Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ganahl's Roadster at the GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Feb 2, 2010.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My experience was he did not want to have a conversation as well. I would not stop and make a comment again or ask a question again.:(

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I think you guys are mistaking his sense of humor and that fact that he is an extremely busy guy for something else. He happens to be a good friend of mine and we should put personal views aside from the fact that he owns some historically significant cars.

3. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Saw it ...and yes it was kinda of the hidden path....a jewel in the rough!

4. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Because there a lot of people who enjoy music - especially when its live. And the fact that one can listen to great music while viewing cars at the same time make it a pleasant experience !

5. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

As a writer,they're readers too.I'd bet he drops in here and lurks occasionally?

Met Ganahl at York N$RA and then at Oklahoma City years ago.
    He couldn't have been any nicer or more professional?
    His nice wife was at the Rod and Custom booth at Indy and I asked for the clear Solo plastic cup with the R n C logo on it(it was Ganahl's) for a gag gift to a friend.
    She inquired as to the joke and laughed when I told her it'd be the "Holy Chalice of Hot Rodding" for Charlie(my friend).
    She went back behind the display,had Pat sign it then found a box for me to transfer the cup in.
    Very nice people and excellent representatives of our lifestyle and hobby!

I think that as we feed off of the energy and enthusiasm of our heroes,they look at us as some sort of parasitic creature sometimes?
    They might be tired,disgusted with something,stressed or mebbe having a bad day and share it with us when we enter their world? Funny how humans react...

That is a tasty roadster he has there by the way?

6. Thats due to him being an ass ! I talked to him at Sacramento last year and all he would talk about was his new book, I have a little speach issue and he corrected me four time on a cars name! I have known Blackie for years and John D as long and never have I heard this men talk to people like Pat does I respect his rightings BUT he has a real PR problem unless your a name builder.

7. Eryk

Eryk

I've never met Pat. He has some great cars. He put my Olds in his last book. That was cool.

9. Although LQD's (Logan Davis') Roadster was a great choice for this year's "TJJ Best Roadster" award, I'll have to admit that if it had been 1 of the 10 contenders, I would have voted for Ganahl's Roadster.

55chrysler ... "arrogant butt head" :confused: ... that's not the Pat Ganahl I know ... Pat's a bit of an introvert (soft spoken & shy) ... so perhaps you mistook that as "arrogance" or rudeness ?

Denise ... I've never met you in person ... but I gather from your online personality that you're not exactly "the shy type" :) ... Some folks don't react well to a "complete stranger" blurting out a comment about them or their car ... I'd bet if you had introduced yourself first, Pat would have reacted differently to your "baby in the corner" comment ... Maybe bribing Pat with some of your famous cookies would have gotten him to to be more receptive to a conversation :rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is Bud's original av8 on our trip to Detroit 1972, Medley riding shotgun!--------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

11. 49toad

49toad

Pats a great guy. He helped me so much when I started freelanceing. Rod & Custom journalism wouldn't be the same without him. His knowlage of Rods and Customs is unsurpassed. Can't wait to see his roadster in person.

12. Binlurkin

Binlurkin
    from HBG, PA

I missed it as well,didn't make it up to that corner. I did see Pat walking around Friday night. But I didnt even think of his roadster til I was on the plane home. Wish I would have seen it,it would have made my top 5 pick of the show.

13. plymouth1952 ... really? ... an "ass" ? ... why all the hate?

You stated that you "have a little speach issue" ... and it's obvious that you also have a little issue with spelling/grammar (it's "speech" ... not "speach" ... and "writings" ... not "rightings") ... How about I call you a "dumb MFer" on a public Internet forum because my one interaction with you left me with the impression you were an illiterate fool with a speech impediment ? :rolleyes:

BTW, Pat (pgan) does lurk here.

I predict this thread will be closed or deleted soon.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great nostalgic type roadster!!!-----I agree with those of you about the LOUD BAND!!!----I was not there BUT, I can speak from "old times" that long time ago there was just the silence of gazing over the multitude of cars at a car event was always the neat thing. Sure, once in a while the P.A.system would make an announcement, but thats all-----Everybody respected the "Quiet time".

No worry----I'm sure Pat will have his beautiful 32 hiboy on display at LAR clubs Fathers Day Roadster show in Pomona June 20th, right along with 800 other open cars for the public to admire----------WITHOUT the loud bands!!!!-----Don

15. I vote this as my pick for the "Jalopy Journals Best of show"!

Where do I vote????

16. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I would have loved to seen the car finished... I saw it at a Duece reunion in 92 when it was I'm guessing in an "as found" condition with some minor cleanup... I thought the chrome OEM wheels really set the car apart and I'm somewhat disapointed they didn't remain on the car... it was a nice car then and even nicer now... and I'm envious of the P-Wood chassis makeover...

In reguards to my converations with him... always polite and a wealth of information that he didn't seem to mind sharing after he determined where you were coming from... and I'm just an average guy trying to get the historic stuff right...

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

He tried to make it to the last Roadster Show in it, but his generator gave out on his way there! Keeping something 100% traditional can sometimes be a bit of a challenge! :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  18. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I will second that vote. Car is gorgeous!

19. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I never met Pat Ganahl and probably never will but I totally understand why he wants to place his beautiful Roadster in some corner.He sounds like a cool guy to me.It's okay to be an ass if you have a Deuce that nice.

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I also missed Pat's roadster. I' didn't look past the stripers in front of the stage.
    That should have been the HAMB pick- period.
    Car looks great in pics & in person. I saw it at our club picnic last year (he's a member).

I'm surprised that a few members had a bad experience w/ Pat. He must have been pre-occupied or something.

21. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I like Pat's writings and have several of his books in my hotrod library. He's one of my favorite magazine types. But I'd say if you popped your well known and infectious smile, and got a negative reaction, someone must have really pissed in his oatmeal that morning. Ok Denise, lets see, you've had about a million great reactions and one flat one. Pretty good average.

22. Its an assume car no doubt the motor is right on every level and the inside is to die for well built car. as was his chevy more door.

23. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Wow, this is generating more interest than it probably deserves.

Thankyou very much to all of you who have said such nice things about my roadster. I do wish more people at the show had seen it. I did not want to be put in that corner, by any means, and I have to admit I wasn't happy about it. But when I asked John Buck if there was another option, he said he thought it was a "place of honor," along with Little Dick Jackson's T-bucket on the other side of the stage. So I said fine. The car wasn't entered in competition, anyway. But I do wish it was where more people would have seen it. That's the main reason for putting a car in a show.

Denise, I remember your making a comment about a baby in a corner. I can't remember what I replied, but I was agreeing with you. I sincerely apologize if you took it the wrong way. The real problem was trying to get two cars to the show and get them both set up in time. I was very happy with the whole race car room and my Iacono dragster being asked to be part of it. But once I got that car in place, I needed to clean and wax my roadster (I kind of figure that's what shows are for--time to do it), but I was quickly running out of time. So I was a bit stressed.

This was only the third time I've ever had a car in an indoor car show. For me, I figure it's an honor to finally get a car done, and good enough to put in a show. I've always wanted to have a car in the Oakland Roadster Show. So this was it. From now on it will be on the street. I'll have it at the Father's Day meet, but I'll be out in the hot rod parking lot. And I'll be smiling!

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Pat Ganahl

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Only met Pat once and he couldn't have been more gracious. He had a table with back issues of Rodder's Journal and the coveted first four editions were among them. I chatted for a couple of minutes and seeing as I was just starting the roundssaid I'd be back and get some later. He said "no problem, I've got a bunch of them". Two hours later I stopped back to find every copy sold. Chatted for another few minutes and left. I got the feeling I could have stood ther for an hour and just shot the breeze.

Frank

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Same here, he was very pleasant to me, just a guy that walked up and said thanks for his contribution to our hobby. Had a nice chat. Joe

26. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

McKEE...damn brother, your right about that. i think it was just an overseight...POP.

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Killer car Pat, from a longtime fan of yours.

28. b-bob

b-bob

Pat, thanks for coming on here and explaining the situation. I can understand the stress of having two cars in the show and trying to get everything ready and not being too pleased about being put in an undesirable corner. Love the car too!

29. Hi Pat,

Thanks for coming on here to give your view. Its one fantastic little roadster and I cant wait to see the dragster finished too!

Best regards

Greg Stokes
    NZ Hot Rod Magazine

30. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I think it should have been by itself like it was. The car is too nice to be thrown in the mix with everything else. Awsome car.