Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical French Flathead Oil loosing through breather

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, Aug 29, 2021.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hey!

don't know if there is s commercial solution but thought i would show how i solved the problem with the French Flathead loosing oil through the 59a oil pan breather.
    first i welded the breather shut but had problem with the engine spitting oil from every hole or seal. logic if you think about it.
    same with a pcvavle so maybe pcv was too small. who knows.
    finally reactivated the breather.

this is the hole i am talking about
    20210820_191159.jpg
    following is my first try but didn't like it and wasn't
    tight with an oring below it
    20210829_144940.jpg

second try with oring sealing in blocks hole
    20210829_144928.jpg

and with height adjustable bolt plus jamnut. put a rubber cap on the bolt to protect the underside of the intake from scratches.

20210829_145011.jpg

by this you can make sure it stays positioned by the intake plus can be adjusted to "inner" height of intake e.g. if i ever change to the dog bone.

its got 17mm inside diameter up to the 6 holes. mathematically i would only have needed 5 holes but this way they won't be the issue.. if there is any.
    at the oring i kept 2,5..3mm of meat for it not to break.

here it is installed with the holes to the walls to avoid splash oil from the gallery. it compresses the oring firmly but doesn't shear it.maybe it would even stay without the bolt.
    gases should get out.
    20210829_145246.jpg
    took some minutes to adjust the bolt to the intake with intake gasket installed. .
    jammed it and here we are.
    so yeah that's it. tell me what you think

Desoto291Hemi and warhorseracing like this.