Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Nov 26, 2012.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I purchased a new fuel tank..for my 51..chevy.. The new tank has a larger inlet... its a 3/8 NPT..and my fuel line fitting is smaller.. (not sure what size)(Same type of fitting as the Brake Line Fittings)(I forget what the'yre called)..can I get a reducer...or have to run a new line now..??? Thanks Guys..Also any links to buy these type fittings..would be great.. (One other thing)....I am Trying to figure out what the exact type and size Motor I have..The Rear end and Trans were replaced with a 50..and he told me the engine had been changed as well...but he wasnt sure what year...So..I tried to look it up..I see on a Pre 54..the I.D. is stamped right next to the dip stick... Mine says F9I9J...(HUH???)...Please Take a peak at the pics..ANY..advice you Can Give Based on them, would be great....I plan to convert to 12V.....Motor Work is new to me..I have a general Know how..But adjusting Valves..Ect.. Will Be an adventure.. ONe More Thing While WE are here...The Radiator seems to close to the fan...??? 11.jpg

11.1.jpg

11.2.jpg

11.3.jpg

11.4.jpg

11.5.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. sure , you can get a 3/8 pipe fitting fitting to connect to most any fuel line... what size line are you using?

3. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Im not sure..Thats another issue.. Im almost 100% sure its the original fuel line..and I know for sure the old take was Org. It was rusted Clean threw...The line is in Great shape though... So I Can Just Use a "Reducer Type Fitting..??..From the Tank..Reducing to the Old Line..Male / Female..??

4. if your fuel line is original , i suggest you run a new steel line....5/16 should be fine

you can get fittings to go from 3/8 NPT to 5/16 inverted flare

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you don't know what the old one is, (and the tank is ruined) just cut the fitting out of the tank and take it to the local hardware store. Then you can match up a reducer from that size up to the new tank size.

6. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Yeah...The Tank Is gone..Besides..That would have been To easy...:rolleyes:

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

to see what size the line is just find an open end wrench that fits the line and there you are. engine looks like a 235 with that valve cover bolt pattern and short side cover.