconciousness in extreme cases.

Roger

10. 59 brook

59 brook

drill a hole in the door track and put a good padlock deadbolt on all doors small windows up high with shelves in front of them so light comes in but no one can fit,big dog who barks and lights

11. Sean

Sean

What you are describing is the theory of the "Brown Sound" or "Brown Note". It has never been reproducible. Army's the world over have spent large amounts of money on R&D trying to perfect it as a weapon with little success. The effect they produced most was shortness of breath and nauseam instead of test subjects pooping their pants.

Also note that you would need to build another garage just to house the speaker array and amplifiers to cause minimal irritation to the intruder.

It would be nice though.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Shoot them bury them 12 foot deep the lazy cops will only dig 6!! " :)

The range of social, psychological, and technical knowlege on here continues to impress me!! This has the ring of truth to it, and is potentially seriously useful. It fits in with archaeolgy...archaeologists have been FREQUENTLY known to stop digging when they hit the earliest known cultural stratum, missing out on the unexpected...so, when you have your new friend's roomette backfilled to 6', tamp it down and scatter a few arrowheads!

13. Just a couple notes to add a a measure of rational thought.
    A friend of mine (call him Paul, I did) moved to NC more than a few years ago. His property was next door to a drug dealer's, and he called the cops a LOT on what they were doing. Finally, fed up with being busted, one of the local ne'r do wells proceeded to attempt a murder upon his person by first breaking through his door. He called the police, informed them of what was happening at that moment and added that he would shoot the perp as soon as he finished breaking the door. He did and he did. So, we have what you would call a perfect alibi. And so it was. He was not arrested for murder (though that could always happen to you), but, here's what happened next:
    He was continually threatened by the perp's family and friends, so much so that the police recommended he move, as they could not/would not provided security 24/7. So, Paul moved three states away.

What didn't happen, but what could happen, after you kill that burglar:
    You are arrested for murder. This means a VERY large bond ($100,000+), and a lawyer to assist ($50,000 to START, {McNamee and Mahoney, W. Dundee, IL}).
    ALL your firearms WILL be confiscated (this will happen in any weapons related arrest).
    If you are acquitted, you are still out all that money, though the state (IL, in this case) will return all but 10% ($10,000 for the math-challenged).
    The above will take many months, years if the victim had family with money to defend/prosecute.
    Let us all remember, too, that while you may have been just asleep, and possibly groggy, the perp you are going to kill is fully awake, possibly armed, skittish, and not worried in the least where the bullet will go. Kids are killed every day in Chicago by stray bullets penetrating buildings. When you "shoot to kill", where is that bullet going to end up?? In your wife's brain?? John Connally was maimed by a bullet that had already went through JFK's body.
    So, all that is worth it, you say, to "protect" your family (I'm not even going to start with the 'how are you protecting your family, if you're in jail?' bit).
    Now comes the fun part - you are sued by the surviving family members for the death of their family member, This type of suit does not require 100% of the jury to agree, typically just a majority, and they win. Plus, win or lose, you get to pay $300 an hour for a lawyer to defend you.

And if you hide the body, but get found out - bye, see you never.

Around here, Drew Peterson has been hounded by the cops for years, no body and only a suspicion, but never a day of rest for him.

I know I won't convince anyone who is that rabid about his guns and the 'right' to kill anyone on his property, I just hope I get some to think, before they lose it all, "it" being the freedom to walk the earth.

I'm not against security, but I am against security without rational thought.

Cosmo

14. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

something to think about but,

when it comes to safegaurding the ones I love..... Id risk it all.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

12-15 bucks each. Locate them high so critters don't sound the alarm.
    Store the receiver either in your bedroom (pack a gun)or in the shop so the thieves can hear it (no gun needed).

Use a motion detector. They also have pocket size receivers.
    They are cheap too.
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281100

http://www.nextag.com/motion-detector-alarm/search-html
    http://www.nextag.com/motion-sensor-alarm/search-html
    http://nservices.com/motion.htm
    http://www.tbotech.com/infrared-motion-sensor.htm

I also bought a set at harbor freight that work great.

16. jdrew

jdrew

Cosmo, excellent post!

Anaslime, we are not talking about protecting loved ones, but tools...remember? Cosmo was speaking to those who think guns and ammo will protect their tools and teach the thief a lesson. Shooting, and possibly killing, a thief over stolen goods will likely cause you AND your family more harm than good.

A lot of good, and realistic suggestions here in this thread...some of which I will be following in the very near future. No problems to date, but I am sure it will happen one day.

17. rebstew187

rebstew187

6 foot locked fence, motion lights, my pup a pure bred 130 pound Great Pyrenees, 12 gauge shotgun and the alarm system helps me out. I just had the alarm put in and even when it's off it will let you know if someone walks through the garage by a voice saying (garage) through the key pad speaker in the house. Nice setup. I don't have a car worth stealing but my tools and collectable that I have would kill me to loose..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  18. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I know a guy who owns a salvage yard. Shit is always disappearing from the cars parked in the yard. One of his dogs bit a guy that broke into the place one night to steal parts. The burglar sued him and won! He had to pay his medical bills from the dog bite. Property owners have no rights.

19. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Re-read his post he related a story of someone kicking in his door in to do occupant harm. But your right good advice and scenarios to consider given all the off the wall BS many other posted up. The thread was garage security, not home invasion.

20. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

2 motion lights front and back, 2 super hearing angry muts if there woken up...

Attached Files:

21. lowburban

lowburban

One f the nice things about TEXAS, it's a Right to Property state. I live in the county, lots of Sheriff, city police, and even and buddy on the FBI Terrorism Task force. All say the same thing. If they are on my property doing damage or stealing my stuff or threatening my stuff or my family I have the right to use deadly force. It has happened several times recently in the state and they all were ruled within their rights and no charges filed and only one arrest made that i know and only because he killed the two guys robbing his neighbors house. He was let go as well when the 911 tape was played they clearly had him warning the guys that if they approached him he would kill them. They by the way were illegals that had already been deported for violent felonies and returned for more action. Don't know how it is in the rest of the country but in TX we can and will protect our S**t. Just a few weeks ago 4 teenagers kicked in a students door at 4 in the morning to steal his stuff and 3 met their maker by way of his 40. No charges filed, no arrest.

22. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

Guns, ADT, and a dog

23. rebstew187

rebstew187

That is not how it is in most places but it should be.

24. Fenders

Fenders

So if you are smart:

"All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down."

25. Ya know, you're right. And given that, there may not be the "castle" protection, seeing as it's not your residence that is being broken into, it's just a shed (law speaking).

But, hey, who are we kidding?? There is probably no one on this board, all 100,000 strong, who has ever killed someone for breaking into their shed, it's all talk.

Cosmo

26. von zipper

von zipper

Took this off of the garage forum, love the big chain and 'Tiny's' dog bowl!

Attached Files:

27. inkmunky

inkmunky

I'm with cosmo i've been on the wrong side of the law and studied enough of it before and i know how easy it is to get screwed. That being said all state/local laws vary so what you are legally able to do to protect your property (read: inanimate objects) is different accordingly and at least where i live you as the property owner, even occupier for renters, have little to no rights when it comes to this kind of stuff. Even catching someone in the act and detaining them may warrant a "kidnapping" charge in the eyes of the court.

That being said if you live in a state where you can shoot to kill if someone is endangering your property and/or family knock yourselves out. I've never been a fan of guns too much bullshit that goes with em.

Dogs are good to a point. I know a lot of breeders/trainers for large breeds, pits, americans, johnsons, rottys, etc and there's always ways around em. Like others have said some piece of trash will do what he needs too to get to what he wants including poisoning, shooting, or in another way killing your dog. And i dunno about you but i'd feel like shit if someone killed my best friend.

Me personally i love my car/tools/scraps/crap/trash but it's not worth my life or my loved ones to risk saving it. I'd rather be around for many more years and save up to get that stuff replaced if need be. Remember you can have all the guns you want but if that theif is packing too and he, or she, is a quicker draw than you you're still screwed!

28. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

we had a rash of kids breaking into cars and garages around my place but me and the cop across the street werent touched. but all of our neighbors were. he has a patrol car and i have a hearse.

29. inkmunky

inkmunky

if you must however cause some carnage try this. If you have a fence surrounding your garage, set up a "dead mans land". It's a system used in prisons, basically 3-5 separate coiled layers of razor wire down the entire perimeter at ground level one in front of the other. Impossible to cross over even if they cut through the fence or hop it but expensive as hell. Pair that with IR motion sensors going through one of the coils that alerts an alarm co. and your set!

Another option for garage doors is to cut/drill out a large 6-8" dia. hole down about a foot to a foot and a half into the concrete. Bolt in a d-ring loop and fill a length of pipe with concrete and drop it in the hole and chain and padlock it down. If someone is stupid enough to try and plow it over they'll undoubtedly destroy their car and you're left with some evidence to the perps.

30. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

I like Texas law. I remember when we were voting for conceal-carry and the liberal dumb shits on tv and elsewhere predicted drunken bloodly gunfights in the streets because of these stupid-ass redneck wanting to carry guns around like it was 1850........Violent crime rate went down with the passage of these laws.

dumb-fucks

I just thought of something else......I, at one time, got these soldier of fortune type supply catalogs that, amongst other things, had US surplus camo trip wire and also a fixture that held a 12 ga. shot shell (Blanks?) this thing you would secure to a fence, building etc and hook it up with the trip wire.......sure make you shit yer pants if you were somewhere you should'nt be.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009