Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Frenched 52-54 Mercury bezels question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I've searched and read a lot but I have not found the answer, I'm planning to french '52 Mercury headlight bezels on my '51 Merc and I understand about mounting the buckets in from the back side for lens replacement and alignment but how do you take the stainless inner bezel in and out once they're welded into place?

They have spring clips in there from the factory, but there won't be any access to them once the bezels are welded into place. Curious to know what solutions others have come up with, it's a popular swap so there must be a way.

2. Slopok

Slopok

You must remove the bucket in order to remove the stainless ring, however make sure that the headlites are adjusted before putting the ring on. Also place them so that the seam is up at the top.

3. desotot

desotot

I made some custom clips out of stainless 316 tig rod that hold the rings in by tension but you can still pop the rings out to service the headlights.

Squablow likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Even with the buckets out, how do you get the rings off? There's not really access to the clips from behind. I'm not referring to the stainless retainer ring that holds the bulb to the bucket, I'm talking about the inner bezel of the 52-54 Mercury housing.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Any pictures, by chance?

6. Slopok

Slopok

They are hard to get to but you can pinch them and remove and install in this manner.

Squablow likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

That's good to know. I mocked one up and it looked like the clips would be completely trapped.

8. Most people use an oval head screw on each side to attach to a bracket welded to the headlight bucket. the stainless inner liner can then be removed to get to the headlight bulb.

Squablow likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

My '52 Ford has frenched headlights and that is how it's done on there, it actually had 3 screws including one on the bottom when I got it, and the inner bezels were painted for some reason, I replaced them with clean stainless rings and only used the upper two screws but you can still see them. It works but I'm hoping to avoid that on the Merc. If I put the screws up high enough to make them totally out of sight I'm not sure it'll hold the bottom in tight.

10. Slopok

Slopok

No need to use any screws that will detract from the clean look you are trying to achieve, the factory clips will work just fine. It's a pain to do but how often does a light burn out? Just make sure you have them adjusted correctly.

Squablow likes this.
  11. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

Its kind of hard to explain but it is easy to make clips that hold them in by friction so you can just grab them and pull them out by hand . I have done it many times.

Squablow likes this.
  12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have not done it but was told to cut pieces of heater hose or something like that and lay them in behind the bezel. They will hold the bezel in and will give to allow the bezel to come out. Has anyone done that?

13. Squablow

Squablow

I was thinking about Velcro actually, but now I'm curious to see if I can get the clips in and out. I have replacement rings for my '52 and I might just try it on there.

14. push_rod

push_rod

FYI: Dad had a 1953 Mercury for 38 years. I sold it in October, but I just found the manuals he collected for it (see three photos of details from his 1952-53 Chassis Parts Catalog). Best of luck.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app