Register now to get rid of these ads!

frickin lightswitch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkey, Jun 26, 2008.

1. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

I'm changing out the dash mounted headlight switch on a 54 ford to switch it to an updated 12V system. I have the new Motorcraft switch, but haven't completely figured out what I'm not seeing under the dash...can't get the old one out. what the hell am I missing?

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think by '54 Ford had switched from the tiny slot/leaf catch for knob to a pushbutton.
    Feel around under dash on the part of the switch that holds the actual switch box back a ways from the dash, probably on top out of sight. You should encounter a small, wobbly pushbutton. With switch off, hold down this button and wiggle and pull the knob out. Then you can just unscrew the bezel and take the switch out.

3. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

what Bruce said, about 1/2 way back, on the top...get a circus performer, like the elastic lady to help...it's never easy

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Your switch will work with the 12 volt system. Unless of course its inoperable to begin with.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, by modern standards it's a heavy duty unit. Pry back tabs, remove plastic terminal plate while carefully keeping track of the sliding parts, clean, grease, reassemble. These things die of dirt and are rarely actually damaged. It is VERY likely better quality than the new one and has lots of extra amperage capacit. And fits.

6. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Cool. Thanks for the heads up on the release. More importantly, now I'll get to put that contortionist midget I've been storing in the garage back to work....

And the original switch wasn't working quite a few years back, but may try it after I can get it out of the dash and cleaned up. Hell if it works, I'll store the new until it goes.