Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical galaxie hood hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP, Mar 26, 2020.

1. COOP

COOP

Picked up a really nice 64 Galaxie and want to install a fiberglass bubble hood. I have built my own cars for the last 60 years. Getting to the point in my life where I find it's getting had to accomplish what I used to do. I have been looking for someone to install this hood. I kinda have an idea as how I want this done, however everyone I ask wants to use a nutsert type fastener. I know by experience that these fasteners have their place......but not in fiberglass. They always break loose and sometimes fall out. I am using hood pins and no springs on the hinge. I have this idea of a backing plate which sandwiches the fiberglass between two steel surfaces. Any ideas from the gallery would be appreciated. I would love to do this myself but find it very difficult. Another reason that I would like to do it is the fact that I have been out of the loop for so long (because of self help) that I can't fathom some of the hourly rates that some of these shops are charging. ($150- $225 per hour). Thanx all......you have been a big help in the past.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

Can you cut plates from a salvage hood and slip them into the glass hood? As far as trying to glass them in, I think they would be fine left loose for adjustments.

3. 62rebel

62rebel

Of course I mean plates with the blind nuts in them.