Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front End Repair time? Chiltons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worthop, Aug 7, 2014.

1. worthop

worthop

Anybody have a Chiltons Repair time guide? going to have a local shop do some front end work...was just curious what Chiltons says.... 1954 Chevy, front springs, shocks, sway bar bushings, rebuild idler arm, and maybe kingpins.... I am just looking for labor time, I have the parts....

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Chiltons does not take into account the age and condition of the vehicle. Most of these jobs are strictly time and material, do you trust the shop? Gary

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'56 Motor's shows 6.5 hours for both sides to repair/replace all worn parts.

4. this is true. plus if it is coming apart don't you want to clean and paint the parts also? that would not be considered either in the book.

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

From a guy who worked flat rate for 25 years in a GM dealer.
    If you brought in something that old and started quoting flat rate times from a 50 year old book you would be laughed at and probably shone the door.

slowmotion likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

I was thinking the same thing ^^^^. I can understand not wanting to get boned, but pulling the F/R book out on a guy working on an old classic might be a little over of line. A quote would at least be a guide line. If you don't have a trusting feeling towards the shop, move on.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I just ask them how much. And if I bring in my own parts, I tell them to add their markup on parts. They usually don't, but at least I offer. They have overhead, they are faster than I am, and my back and knee prevent me from doing lots of things I used to enjoy doing myself.

8. Why not do it yourself? HRP

9. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

If they go at it with all impact guns treating it with the same respect as a 10yr old plow truck, they can get it done in a much shorter time than if they treat the car the way you would like them to.
    A better question to ask is a rough high/low price range. Then decide if the cost is worth it to you.If you trust them and they treat you fair, that is all that matters. I can get you plenty of cheap shops, but you get what you pay for.
    Dont forget about an alignment, likely tie rod ends, tie rod, wheel bearings, and control arm pivot shafts and nuts. If the rest of the front end is worn, good chance some or all of these are also worn.

10. worthop

worthop

Thanks 302GMC and everyone else...trying to get a rough idea of whether or not the price they give is going to be in the ballpark....