Register now to get rid of these ads!

///////Friday Art Show 9-20-07/////

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIGHTY, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hey, you art guys should know this:

I've got an old Hi-Fi from the '50s (it was my grandparents'). It was originally a blonde veneer, they had it lacquered black to go with their decor. The black flaked off years ago, but the veneer is too damaged to use (it's through to the plywood on the corners). How can I seal the wood so I can use auto paint on it? I'm thinking it would look awesome in a metallic green or something. Sort of like you occasionally see on string insturments (the stand up bass from Tiger Army comes to mind).

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Rem

Rem

Great art as usual. Dutch, I love that '34 Coupe - probably got a photo of it every year at the Hot Rod Drags, including last weekend, but . . . . still no wiser as to what the driver looks like! The car kinda appears there, then disappears again!

3. customcory

customcory

Just got here and I haven't looked at anything yet, but I did see Coop666 painting, and I love it, I love seeing it come together! Here is some more of my typical stuff, but I love doing it. A 39 sedan all chopped and sectioned and channeled and molded up. I'm playin with color. Still got a lot to learn!Throwed in the rough sketch and where I play around trying to get the colors right. Might get something else on in a little bit. I love the art show.:D

Dsc00799.jpg

Dsc00800.jpg

Dsc00796.jpg

Dsc00797.jpg

Dsc00169.jpg

4. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Here's my contribution this week. My son is a Roth fan and asked if I could make a Mr. Gasser for him.
    I used this chance to try out using stencils. My fingers are sore from using the exacto blade.
    I used 5 different stencils to make this. Coupe-de Cab I have a new appreciation for the stencils you do.
    Sure has opened up some possibilities for me. I used just regular spray bomb paints, no airbrush.
    It's not perfect but it sure was fun to do.
    Coop that painting reminds me of a Raushenberg. Nice.

[​IMG]
    Bernie

5. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

for a first time with stencils, that turned out great! It's got good crazy energy, like it should!

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

If you plan to top coat with automotive products, I would stick with automotive products under it as well. That way you wan't have issues with the automotive paints reacting to non-automtive products underneath. Plastic fillers (bondo) stick real well to wood. I've used it to repair wood moldings in my house and it's still there with no signs of problems. Use the bondo to repair the veneer and then sand and use automotive primer sealer and then top coat.

7. guiseart

guiseart

nice stuff all...
    my peice is small, done for Jay (NoSurf) as a gift for Ryan... I wish I had a better picture. No, it's not a tombstone... Ryan, you feeling okay, right? It's about 1 ft square if I remember.
    Thanks for the kind words.

8. swill67

swill67
    from merced, ca

Great stuff as always. There are some incredibly talented artist on this board.
    Here is my first ever art show post. It's a design for some t-shirts I did for our family camping trip.

Attached Files:

9. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

That's hot rod related alright, but where's the distraction this week?

Great start to the show everyone.

A foot/armrest in progress for a tatoo buddy of mine;

Attached Files:

10. realkustom51

realkustom51

Looks like Candy Apple!

11. philo426

philo426

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">[​IMG]
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

12. philo426

philo426

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">[​IMG]
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

13. Here ya go. Some old salvaged pieces. A bit embarrasing but 'ca gotta know where ya came from ta get to where yer goin!

From about 1982, "Vandal" is O.T. but shows the Characature style iI once worked in. I removed heavy water stains from the background and am lucky it survived the rains:

[​IMG]

Those are from around '82 or '83 and were never completed

[​IMG]

This one's from ariond '88:

[​IMG]

14. GaryC.

GaryC.

What if...

What if you had a '59 Buick just sitting around
    and you had a torch and you had a lot
    of spare time on your hands?
    Well; you could build this!

I was in the mood this week to do a 60's style show rod...
    something along the lines of "The Outlaw" or maybe
    the "Beatnik Bandit". This is what I came up with.

Meet the "Dragonfly"!
    (Every 60's style show rod has a cool name!)

Attached Files:

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

dont have much time to work on new stuff. A repost, but with a speedster windsheild in place of the bubble.

Open the window in full for better detail

Attached Files:

16. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Bernie,
    Great job for your first one, that's awesome!

Yea, my first multi colored stencil i ever did i got a boob-boo on my finger from cutting for hours and got a gnarley blister on my finger that actually left a scar on it:(

Stoked you put yourself out there and went for it, looks very nice... keep 'em coming. my first attempt was only a two color stencil, then my second i went straight for 5!

hey, too all the stripers that posted this week... you guys rule, great lines everyone:)

peace out.
    CAB

17. I don't know what medication your taking but can I get a pint please.....brilliant rendering of a fantastic idea.....you are supremely warped..(this is a complement!)

18. etxhfeg

etxhfeg
    from Sweden

(My first "real" post...) I must say that I really, really enjoy this friday art show and all of this amazing talent shown here. I haven't posted much yet so I hope that it's ok if I want to be a part of it as well even if my water-color paintings aren't showing cars (haven't painted any cars yet...).

Attached Files:

19. That's cool.

20. Phil|ARJ

Phil|ARJ

Hi guys! I'm new here.
    I've been enjoying everyone's contribution to this forum for the past few weeks and I finally joined the H.A.M.B. You guys always come up with some awesome artwork!

Here is my contribution :
    [​IMG]

It's a Mercer Cobra, a dream car designed by Virgil Exner for the American Copper Development Association who wanted to promote the use of copper and brass in the car industry. It was presented in 1965.
    So... it's not a hot-rod, but I think it was fast (based on an AC Cobra), there's almost no fenders in the front and overall it's pretty bitchin'!

It's a digital painting made in Photoshop using a tablet and custom brushes.
    I will make more hot-rod related paintings soon.
    Take care and keep the great art coming!

Phil

21. 2tall

2tall

Of all the things I look at on the net in a week, this thread is the only 'Must see' item.

A few stripes from me this week, done at a local show...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. great work fellas as usual

heres my second trip into the perilous world of coloured pencils.....foto distorts it a little, really need to setup my scanner....

[​IMG]

monkey

23. heres something i did this week.....

[​IMG]

24. Give it up, mate.

No, seriously, that looks fantastic! You've really started to get the feel of it.
    Nice work!

Phil|ARJ, welcome aboard. Nice picture. Cool subject matter!

25. customcory

customcory

Thanks man, I wish I had a scanner, this stuff would look a lot better.:D

26. Brad S.

Brad S.

Damn....

Awesome Friday. Coop...that painting rocks. Can you post a shot of the one next to it?

27. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

2Tall---UK...your 'Mirror" imaging is scary cool !

28. dankyd

dankyd

Here is my newest. I have been real busy working on commissions and haven't had time to paint my own. I went to look at this 56 ford that was for sale and the old guy that came out said it ran and drove and was $500. I couldn't believe it. He had to jump it, but it did fire right up. I came back a couple days later to get it, but he had sold it already. I was a little pissed, but I did get a couple reference photos and that's what this is from.
    40x60" oil on canvas

www.autoexpressionist.com

[​IMG]

29. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

Greg great work, mr coop your stuff is always top notch every one great work this week

30. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Seems like a slow start...Motorburg? check in ???