Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kerwinq, May 21, 2011.

1. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

Will a mechanical fuel pump work for any year SBC? I have a latter 350 (I think 88) and it has a block off plate installed now but I would like to put in a fuel pump if it will work. I believe it will but thought I would ask just to be sure

Thanks, Kerwin

2. go to the "edit" button of your post, then go to the "Go advanced" button and then delete

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Am I missing something? Take the blockoff plate off and discard, insert fuel pump push rod and replace with the stock fuel pump plate and bolt on the manual pump?????

4. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

I pulled the block off plate and there is no hole in the block for the fuel pump.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just answered your own question then. There is no way to put a mechanical pump on that block as they were not machined for mechanical pumps. One of those factory engineering "no one will use it anymore so why do it" things that doesn't take into coun the guys wanting to retrofit the newer blocks with older stuff to run in an older vehicle.
    You will have to run and electric pump.
    There was a period in the 60's when they didn't drill and tap the front pads of small block Chev engines for the tri-5 front style mounts and some guys threw enough of a fit that they started drilling and tapping them at the factory again. This is a similar situation. The cam wouldn't have the lobe to drive the fuel pump anyhow so you would have to change cams to be able to run a mechanical pump even if it was machined for one.

6. nukeGM

nukeGM

That makes sense, these engines were always about the shinny chrome addons and not really about putting 25 cents worth of chromium into the cast block so that they wouldn't burn oil from day one. :D

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Then I guess the answer to your question is NO.

8. billygoat67

billygoat67

mabe a little more help for you. as stated they stopped drilling the pushrod holes for the fuel pump pushrod. you can have it machined in at a machine shop but that would be costly.
    several projects lately friends have done with the same problem, solution go to advanced auto parts and buy a electric fuelpump that fits 1981 buick riviera 4.1 L
    airtex pump part #E 8012S. $51.99 install it with a fuel pump relay do do it right.
    hope that helps you get your ride on the road.

9. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

Thanks for the info