Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Galaxie master cylinder help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hey guys. I just bought a 62 galaxie and before I start cruising it around I'm switching from the old fruit jar MC to a dual bowl MC. I bought one for a 67 galaxie from rock auto and it doesn't look like the right one. The part number on the box and on my invoice both say it's for front and rear drums, but this looks like a disc/drum one. I thought drum/drum MCs had both bowls the same size.

If like to swap to front discs eventually but I was going to wait until after summer. Will this work if I keep the front drums for now? Or should I send it back?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434582897.365065.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434582907.380058.jpg

2. Can you tell if the piston is the same size? Or even what diameter it is? Not really sure if it will make a difference, but someone will chime in on that.

3. Oh yeah I did a bunch of searching and everything I read said 66-67 mustang or galaxie MC fits. Same bore, should bolt right in. I'm just wanting to make sure I got the right part. I thought for some reason for drums both pots were the same size. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks disc/drum to me. search dearborneclassics.com & mpbrakes.com for correct examples

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most dual OE drum/drum masters have equal appearing chambers, but some aftermarket one's I've seen (or am using) look like disc/drum because they can be used for both. No reason you can't use a disc/drum master on a drum/drum system, and when you do switch to disc/drum, the master will not have to be changed.
    You do need to check for internal residuals, and add 10# valves to each axle if necessary for your drum brakes.

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I used that master cylinder for years with drum/drum on my Fairlane. Worked fine.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Just make sure when you plumb in the pressure switch it is in a vertical or 45* position. Trust me.

8. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

It seems like they make one or two master cylinder castings and they fit everything, I ran in to the same thing on my Impala and it too was drum/drum it worked fine
    I'd use it.

9. Johnerman

Johnerman

No residual valve necessary if cowl mount only if discs and frame mount

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, NOT entirely correct. Vintage drums do need residuals, regardless of master location. Curious, why do you state otherwise?

11. Yes, no residual is needed for a drum-drum firewall application.. did a factory 1967 Ford have them? Of course not. I would also try to go with a pedal-mount brake light switch ('65ish Galaxie, '67-70 Mustang, etc.). I have a proportioning valve on my Ford with the hydraulic switch, have to see how it works out.

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Residuals were internal in drum master cylinders up until the early/mid '70s. Yes, the '67 Ford had them, of course! :rolleyes:
    Below is a typical drum/drum master from '67 up to the '70s.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The stroke of the push rod is the thing you need to keep constant in this swap,make sure the piston depth in the dual is the same depth as the old single. The dual used by many members in the Ford Group is a $30 Autozone part# M1485.