Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Front Engine Dragster update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carshopowner, May 14, 2010.

1. carshopowner

carshopowner

Quickest run to date is 8.030 at 161

The engine in the dragster is apart,the crank needs to be ground, bearings need replacement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A conservative estimate is there are 200 runs on these parts.

Plan is to now check every 50 runs.

[​IMG]

There were never any shavings in the oil filter. It appears they were just hammered until they started to squeeze out the side and rub against the crank journal. The crank does need to be ground.

[​IMG]

I could not get the shot I wanted of the cam. The one lobe has the start of a dish at the top. We will replace the cam with the same grind but with a more blower friendly lobe separation.

[​IMG]

I still think they look nice. I believe the engine is developing about 850 HP, we will put it on the dyno when rebuilt

[​IMG]

Full update with pictures on my web site.
    http://www.leverfamilysite.com/2010_Front_Engine_Dragster_Week_2014_01_06_E.htm

2. For as hard as you have been hammering it the parts don't look to bad. I see you flattend the tang on the one bearing that moved out, maybe just need a better "chrush" on it.

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Aluminum rods are not so hard on parts when running a blower
    What was the side clearence of the rods
    Might consider narrowed and champhered rod bearings, lets you run a bigger fillet on the crank journal and really dont need all that surface contact

4. carshopowner

carshopowner

I do not remember what the clearances were. We did narrow and champher the rod bearings.

Though about swapping to aluminum rods.

For now I will just check the bearings after every 50 or so runs, and replace bad ones..

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If you would please --install the bearing shells in the caps and take another picture

6. carshopowner

carshopowner

Well it has been awhile since I posted an update.

This winter we put new aluminum rods and pistons into the engine from Venolia.

Ran the NDRL series of races in the 8.0 index.

We also ran the Hot Rod Reunion in both Bowling Green and Epping.

Highlights were

Gateway Motor Sports park. I was on top of the qualifying pile running .023 over on his PC/A index until Troy Wilson in the third qualifier on Saturday afternoon to take that spot away and ran .019. Semifinal pairings had Lever downing Dale Fidler and newcomer Shorty Rader taking the bye to advance to the final. Lever sealed his fate on a breakout pass going .003 under trying to best Raders pass running dead on his index with Rader earning his first NDRL victory.

Blue Suede Cruise at Summit Motor Sport Park. Made it to the semi-finals and went to do our burn out and sheared all the bolts holding the flex plate to the torque converter.
    We ended up being fourth in the points.

Hot Rod Reunion in Epping. Made it to the finials, where it was a double break out, where I broke out more.

Not bad for skipping one race and being the first season running a point series with a blower.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not so shabby Good job.