Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fresh 327

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jan bogert, Dec 12, 2014.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

so i got a fresh 327 for my '41 willys. I am trying to break in the cam. I got spark at all the plugs. got fuel pressure at 5lbs. brought #1 up on top dead center and the rotor is right on #1 plug wire. the motor just keeps stumbling it won't catch or run. I'm baffled, there's no backfire, or popping, any suggestions welcome.

2. Jan
    I have been playing with small blocks for 40+ years and still manage to get 'em 180 put when shooting for TDC. Maybe double check and make sure one that you are turning it the right direction and two that you are looking at the intake closing and not the exhaust.

Not saying that you screwed that up but its worth a try.

AHotRod likes this.
  3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

You sure your at tdc on compression stroke?...stick your finger in the spark plug hole a little ways and crank till you feel compression ....then to tdc.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

AHotRod likes this.
  4. Back to the top for ya Jan. maybe someone else has better advice.

5. Pinstripe_Chuck

Pinstripe_Chuck

I like to bring #1 to about 8-10 degrees BTDC (maybe more depending on your cam) and set the distributor rotor right to #1. Make sure its on the compression stroke of course. Gives it enough advance to usually fire right up, assuming everything else is in order. Get your float bowls filled too, you dont want to dry crank a new cam too much. Did you prime the oil pump before sticking the dist? Usually if dist is 180 out it will pop and backfire.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  6. I had a similar problem firing my 283 this spring. All the planets were aligned, would start, barely run then quit. I actually had the fuel lines reversed at the (mechanical) fuel pump. easy fix. Don't tell anyone ok? Tim

loudbang and jakespeed63 like this.
  7. Just like Pinstripe_Chuck said.. a real good idea to "statically" set your ignition timing. You may have already done this.(and verify dwell, if using points) If not...bring engine TDC(compression stroke). Then align timing mark to whatever number you are using (ie..10deg BTDC) With B+ power to the distributor, use a 12v test light(grounded) touch the points lead. Turn distributor, till the light just goes off. This will get you real close.
    Don't make the mistake I did. Once you fire that engine up, keep the RPM's up to manufactures recommended RPM(1800?) Leave it there! starting and stopping very bad for the cam break-in. Dumping oil then or later is a whole other discussion.
    Good luck. Nothing like firing up a fresh motor. :cool:
    JT

8. Keep us posted. Take a video.

9. 12amrider

12amrider
    from tacoma wa.

10. 12amrider

12amrider
    from tacoma wa.

a friend had a similer problem. start and die start and die. he put the two small wires on the starter solenoid on the same post. just a thought, good luck.

11. sdroadster

sdroadster

I had a similar problem. Apparently Chevrolet makes several different harmonic balancers with timing marks in different locations. My timing was spot on based on the pointer and balancer. After struggling to get the motor started I discovered it was seriously retarded. Pull number 1 spark plug and bring it to TDC based on the pointer, and thumb over spark plug hole feeling for compression. Then, check where the top of the piston is with a small screwdriver or some such. My piston was down the cylinder a ways, and I could not get the motor started until I brought the piston up and disregarded the timing mark.

12. walker

walker

I vote for 180 degrees off. Make sure it is tdc compression by sticking your finger in the drivers side front spark plug hole and cranking it until you feel compression, then bump it to tdc on the balancer. Also, is the balancer new? Those have a tendency to slip. Also make sure your wires are on in the correct order 18436572 IIRC, and going around the cap in the right direction. You did adjust the valves too, right?

13. I'll throw this out. Had a fresh 327 with 12 to 1 compression that would not catch. Turns out the stock starter motor was not up to the task to spin it fast enough. One mini high torque starter later and it fired on the first crank.

14. bgaro

bgaro

beaner says 180 out, i'd check that first. triple check firing order. did you change the coil or ballast resistor. what carb? my old rochester wouldn't run at pounds, it wanted less.

15. jan bogert

jan bogert

I put it 180 out and it popped thru the carb., so I put it back.I put a inline spark tester on each plug they all lite. I didn't change the coil, it has a HEI dissy. I was thinking next to change it out to the billit accel HEI. maybe it needs mode spark.

16. Jan
    Roll it until the #1 intake just closes, it will fire and run there, once lit spin your dist until it is pulling under its own.

I have had trouble with HEIs, once had an Accel that sounded like it was running on a governor for example. it tested OK and I pulled my hair until I finally pulled the distributer from my running truck and dropped it in place. Use a distributer that you know is good.

You are close, don't sweat it you'll get it sorted out.

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Not an expert, but if it is a big cap HEI it drops in a special way, check on the backspace before dropping it in. they are not like small dist. It seems like you are moving the rotor three plugs back. If you dropped it on close to 1, you are close to firing order on some of the plugs. That happened to me