Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Friends A build - steering box question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lono, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Lono

Lono

A good friend is building a 27 sedan on an A frame. He's running a 302.
    An issue has arose with the steering box. Its from a 49 truck. He's boxed the frame properly but the issue is the truck box is protruding into the engine compartment making it impossible to mount headers. - I used a vega box in my 31 coupe build so dont quite know what to tell him. I've also used a truck box in a 32 frame with a flathead, not a 302.
    Whats the resolving solution and I'll pass it along?

2. Lono

Lono

some pictures

Attached Files:

• box.jpg
      box.jpg
      File size:
      215.5 KB
      Views:
    • box2.jpg
      box2.jpg
      File size:
      238.9 KB
      Views:
    • box3.jpg
      box3.jpg
      File size:
      206.2 KB
      Views:
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Next time you're in his garage, shake his hand, point at the '49 box and calmly tell him, "Let it go, man. Just let it go."
    Friends don't let friends use bad parts.

Flathead Dave and 1927graham like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were me and I had these parts and wanted to make it work I would cut the flange off the box, have another one water jetted up, and then install it past where the original one was by an inch or more if you can do it. Then have it welded up by a competent welder. The small angle brace on the bottom will probably limit the amount you can move it away from the motor tho. I had to do this with my A roadster with my 8BA flathead. It had to go as far to the left in the frame rail as you can get it to have any room at all for exhaust manifolds and it is really close. I can just barely squeeze the manifold on.

I guess the other option might be to relocate the hole for the steering box back a couple of inches, which might meant you will need to shorten the steering shaft? One way or the other there will be some work to do...

5. 41hemi

41hemi

Is it fenderless? If so consider mounting the box on top of the frame. I've done it on a fenderless car with the F1 box. Fashion a plate with the steering box bolt pattern on it and mount it on the top of the frame.

6. Lono

Lono

It'll have fenders

Sent from my SM-T530NU using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. does it have to have headers ? Ford had a factory left side 351W manifold that looks like it would work....and we/me could have the right/or left side - mate if needed ? or late model Mustang H0 factory headers ?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good friend built a '30 Model A roadster, F100 box, full fendered, SBC, headers.
    I rebuilt the box, he installed it. He called me after 150 miles ('shakedown run') and said my rebuilt box was leaking. I told him NOT to remove it, just drive the roadster to the shop.
    The header was 1/8" from the F100 steering box, #5 stub literally BOILING the 90/140 wt. gear oil out.
    I would have understood if the clearance was more like 3/8", but the damned thing was going steady with a pipe that was hillbilly hot, albeit lubed with Swepco lube, the stuff that Porsches shift with.
    (NON-foaming...)
    After a browbeating lesson on fluid and temperature dynamics, he succumbed to a relocation of said F100 box. (problem was solved by a flange that slipped closer to the box on the sector sleeve)
    ...and yes, he asked if we couldn't "just put an aluminum deflector plate in between"...
    Cripes, they're ALL 'engineers'...

9. I don't see a problem. You can make headers to fit there.

Or are you talking 'off the shelf' headers?

10. Something tells me that the steering gear wasn't mocked up with the body on with him sitting on the seat. That steering shaft looks to be pointing skyward, perfectly inline with the top of the cowl and right on through the windshield.

11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

X38 looks like he's got a set of headers already check out middle picture. On floor of shop on drivers side.

12. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Oops not on floor right on the running board

13. It's OK, I see them. Now you've pointed that out, it is the problem with off the shelf headers, unless they are made for a specific situation you can never assume they'll fit.

I was really responding to the "impossible to mount headers" part. I guess it should have been "impossible to fit these headers."

Once the steering is nailed, to me it's a case of modifying the headers on hand if that's feasible or, make some to suit.

14. Lono

Lono

We're going to pull the box and look at mounting on the frame. He'll be running with the top of the hood only - no sides and he'll look at cutting away for the pitman arm but I have been putting a bug in his ear to go Vega.
    If we go vega he needs to convert the oilpan and sump to rear pick up as right now its a front sump motor.
    The present location of the box clears the cowl. I think we can address the column incline should we mount on top of the frame.

My next adventure is to go over, take out the box, put on the - block hugger headers and look to see if there will be clearance on top of the frame for the present box. If not, then we'll regroup.

15. alchemy

alchemy

With the modern motor it just isn't worth it to worry about or use the F-1 box. Get a good Vega box, not a cheapo.

X38 and Lono like this.