Register now to get rid of these ads!

garage sale score!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWBLAZERO1, Feb 27, 2013.

1. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

so, i was at a garage sale a few weeks ago, and found some pretty cool parts for my studebaker.

first up is the scoop. when i first saw it i thought it might be a cal custom, but i wasn't sure. i knew i was buying it! i ask the gentleman and he said he would like to get a dollar for it. i couldn't get that dollar out fast enough!it is about 2 inches tall, and takes a 10" air filter element. anybody have any info on it? when was it made? who made it? what would the original base look like?

secondly is the erson sbc timing chain cover. i found it at a local swap meet in the ghetto for 3 bucks. it's got a broken ear around the oil pan seal. i think i can weld it up and grind it back into the right shape. anybody know if this this is for a gear drive or stock timing chain?

thanks for reading, and for your help!

Attached Files:

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Looks like a Buick air cleaner housing

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The aircleaner housing is Cal Custom or one of those chrome trinket outfit's out of the 70's think. Here is a mate to it on Ebay 170892269864 You can't put much into that guy's asking price though as almost every thing he has for sale is pretty well overpriced in hope someone comes along that can't live without it.

Posting the name cast into the timing cover might help id it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. There was a thread on here last year about a scoop like that. Should have a chrome plated sheet metal base and a round finned nut to match the top. Used a lot on boats in the 70s-80s
    Yes, Cal Customs

*Mr48 down the road types faster then I.

5. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

ah, cool. thanks guys. ill dig deeper into the scoop here on the hamb. since i now know for sure that it is an old cal custom.
    the cast timing cover is an erson. i don't know if i suck with google lately or not, but i can't seem to find one like this, or any related info,

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Great find for a yard sale. Last weekend I got a Bosch Scintilla 1530 nibbler, new $429.00
    It was marked "As Is $4" Works fine

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I bought a scoop like that from a HAMBer last year. It's a Cal Custom, probably from the 70's. Mine came with the finned piece that goes in the middle. That piece is for the threaded stub that goes into the carb. I didn't get a base, but the 10" base of a Edelbrock aircleaner is a perfect fit. You'll need that finned middle piece to make it complete.

I painted the space between the fins red to match my valve covers. I run that aircleaner every now and then. Gives my engine a whole new look.

I paid over 100 times what you did, so you did good.

8. If the front cover is for a gear drive it will have a mount for a idler gear on a 3 gear system. If not it can be used with a 4 gear system or a stock timing chain set up.
    SPEEDY

9. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

thanks. i knew i wasn't gonna lose money on it since i am gonna use it. but i didn't know if was worth much. there is one scratch /gouge on it that i may not be able to polish out. if not, i will re-paint it black, and brush the fins back out satin. i planned to do the same for my finned m/t valve covers any way, so i might as well. should go well with the all black-detailed motor.

ah, sweet. it doesn't have any mounts for idler gears, so i will probably stick with a stock setup. thanks!

10. there's not a part # on that scoop....maybe starts with C9Z...? or D0Z...?.....thinkin' maybe a shaker.....off a Mustang....

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's definately NOT a Mustang shaker scoop.:D

12. GREASER815

GREASER815

Why is it all the garage sales I pull into have a bunch of old knick-knacks and stained baby clothes?

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Before I go garage sale diving, I find out what neighborhood they are in. The good hoods have better stuff and the ocassional car guy who recently passed.

14. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

The timing cover looks to be an Erson, and just for a regular timing chain.

15. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

true. i just go when i get dragged to one. this was the only car part AND only vintage thing there. all crap like clothes, toys, and house stuff there. go figure!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

DEFINATELY not...

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Garage sale at the home of a VERY attractive woman advertised some car parts.
    Went there with ex wife...Woman's ex boyfriend had left lots of stuff behind, got an M21 Muncie with Hurst linkage, $25; Schieffer aluminum flywheel and McLeod clutch, $10.

But the biggie was the two heavy cardboard boxes full of assorted Control Line model airplane engines! Everything from .020 to .74! The 3 Super Tigre .35s I still use...2 were N.I.B.! She wanted $20, I gave her $40. Fox .74 was also N.I.B.
    Best garage sale since the one I got a '37 Ford tube axle for $10. (cash) LOL

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Had a good morning hitting the sales.

Attached Files: