Register now to get rid of these ads!

From This to This in 13 Months

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 43gman, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

I don’t think I’ve ever even come close with any of my other “creations,” but being retired probably helps! :D It was December of ‘08 when we drug this thing home from a guy up near Raleigh.

This afternoon I braved the cold, kicked the jackstands out from under, and drove her out into the afternoon air for a couple of pics. As some of you know, the goal was a car that a couple of teenagers would have put together in the late 50’s and early 60’s, basic, basic.

Still some little stuff to do before the “drive around the block,” but she runs great, stops, starts, steers. Thanks to all of the help from the HAMB, here and in the classifieds, both a great benefit to getting this far along in such a short time! GA

Attached Files:

2. I would have left the green paint But to each there own....and I love the full fenders....

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Ditto, Looks good though. Whats under the hood?

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow!! really cool.... I was hoping it wasn't a rat rod and your didn't let me down!! :D

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep, I hate seeing a good paint job covered with flat black.

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

You gonna make it to Myrtle beach? I'll stripe it for 'ya.

You know it ain't done till the stripes are on.........

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You guys are crazy!!! That car looks fucking awesome!!!! Gloss paint jobs are the cat meow but lets not lump this car in with others. This car is a dedication to 43gman's coupe back in the day am I right?

The car looks awesome in flat black and the brown interior is beautiful. If I had the car I would have changed the green also. I love that you went with black walls and moon caps and it screams "high school" hot rod circa 1958!!! Let's see the candy under the hood. I know you have a nice little warmed up Chevy in there too!

Note: Flat black might be overused and abused in many case but there are always exceptions to the rule. Ryan's Model A and Coop's Sedan are two examples. There are definitely a ton of examples from the past that can justify using the color in a correct manner and besides that, it's a great looking paint job when done with restrain in other areas as this car shows. Don't think Flat black and red wheels with spider webs. Think flat black dark and devious high school students in 1958 tearing up the streets of Virginia or somewhere on the East coast.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Which is the before and which is the after??

9. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Car looks great FLAT BLACK and all.......no it wont blend in with everything else and I do like the fenders being left on this one.

10. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Haha no doubt. Took a nearly finished restored A, lowered it and primered it. I'm sure it also has a powertrain swap, I see dual exhaust.

I also vote for the green, or at least shiny paint since you could have scuffed the car and painted it pretty much any period correct simple color, like maybe burgundy, black (glossy) red, something other than flat black.

My last truck was black but I drug it out of a closed down wrecking yard on a front end loader. LOL

Still a decent looking car, but please make it period shiny!

11. ...I like it, but I think flat black is way overdone; I'd paint over the black with a brush using house paint (flat) and sand it smooth, but that's just my 2 cents.

12. Avette4me

Avette4me
    from Tuttle, OK

Nice car. What's under the hood.

WTF

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Serious dejavu going on here. My first drivable hot rod was a '28 coupe. I painted mine shiny green but I sure like yours.

Frank

14. yo still haven't told us what you used for driveline. and what did you do the the chassis?

15. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

The coupe look's COOL, I agree the black wall's were the way to go. What kind of power plant ya running? And what's hanging under the rear.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's slick but I agree that it is just one more of a big batch of flat black no imagination cars. the car has and has a lot going for it when you get past the flat black.
    I'm so dead sick and tired of seeing frigging flat black thrown out like it's something special that I could scream. That's more belly button than a SBC in it.

17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Lets not be too harsh. The original paint may have had issues and its the only real knock against it.

18. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

he built the car for himself. maybe he never had a flat black car which makes it new to him. not everyone builds so others will like it. looks good to me. you can park it in my garage any day.

19. I should clarify my views before this thread gets closed.:rolleyes:

I personally love the look of flat black...There I said it...

Furthermore I'm pretty sure most of you do to.....the problem is that any Rock-a-silly hot rod wanna be thinks that if you paint a car flat black...instant Hot Rod. It has gotten so played out. IMHO, Anyone that wants to bitch about how traditional it is NOT to paint your car, doesn't know what they are talking about. I have never seen a picture of a flat black or primer car entered at a show back in the day. Not to say that primer wasn't used. It just wasn't as common then as it is now. Just for most guys it was a step.... before final paint.

But what do I know...I wasn't there....

the only reason I said I wouldn't have painted it is because it already looked decent in green. But it's not my car, and as long is the owner is happy with it I can appreciate it. Because if he is happy with it, than I am happy for him. It doesn't matter whether I like it or not.

20. NealinCA

NealinCA

21. I got a flash for you guys,,it's his car and he built it the way he wanted it,,

It reminds me of the kinda of cars I built when I was much younger,,BTW,,I love the moon disc! HRP

22. looks like the same car. Now that I know it was brushed, I'm more impressed. It looks damn good!

and I think I spy a banger.....:eek:

23. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

That was an awesome read! It brings out the true traditionalism of the hot rod era! Thank you for posting that! I want a Model A so bad I can spit and I plan on doing the same thing! Thanks NealinCA

24. I think it's bitchin'. I hope it does have a SBC in it just to piss off some of you elitists.

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Can you imagine what it would have been like if you asked for all these opinions? Seems like you wanted others to be as pleased with your progress as you are. Looks like great progress to me, congrats. I know the feeling you felt taking the pictures more than outweighs the negative responses. Good job I say. Joe

26. freebird101

freebird101

same

27. Hey I like the way it turned out. If you don't, noone asked ya.

I'm doin' a '31 Sedan and I'm gonna paint it flat black, so there.

28. Congrats, have fun with it. Thanks for sharing.

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good lord, dude. what made you so angry and bitter?

why not just tell him his wife is ugly and his mother didn't love him too?