Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel smell fumes - not leaking gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by historynw, Dec 10, 2012.

1. historynw

historynw

Well after about 7yrs I finally got the 47 Chevy up and running. We were able to sort out the 700R4 problem, apparently the accumulator gasket caused a problem with the pressure switch.

The rod shop guy got the timing squared away on the 330/350 crate so the car is scary now with all the power. I've noticed when I put it away after it been run the smell of fuel takes a long time to dissipate in the garage. I don't have any venting on the gas tank and put the 750 Edelbrock on right out of the box. I am wonder if venting would help or perhaps a charcoal canster to soak up the fumes. I used one of those new Hagan vent tube gas tank door assembly that lets you fill w/o removing the gas cap. I'm thinking its taking a long time for the fuel to return to the tank. Adding that the engine heat from the headers and new exhaust don't help. Any suggestions??

A few cosmetic paint issues - hooking up the a/c controls and a good buffing and I'm seeing the road in my Chevrolet.

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

If your float level is too high it could be dripping over. You always have to set those even with new carbs.

3. F&J

F&J

4. how does it work without a vent in the tank?

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of ride & engine. have ventilation in garage? new gas does vaporize. unless high performance 350 (330 is not real HP) do not need a 750 carb. pull oil dip stick and smell for gas. any problems when starting or shutting off engine?

6. historynw

historynw

I think its actually a 650, this is an older left over new GM 330 Vortec it was from 1999 not rebuilt engine. We added intake-headers- I reconfigured my Crossfire HEI distributor.

The tank may vent from the top but I have no idea what it was in before I got the car. With the old fill it used to toss gas out.

I was thinking the headers are putting out some heat added to the intake that allows the left over fuel to percolate after it sits. It takes hours until the odor drops off.

It runs very strong no bogs, no hicups. We may have to do some rear end work because it will smoke it tires now as longs as you mash it..The rod guy thought I want unlimited speed well, thats fine but I do need to get some MPG.

I will check the floats.

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Our 36 Chev had a gas smell and when I had it up on the hoist I found a gas line that was wet. PUlled that connection apart and sealed it, gas smell was gone. It might be as simple as that.

8. historynw

historynw

Next time of the lift we will check.