Register now to get rid of these ads!

Freight cost to ship an engine block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel pump, Dec 18, 2003.

1. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I may be shipping a bare engine block from Michigan to Texas. Any idea how does this (besides truckers) and how much it might cost [​IMG]

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Fill up my tank a few times and give me an address!

Fat Hack Freight, Inc! [​IMG]

3. Pick up my frame while you're there, dude. I'll hook you up with the Hardee's motherload. [​IMG]

Jay

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

By truck is probably the cheapest.Ship from terminal and have buyer pick up at nearest terminal. Try YELLOW FREIGHT. A few years back i bought a flathead block for $200 and it cost $100 to ship it from Ohio to FL. If you know someone who has a busines acount , they get a cheaper rate.

5. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

UPS won't touch stuff over 150 lbs, and the post office won't touch stuff over 70.

The best bet may be to put the block on a pallet and call around and ask for quotes on trucking one pallet.

6. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Had a guy ship me a 70 lb amp from texas to maine 2nd day air, cost me 150 bucks. Could have got it regular UPS ground for $47.
    I wasn't pleased.
    Eitherway, if you can case it, get an all up weight and enter the zip code into UPS website and you'll get a rate.
    You could also try having a word with C.C.X transportation they do a lot down the corridor.

7. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

How big is the engine?
    How far are you from Eau Claire?
    Jim

8. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

try fed ex freightways, tell them its class 85 you can get a quote on line too.

9. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Yeah hell it might go UPS,give it a try.

10. purplepickup

purplepickup

I know you said some other way than truckers but I'll tell you what trucking cost me. I bought a bare block from Scoggin Dickeys in Lubbock Texas last year and they charged me $125 to have it trucked up here to Michigan. The shipping weight was 200 lb. It was damaged in shipment and I had to pay the freight to ship it back. It only cost me $45 since I shipped it from where I work and since we're a big company we get discounted rates on freight. I think Scoggins ripped me a little. [​IMG] If you know somebody that works at a place up by you that ships a lot of freight, maybe they could ship it for you on their discount. If not, it will probably cost around $100-$150 to just ship it from terminal to terminal. Maybe enjenjo will see this. He works at Roadway and has a better idea of what freight costs are nowadays. I don't remember the freight companies I used but I can find out.

11. cartman

cartman

Hey Rich,
    When I get to work in the morning I'll see what I can come up with. We ship LTL and truck load all the time. If you let me know where it's going maybe I can stick on it a truck with some of my stuff. I'll PM ya my phone number.

12. carkiller

carkiller

I just today priced 300 pounds from omaha to sacramento crated $137.00 by truck. (Brown Transfer)

13. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Matt,
    Thanks a lot for the offer. If this deal goes through I'll give you a call. Thanks again.

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Any thoughts on getting a BBC from Indy to L.A.? And how much it's going to cost? I'm thinking of using Overnight Express. Dad bought a '36 interior and it cost $237 for 300 lb, Ocala to Indy. The guy buying the motor suggests taking it apart and shipping via Grayhound. Anyone ever heard of that?

15. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

Django, load up the truck, throw in my engine and tranny also and get your ass out here, or finish your 36 put a tralier hitch on it come out to VLV and I'll take it from there. that will give you two months to get your shit finished.
    FS

16. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

For me to have a SBS shortblock shipped from Suck-E-Motors in Cali to my house was $300 if I remember right. I could've saved $70 or $80 if I picked it up at the terminal.

17. Munson

Munson
    from Tempe, AZ

I don't know about truck liners (they may be a great option) but UPS will ship an engine from a "buisness". They'll probably tell a regular joe to #%$#-off. I know through my friends company we've shipped a shifter kart across the country (250lbs) for ~$100.
    Shopping around always pays, but patience sucks.
    j