Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fremont Dragstrip Today Oct 2009! Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Oct 20, 2009.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

Wow...That's very cool!! Thanks for sharing.

2. M.Edell

M.Edell

I just went through my tons of Drag Racing Videos that a friend made for me and found I have American Nitro! I'll be watching that tomorrow!

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Those were the days-Thanks

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

The Trophy Girl in that pic is my Sons God Mother! Her name is Twala, she had that Pic Framed in her Hallway, she was a trophy Girl at Fremont in the 60's

5. Here's a short video clip (from the Jackson Bros. "BAD BOY ALTEREDS" DVD) of the Jewel "T" AA/Altered in action @ Fremont Raceway:

NOTE: Disregard the voice-over stating "let's take a look at some of the famous
    double-A Altereds of the 1970's
    " ... this footage was taken in 1967 and/or 1968.

... and be sure to checkout my Davis ~ Ingram Jewel "T" AA / Altered ... Lotsa Pics!!! thread.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  6. M.Edell

M.Edell

What year did they move the tower to the West Side?

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

What you're out of pics already? lol!

8. Awesome old pics and video.....thanks for posting!....keep em coming!!

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

Well alright then...

10. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thank you Thank You
    Do you know what year they moved the Tower though? I'm guessing it was early 70's? anyone know? Just curious...

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow this thread really took off since I was here last.

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

14. M.Edell

M.Edell

LOL ,True..but its still illegal street racing, whether it be Ricers or hot rods.. I'm just saying with the population of the Bay Area, there's no reason they shouldnt have a 1/4 Mile track in operation somewhere.

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

Here's one for ya...:eek:

16. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Dig that fancy '60 Plymouth convertible tow car!

17. narley Ned

narley Ned

Back when I was in high school in the late 50's early 60's I would read in Hot Rod and rod and Custom about all the drag strips and car clubs and cool cars that were in Cal. Growing up in farm country in northern Indiana where not much happens going to Cal. was a dream that my friends and I talked about often. I finally got to take a trip out to Cal. in the summer of 1975. My wife and I took 2 months off work and drove out. We visited almost every place we had seen on TV or read about. We spent most of are time in the SoCal area I went to drag races at Pomona, Bakerfield, saw George Barris's shop etc. I will always remember Cal. as it was when we were there. I retired in 2002 and wife and I decided to take another trip to Cal. What a shock! WE saw a few things that we saw in 1975 but most of the other things we saw were gone. What a shame what was allowed to happen out there.

18. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yeah the last 30 years have brought alot of change to Ca for sure..mostly not in a good way either..

19. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Just for fun and education, here's a 1942 photo of what was the future site of Fremont Raceway. It was then known as Heath Field and it was an auxiliary landing practice field to the nearby Moffett Naval Air Station. Moffett housed both Navy and Air Corps units at the beginning of WWII. These are Army Air Corps Vultee BT-13 trainers.

[​IMG]

20. M.Edell

M.Edell

That is very Cool!!!

21. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Great shot.

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

Seriously F'in BAD ASS!!!

23. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Sure is sad to see the track's present condition. I prefer to remember it as it was when I attended there in 1968. I'd post some of my photos, but I see that has already been taken care of.:D

24. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

We ran our '40 Willys pick up at Fremont in the NDRA series ( The Bobondis Bros. ) and had a blast.Great strip and well managed.It was great to be there and see the guys present Gray with the "Rolling Rice Bowl" re-creation and to see Fatty,Moreland and Cole race.Wonderful memories---thanks for sharing the great pixs and stories !! Some of the best times ever.

25. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

:eek: Ohh SHIIIIT!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  26. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Here's my contribution. I was 17 and used to race my mom's Belair Wed nites for $12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. TimSwneson

TimSwneson

Hello,

I'm Timothy Swenson, President of the Museum of Local History in Fremont. I have been writing on local history for a number of years. I've just finished a number of local history papers, so I'm looking for a new research subject and think that the Fremont Raceways would a good project.

I'm looking for pictures of the raceway (including the facilities). I'm also looking for personal stories and information about the history of the raceway. I plan on doing research through newspaper archives, but stories about the raceway will give a good start as to where to research.

I've love to hear from the readers of this board that remember the raceway. Please contact me via e-mail at [email protected].

To see examples of the work that I have done, check the Museum website at: www.museumoflocalhistory.org and click on the "published documents" page.

Odds are the final paper will be released under a Creative Commons license and made available on the Museum website as a free download.

Thanks,

Timothy Swenson
    President, Museum of Local History

The Museum of Local History covers the history of Washington Township (Fremont, Newark, Union City). Volunteers from the Museum are the leading writers of local history and have written for The Argus, Tri-City Voice, and have written three nationally published books.

28. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

Super Theif was taken at Irwindale.

I remember taken it.

Plum

29. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

My brother raced motorcycles there in the early 60'S. I raced a 1961 HD Sportster and he raced a 1957 74 CI HD. I still have the trophies. He's gone now but I still have the memories.

30. sdluck

sdluck

I went to school with Chets Daughter, Linda we called her Wonder Woman. I think she is a Lawyer.I drag raced,worked on a sprint car for track manager Dave Vodden drove,worked on motorcyles flat track, drag, and motocross,raced my foreign stock. We were out there 4to 5 nites a week. Saw Chet at Hot Rods on the beach in Santa Cruz some years back heard his wife had died.He still looked the same. Darren Brassfield (sp) dad was also involved in baylands.