Register now to get rid of these ads!

frenching headlight question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickles street chop shop, Nov 26, 2007.

1. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

i have read a tech post and some other threads. but the question i have is about the ring. the ones on the car, which is a 54 coronet, seem to be chrome plated. but one of them is pitted. does that mean that it is pott metal? im wondering if id be able to take my die grinder and take the chrome off and find weldable steel? or will i find pott metal and have just ruined a headlight ring?

2. rodknocker

rodknocker

put a magnet on it,if it sticks its probably weldable.

3. Vergil

Vergil

Might try a magnet, it will not stick to pot metal.

Vergil

oops rodknocker is faster lol

4. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

ok, i have some pretty strong little magnets and they didnt want to stick too well, but they did have some sticky-ness to the rings. lets say that they are pot metal, what is my best bet? just messure and hit up a swapmeet and hope ill find somthing that will fit?

im thinking about going to a junk yard, or salvage yard and find some fender and ring and pratice on that, insted of just doing it on my dodge first thing.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

You will find no steel beneith the pot metal! Are you sure that these
    arn't just plated steel? If so remove the plating and tack weld them
    into place. Lead or mud them in to fit your desired plan. Pot metal
    can't be welded to the steel fenders, and will have to be held on with
    metal clips and screws from inside the fender.

Swankey Devils C.C.

6. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

...yeah..hence the name pot metal. if there was steel under it then they would call it somthing else. like steel covered in crap. and dont worry, i already know you cant weld the two together...thanks for revewing with me.

7. rodknocker

rodknocker

you should check out some of the frenching kits and see if the diameters may work for your set up, it may make life easier.I know www.thenightprowlers.com has a few.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Remember this, all the single headlamp cars use the same size bulbs and mounting buckets(though different in style of adjustment hardware and mounting flanges to the fender). The headlamp doors or trim rings are designed to finish off the fender opening in style with the fender.
    Mopar cars and trucks often have chrome-plated die-cast zinc alloy(often called pot metal) headlamp doors, even the simple round not so deep ones are often die-cast rather than stamped stainless or steel.
    The die-cast pieces are heavier and thicker than the stamped stainless or steel(painted or plated). Easy to determine by scratching the inside surface with a pocketknife or screwdriver.

9. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

WOW what a dick you just sounded like !! all he was trying to do was answer your question and you come back with this response...from this response i hope you have a real fun time having people answer any more of your questions, ya smart-ass prick!!!!

10. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

..wow. i want to personally apologize. i broke my hand and now have a plate and six screws. im on codones and have a short temper. dont get me wrong, i am thankful for any help i get. im young and dont know much about this. :eek:

i feel horrable, i am sorry.

11. Slide

Slide

If you want the frenched-but-not-tunneled look, the rings Chevy used on 49-52 cars and 47-54 trucks are stainless steel, which can be MIG or TIG welded to the mild steel fender relatively easily. The Chevy rings are relatively easy to find at swaps and in the aftermarket, and are fairly inexpensive.

On my 52 Chevy sedan, I extended them out a bit and added a bit of sheet metal between the ring and the end of the fender, then fed a stainless ring from a 52 Ford in from the back.

You can also use panel-bonding adhesive (like what body shops use for replacing quarter panels these days) to "glue" the pot metal rings onto the fenders. Add some filler around the outside, shoot some primer and you're good to go. Not my favorite way of doing things, but it does work.

12. roddinron

roddinron

I've never heard of it being done, but I'm thinking of using JB weld on my studebaker, because I want to use the peaked original ones, then finishing it off with duraglass and bondo.
    Oh, and take care of your hand, I thought you were describing mine for a minute, plate and six screws also, if the plate is on the back of your hand, consider having it removed after it heals, it stretches the tendons, and keeps you from making a fist, very emasculating, unless you carry a bat, or practice punching with the other hand. :rolleyes:

13. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

What year Studebaker do you have?

14. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

no sir! im going to get a donor fender and pratice with that. im going to ox/acc weld it (i love that kind of welding) and then try and learn some lead work.

my grnadpa and dad are huge stude guys. i dont fit, im a mopar guy. my grandpa has built many studes and right now has his finnished 51 truck. my dad has recently got a 56 power hawk. changing it to a 53, just pulled out the 259 and going to put in a 289 that my grandpa has built.

15. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

i want to apologize again to pimpin paint.
    i have not met many people from the hamb, so no one can really vouch for me here, but im a real nice guy. try and do anything for some one, and really hate letting out an impression of anything else.

16. roddinron

roddinron

I've got a really rock solid 53 from New Mexico, that should have been done yrs ago, but a broken back sidelined me for a while. I like to customize, or at least personalize my cars, but I really like just about everything about the 53, even the headlight rims.

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

No victim, no crime! You're gonna have to work harder than that
    to hurt my "special feelings". I work for some people that get paid
    good money to do that!

Pimpin Paint