Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel tank sending HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

<IFRAME style="POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 10px; HEIGHT: 10px; TOP: -9999em" id=twttrHubFrame tabIndex=0 src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/hub.1326407570.html" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>I got this the other day, it did not come with a sending unit. I am hoping to use it with the factory tank and stock sending unit. ( 6 volt )

Will it work? Will I need an after market sender? if so will it fit my stock tank?
    What are my options?
    Im asking now so I dont have to drain and remove the tank twice.

Thanks
    MrC.

Sunpro CP8209 - Sunpro Analog StyleLine Gauges

[​IMG]large image

<TABLE class=overvw><TBODY><TR class=spacer><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Brand</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Sunpro</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Manufacturer's Part Number</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>CP8209</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Part Type</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Gauges, Analog</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Product Line</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Sunpro Analog StyleLine Gauges</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Summit Racing Part Number</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>SUN-CP8209</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels></TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data></TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Style</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Sunpro Analog StyleLine</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Sending Unit</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Electrical</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Type</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Fuel level</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Range</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Empty-full</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Size (in)</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>2 in. diameter</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Size (mm)</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>51.00mm diameter</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Sweep</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>90 degree sweep</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Sender Ohm Range</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Face Color</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>White</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Number Color</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Pointer Color</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Red</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Bezel Finish</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Chrome</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Liquid-Filled</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>OEM Replacement</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Sending Unit Included</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Quantity</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Sold individually.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gauge Series</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Analog</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. squirrel

squirrel

It says it needs a sender with 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full. Assuming you're talking about putting it in your 53 chevy, the stock sender has 0 ohms empty, 30 ohms full. so it won't work with the stock sender.

You can buy "universal" senders to work with the Sun gage, but they don't have the fuel pickup tube on them...but I forget if the 53 chevy has the pickup tube built into the sender. I know the 55 does.

I'd use the original gage if it were my car. Or look for a gage that works with the stock sender ohm rating.

3. The stock sending unit is a rheostat it really shouldn't care how much voltage is to the gauge. You will still need 12V to the gauge. The rheostat causes resistance on the ground side of the gauge and that is what causes the needle to move. You will need a gauge or a sender with the proper resistance range.

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

OK, guys, thanks, I dont know anything about this type of guage.
    The stock tank in a gravity feed line in the bottem of the tank, the sender is in the top.
    I will pick up a matching sender.
    Thanks again
    MrC.

5. RetiredGuy

RetiredGuy
    from Washington