Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Freak Accident Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brady D., Apr 20, 2017.

1. Brady D.

Brady D.

I need some advice on something that happened to my car today......

Apparently while my 52' Ford (8ba engine) was in the shop getting some repairs done to the roof (that was poorly chopped by the previous owner), the ignition was inadvertently left on which caused the electronic fuel pump to run constantly!

Long story short is that it pumped all of the gasoline through the Holley 94 carb into the block (the oil now has gasoline in it). Will I be okay to just drain the oil and change the filter? I figured I should run it for a little bit after the oil change then do it once again. Do you think my engine is going to be ok and am I on the right track?

Thank you for the advice......

lowcoe and Montana1 like this.
  2. samurai mike

samurai mike

yes and yes

dana barlow and Brady D. like this.
  3. Just change the oil, while you're at it rebuild that carb, it shouldn't have done that!!

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Should be fine but I would let the crankcase air out for a while before firing it up.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

SEAAIRE354, Just Gary and Brady D. like this.

5. i think i would change the oil, pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders before trying to turn it over.

6. disconnecting the battery is a good habit for shops to get into. might want to suggest it to them.

7. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

No problem, just drain the oil and I would recommend a straight weight oil with zinc in it , like a 30 weight . I don't think you would have any worries after that.

bobwop, 39cdan and Brady D. like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

I agree on pulling the plugs and maybe some oil on those pistons before starting, and let it air out for a while.

9. o_O .....eye-yie-yie ..... this one is an obvious thread that I surely miss 3WLarry's commentaries.

Ummmmm' ..... so "Do fish get thirsty ?"

Sheez'. Yeah, change your oil bud. Fossil fuel thin, back to fossil fuel thick.

I'm taking my pants off, and reading HAMB for Larry all night. Cha-ching !! In memoriam !!

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Actually had that happen to my OT Willy's Jeep. I run an electric backup fuel pump, somehow known only to God and my local fortune teller (and possibly a grandchild) it pumped the crankcase full when parked. I drained it replaced the oil and it's fine, still runs like a Singer Sewing Machine.

Brady D. likes this.
  11. Brady D.

Brady D.

Thanks for all the quick advice everyone!!!! I appreciate the help!!!

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

Probably has fuel in the cylinders too. Turn the motor by hand with the plugs out. Don't spin it with the starter with plug wire laying near the holes!!!!!

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. ^^THIS^^ And maybe while the plugs are out spin it over with the starter a bit to build a little oil pressure and circulate the fresh oil.

Brady D. and Just Gary like this.
  14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Change the oil and filter and your good to go.
    I believe I second the idea of checking your carb, and maybe how much pressure the pump is putting out. That pump should have been able to run all day and should not have filled the motor with oil. The float needle and seat are bad, or the pump is putting out too much pressure and blowing past the needle and seat. A fuel pump regulator and maybe a fuel return line might be in order. Gene

bobwop, Brady D., slimcat7m3 and 2 others like this.
  15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Don't 2-cycle engines run on a 50:1 gas/oil mix? You should be OK after an oil change.

lowcoe and Brady D. like this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes change oil .....I'm not a fan of electric fuel pumps.....ok. Wire a switch so its on when you require fuel...

Brady D. likes this.
  17. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Funny story about that, we build 305, 360, and 410 Sprint car engines. We also designed a dyno starting system for our Dyno jet in 1992. We sell them for Dynojet, And Superflow. Anywho long story short we are the only place to get a sprint car chassis dyno tuned for roughly 600 miles. So a guy brought his car to us we strap it down go to start it no bueno. Take stacks off and look down the Injector methanol, level with the butterflies. So drain all oil, pull plugs. Let her drain fill it back up with oil then ran it 15 pulls. It was hilarious, moral of story shut your fuel valves off.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobwop and Brady D. like this.
  18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only with ignition key on....by the way....keyed only

49ratfink likes this.
  19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Key off..no fuel....

49ratfink and Brady D. like this.
  20. carbking

carbking

Just one of the reasons why electric fuel pumps should have the permanent wiring on an oil pressure switch, or other safety switch. Think what might have happened in an accident if the driver were incapacitated!

Jon.

SEAAIRE354, hipster, Brady D. and 3 others like this.
  21. Agree with CKing. There is a lesson here. A relay for the pump, kept activated by the oil pressure would help. To prime gas for starting would require a starter bypass ... simple diode. I'm not certain that everyone would want to install this but think I will.

And a connection to the fuel gauge so the pump doesn't run dry.
    Add a switch under the drivers seat to the relay in case the car ends upside down.
    Another one if the driver goes unconscious.
    And maybe a computer to monitor and call 911 in case of ...
    No, just call AAA in case of.

Brady D. likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did you try to start motor? still parked at body shop? when draining the oil be sure to have a large pan to catch all of the oil/gas mix - it will come out very fast - do not use a standard drop light or anything that has heat anywhere near drain plug where gas/oil will come out from - friend had a Hot Rod shop and was checking for a similar situation - put regular size drain pan under oil pan & used a standard bulb drop light hanging from frame - gas shot past drain pan & hit bulb - instant fire!! - two lucky things: one he was laying on a piece of rug that helped contain spread of gas/oil and a friend showed up at that exact moment to help pull him out from under the car - he was not seriously injured - car mostly fried - shop mainly surface damage - be very careful

23. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

While you're at it, Go down to your local Pick-a-Part and get an inertia cut off switch and wire it into the fuel pump wiring circuit. I always do this when I run fuel injection or an electric fuel pump. It will cut the power to the fuel pump in case of an accident. Cheap insurance.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  24. People here will tell you that an oil pressure fuel interrupter switch isn't needed. They get it in their head that it's to shut the engine down if oil pressure is lost thus supposed to save the engine from death- the argument is that the damage is already done. The same will say that a NSS is not needed either.

SEAAIRE354, Dino 64 and Johnboy34 like this.
  25. morac41

morac41

Hi ... Wire your electric fuel pump through the oil pressure switch so that it only active when the engine has oil pressure......you probally need a pressure regulator as well and set it on 2 lbs.......

Brady D. likes this.
  26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've often thought about this; how would you be able to shut off the pump in case of an accident? I saw a car fire a couple of weeks ago at a gas station (eek!) in Tuscaloosa. I have always run mechanical pumps on my carbureted cars for their simplicity and reliability. However, if I were to run a Holley EFI, I sure hope that there is some sort of cut off circuit built into their wiring somewhere.
    Is that inertia cut off switch required if there is a return fuel line to the tank?

27. tb33anda3rd.I do that with the 56 Chrysler every time I pull it in the shop, no matter what I do with it. Good thing to do. You never know whats going to happen. Bruce.

tb33anda3rd and Brady D. like this.
  28. Brady D.

Brady D.

There is a fuel pump regulator
    I actually did try to start the motor before we had noticed what had happened.....thankfully it didn't start or hydro-lock on me before I figured out what happened.

bobwop likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D

30. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

When they found out, did someone say "oops"?

49ratfink, Brady D. and Engine man like this.